FIFA Punishes Zidane and Materazzi

fonz

France playmaker Zinedine Zidane has been handed a three-match ban and a fine for his World Cup final head-butt on Italy defender Marco Materazzi, who himself has been suspended for two games and fined for provoking the incident.

With Zidane having quit soccer after the World Cup final, the ban is academic, but the 34-year-old instead will spend three days working with world governing body FIFA.

Zidane was fined 7,500 Swiss francs ($6,000) while Materazzi must pay 5000 Swiss francs ($4,000) for the incident, which occurred in extra time of the World Cup final with the match poised at 1-1.

I still maintain that a headbutt is a very strange way to react to an ethnic slur. I mean of all the ways to retaliate by inflicting physical harm.....headbutt? A delayed one, at that. This means he either mulled over how he would hurt the guy and settled on headbutt, or tried to plan the headbutt perfectly. Either way, it was silly.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I still maintain that a headbutt is a very strange way to react to an ethnic slur. I mean of all the ways to retaliate by inflicting physical harm.....headbutt? A delayed one, at that. This means he either mulled over how he would hurt the guy and settled on headbutt, or tried to plan the headbutt perfectly. Either way, it was silly.

The way I saw it was, Materazzi said what he said, Zidane did a quick double take, and I think then from the beginning of his little jog he knew what he was going to do. Not to mention that was a textbook headbutt.

By the way, it looks as though Zidane will be keeping the Golden Ball. That punishment apparently wasn't even discussed at the meeting.

How can you fine Materazzi? All he did was taunt. So you can't talk :censored: to your opponents anymore because they might headbutt you? Crazy.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

How can you fine Materazzi? All he did was taunt. So you can't talk :censored: to your opponents anymore because they might headbutt you? Crazy.

He was fined because his taunt was a racist remark. FIFA's commitment to stop racism on (and off) the pitch takes no prisoners.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

He was fined because his taunt was a racist remark.

Both parties have reported that the incident did not involve any racist remarks. Zidane claims Materazzi insulted his mother and sister; Materazzi denies insulting his mother but made no comment on the sister part. Again, both Zidane and Materazzi have denied speculation that a racial slur was used. The only people saying that are the lip-readers.

How can you fine Materazzi?  All he did was taunt.  So you can't talk  :censored: to your opponents anymore because they might headbutt you?  Crazy.

He was fined because his taunt was a racist remark. FIFA's commitment to stop racism on (and off) the pitch takes no prisoners.

I hearded Argentinean TV that FIFA said that Materazzi didn't actually taunted with racist insults.

And so?

Next time it's better that I shouldn't mention the women's genitals of my rivals when playing soccer five... :lol:

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Isnt Zidane Retired? How does this effect him?

Oh well if Im Materazzi it was worth it.

Zidane is retired from international play, so the three-match ban was just a "token" one. Zidane was also fined somewhere in the neighborhood of $6000 by FIFA. Additionally, he has offered to serve his inconsequential ban by helping FIFA's "humanitarian efforts" for three days. FIFA did not require Zidane to serve his suspension in this way.

As for Materazzi, he was fined around $4000, and banned two matches. He will miss the first two games of Euro 2008 qualifying, the second of which is against France.

Here's a good news story about Thursday's hearings:

http://www.mg.co.za/articlepage.aspx?area=...rticleid=278198

Both parties have reported that the incident did not involve any racist remarks. Zidane claims Materazzi insulted his mother and sister; Materazzi denies insulting his mother but made no comment on the sister part. Again, both Zidane and Materazzi have denied speculation that a racial slur was used. The only people saying that are the lip-readers.

I'd take the story of third party lip readers who do this for a living over the two parties involved trying to get out of an ugly situation without too much damage.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Suspending someone for three games after they've already retired from the game is like sending a kid to bed without dinner when liver & brussel sprouts are being served.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

I'd take the story of third party lip readers who do this for a living over the two parties involved trying to get out of an ugly situation without too much damage.

There were other lip-readers with different stories. The one I was referring to (Jessica Rees, working for a British tabloid) had Materazzi calling Zidane the "son of a terrorist whore". Another lip-reader (supposedly) independently agreed with Rees.

A lip-reader working for a newspapaer in Brazil claimed Materazzi called Zidane's sister a whore, which is closest to what both players have hinted at. "I wish an ugly death to you and your family" was another possibility, according to lip-readers.

Many lip-readers had Materazzi adding "So just f** off" after whatever their perceived content of the message was. Long story short, there is rampant specualtion from every angle.

Here is an article that reports several of the theroies:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/soccer-world...2383741561.html

Its kinda stupid that Materazzi gets fined and suspended for teasing Zidane seeing how that's commonplace on the pitch. What's even more funny, is that had he not been headbutted, he never would have been suspended! Where's the sense in that?

Archived