Talkin' madden

Discrim

a while back i was messing around with tournament mode in madden, and i realized i'd never really used it.  so i decided i'd see how far i could take the 96 Pats against a field of them and 15 current teams.  what happened was I had four blowouts and the last game was down to the wire.  aforementioned last game was against the Eagles for the tournament championship, and after i got an early FG, the Eagles tore me 3 new ones...it was all i could do to get in the endzone to make it look respectable for halftime, Philly led 21-10.  The Eagles drove down the field a couple more times, but the Pats were able to hold em to two field goals in the third...also, here the comeback started.  receivers started getting open for me, occasionally a running lane would open up...and before i knew it, i was only down 3, driving for a potential winning TD.  i wanna say it was fourth down cus it's cool to make a huge play in a do or die situation, but it might have been third down.  anyway, here's the Play of the Game, Discrimihater with the play by play:

Bledsoe drops back, rolls to his right...he's still rolling...throws it to the endzone...right to an Eagle safety who leaps for the pick...WAIT!!!  I DON'T BELIEVE IT!!!  TOUCHDOWN!!!  TOUCHDOWN!!!  HOLY CRAP!!!  Terry Glenn with the touchdown, ladies and gentlemen...my oh my!  Terry Glenn came straight out of nowhere, snatches victory from the talons of defeat...America, you had to see it to believe it!  
 Madden or reality, this was one you had to see :o

i mean, the Eagles safety, he was in the air thinking "yeah, i'm gonna win this thing for us!"  and Terry Glenn just comes in like a suckerpunch, like i said you had to see it!  and that being the last game i had to win, that was the tournament winner (if that catch hadn't been made, it would have only been my first loss so i'd have had to play a second game against the Eagles).

on the other games tip, i got NBA shootout 04 a couple weeks ago, and i got two words for ya: Career Mode.  I'm running three of these, two guys i made up on a whim and the third guy is a good friend of mine, former Cincinnati PG Taron Barker.  here are the offers my guys got:

Ramon Cartagena, SG, 10 game summer w/Knicks:

Columbus Riverdragons, season (only offer so i took it)

Randy Lewis, PF, 5 game summer w/Bulls:

Bulls, 10 games(took this one)

Sonics, 10 games

Fayetteville Patriots, season

Taron Barker, PG, 3 game summer w/Bucks:

Bucks, 10 games(took it)

Riverdragons, season

all i gotta say is other sports games should have this.  then again, i also think NHL and MLB games should have playable minor leagues, which i doubt will be seen until PS3, Xbox 2, etc, if then at that.  i gotta play a little longer to see if i can get traded, though, cus that would be icing on the cake.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I will share with you my miracle season of NCAA Football 2004. I'm the #110th ranked Central Michigan Chippewas, according to the Pre-Season poll. I started my season against Michigan, a game that was destined to be a loss. But they missed the game winning fieldgoal as the clock ran down, and I somehow beat them in OT, it was truely a miracle. I took this team which lacked a solid QB, RB, WR's, and pretty much every division and swept through the MAC divisions with scares from Bowling Green, Northern Illinois, and Ball State. Undefeated in Conference play, my Non-Conference schedule was slightly less difficult than my Conference one.

I guided the team to the #8 BCS Standing and the MAC Championship game, and won that in an offensive shootout, with both QB's having thrown for over 450 yards in that game. Key losses by Kansas State and Auburn boosted and their respected conference championship games boosted me into the #6 spot... and what SHOULD (but is not in the game) an automatic bid to a BCS bowl. I was mad, but soon learned I shouldn't be as I trailed the mediocre (6-6) Washington State Cougars 14-0 at the end of the first of the Motor City Bowl, and lacked any offensive attack. My offense and Defense got their stuff together and the game was sent into OT on a miracle last second drive (by me) with a 24-24 score. The first OT - both teams score and get the extra point. Second OT - Washington State quickly scores a Touchdown. So I drove down to the 9 yardline and got a first down, but suffered an 11 yard sack (the next 2 plays get my 2 total yards and there I am... 4th and goal from the 18 yardline, needing a TD to win. The commentary would sounded something like this.

"(QB #10) drops back to pass on this crucial 4th down... he looks left, and rolls right, avoiding the defensive end. (CB = ??) recognizes (QB #10)'s ability to run, leaves his man and rushes from the corner. (QB #10) is hit as he throws and the ball flies incom- no! It's a one handed catch by (WR #80). He avoids the tackle and has one man to beat, he's to the 10, the 5,... he jukes... and he's dragged down! Did he get in?! I think he's short! He's short! And the Cougars have won the Motor City Bowl by a half a yard!"

It was heartbreaking. And i was deeply saddened till I got offered a job at Wisconsin... a school with a 99 rated RB and 3 quality WR's :D

IUe6Hvh.png

I will share with you my miracle season of NCAA Football 2004. I'm the #110th ranked Central Michigan Chippewas, according to the Pre-Season poll. I started my season against Michigan, a game that was destined to be a loss. But they missed the game winning fieldgoal as the clock ran down, and I somehow beat them in OT, it was truely a miracle. I took this team which lacked a solid QB, RB, WR's, and pretty much every division and swept through the MAC divisions with scares from Bowling Green, Northern Illinois, and Ball State. Undefeated in Conference play, my Non-Conference schedule was slightly less difficult than my Conference one.

I guided the team to the #8 BCS Standing and the MAC Championship game, and won that in an offensive shootout, with both QB's having thrown for over 450 yards in that game. Key losses by Kansas State and Auburn boosted and their respected conference championship games boosted me into the #6 spot... and what SHOULD (but is not in the game) an automatic bid to a BCS bowl. I was mad, but soon learned I shouldn't be as I trailed the mediocre (6-6) Washington State Cougars 14-0 at the end of the first of the Motor City Bowl, and lacked any offensive attack. My offense and Defense got their stuff together and the game was sent into OT on a miracle last second drive (by me) with a 24-24 score. The first OT - both teams score and get the extra point. Second OT - Washington State quickly scores a Touchdown. So I drove down to the 9 yardline and got a first down, but suffered an 11 yard sack (the next 2 plays get my 2 total yards and there I am... 4th and goal from the 18 yardline, needing a TD to win. The commentary would sounded something like this.

"(QB #10) drops back to pass on this crucial 4th down... he looks left, and rolls right, avoiding the defensive end. (CB = ??) recognizes (QB #10)'s ability to run, leaves his man and rushes from the corner. (QB #10) is hit as he throws and the ball flies incom- no! It's a one handed catch by (WR #80). He avoids the tackle and has one man to beat, he's to the 10, the 5,... he jukes... and he's dragged down! Did he get in?! I think he's short! He's short! And the Cougars have won the Motor City Bowl by a half a yard!"

It was heartbreaking. And i was deeply saddened till I got offered a job at Wisconsin... a school with a 99 rated RB and 3 quality WR's :D

i got one question: how the hell did you beat michigan with CMU?  cus that's a miracle in itself :o  

currently using both UW and Notre Dame in a dynasty, i can say you're gonna love AD and Jonathan Orr.  i'm assuming you're gonna be able to manage with the QBs you inherit.

i actually got a couple more stories...this one's from NCAA 2002.  my first North Texas team after i left Wisconsin was very lacking in talent, think Archie Manning's days with the Saints: a good QB and NOTHING ELSE!!!  hell, this fullback i recruited was a better center than the goddamn center!  add to that, i think in either the first or second year, i only had one halfback, so i didn't run as much as i'd have liked.

this other one was in NCAA 2003, i was Temple at Air Force, and it was closer than i would have liked.  i think it was my third year with the Owls, and anyways, it was raining and i was down by a couple.  i was thinkin them cadets don't quit, and also if i gave my big FB the ball he'd do something with it.  so i ran FB option out of flexbone, and the big fella lost it...only to pick it back up and basically score untouched.  if that's not enough, in the same game, i'm running in with my QB, and he fumbles...only to pick it up and walk in untouched-what are the odds of that? :)

2016cubscreamsig.png

Ps2 users, google a roster search, and youll find guys that go and put in all the names, you can send him your mem card for 5 bucks, or heel send you a newbie for 30(25for card, 5 for info)

he supposedly does a great job,and i think there are others who do it now to.  a hefty task id rather pay for then do, but he does do every roster player for everyteam, its nuts.

ps.  if anyone has maddenonline, im mckiller43 on there, im terrible online, im only good at mopping up my crappy friends.

I popped in Madden 2003 last night (waiting until 2004 drops a bit in price :P) and recontinued my franchise. I was playing in the preseason, 49ers vs. Seahawks...

I'm a TD behind, and the Seahawks have the ball, 2:30 left. I have no timeouts. Seahawks on their own 40. They run a sweep to the left, their RB breaks it for 15 before I let him score. I get the ball back on my own 25, down 38-24, 2 minute drill time. I drive down, with the help of the sidelines and the 2 minute warning, I score with about 1:15 left. I try the onside kick, and the Seahawks get the ball near midfield. I figure it's over, they'll just sit on it and I'll take the loss. It's only preseason, anyway. What happens next is something I've never, ever, ever, EVER heard of. They kneel successfully once, and with around 35 seconds left, THE QUARTERBACK FUMBLES THE SNAP ON THE KNEEL! I recovered and fired a quick sideline pass to get myself on the Seahawks 25. I then threw three straight incompletions, 4th and 10 on the Seahawks 25, 7 seconds left, all or nothing. I called a play called I think "Corners" where the tight ends run streaks and the two WR's run some sort of hitch/post route. I drop back, scramble to the right being chased by a defender, and fire this off-balance throw to the corner of the endzone, caught...but they call him out of bounds! I didn't think he got 2 feet in, but the booth reviewed and overturned it! After all this, I set up for the PAT and one of their linemen jumps. I'm on the 1, down 38-37, I decided to just go for it. I had already converted a 4th and 1 earlier with a simple fullback plunge, so I did that again, it worked, and I walked away with a 39-38 win. Greatest game I've ever played  :)

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

shifting a gear, now i'm talking Faceoff 2003 briefly.  I got the Avs making a playoff run, got several eventful games:

2nd round, Game 4 Avs vs Stars, COL leads 3 games to 0

I don't know what it is with this game, but it's like teams will step up when facing elimination...i think this is why i keep coming back to it, despite everything i know is messed up about it.  anyway, the Stars weren't going to bow out w/o a fight, and i got three of em: the game in general was a defensive struggle, and then i had two in 30 seconds in the second.  Fight #1 was Chris Drury vs Sergei Zubov.  Drury wasn't as quick with the fists as Zubov, and lost this one.  Almost immediately, a second fight erupted between Aebischer and Turco, and Abby came out on top of this one.  the final, i'm thinking it was either 1-0 or 2-1 Avs.

West Finals, Games 4 and 5 COL vs STL

3 straight close games for me...and i feel drained.  

Game 4, COL leads series 3-0:

in the second OT, Chris Pronger knocks a rebound past David Aebischer, Blues extend series with 3-2 win.  

This one was real physical, i'm somewhat shocked no Avs were injured in the filming of this game.   St. Louis set the tone the whole way, but in the third I was able to exploit good chances to tie the game up.

Game 5, COL leads 3-1

another physical battle, and I was trying to make a Martin Straka goal stand up.  then Tyson Nash somehow scored, taking us into OT...almost.  With about 15 seconds left, Chris Drury put a couple good dekes on Brent Johnson and then fired.  Goal, 2-1 Avs, game over, series over.

2016cubscreamsig.png

I was playing Madden last night against my friend.  We are tied about to go into overtime and hes driving.  So with 4 seconds left in the game he throws a pass right into the hands of my cornerback and he takes it back for the gaming winning touchdown.  Final Score 13-7

Also,  I was kicking his butt with the Falcons and I had run a bunch of tosses to set up a HB Pass.  So Vick Pitches it to Dunn, Dunn rolls back into the pocket and hits Brian Finneran in the endzone for a touchdown pass.

duke-white-sm.gifcavs2-sm.gifyankees2-sm.gifga-sm.gif

duke.gif

brownsSig.gif

something similar happened to me last night, i got two separate dynasties going, one is Wisconsin/Notre Dame, other is three created schools i rotate.  This was with the created schools, the overall strongest of the three-the UW Racine Greenshirts vs Wisconsin in the Battle of Dairyland.  It was UW leading 3-0 for much of the game, a real defensive battle.  Then, I put the ball in the hands of my bruising runners, and holes started opening.  before i knew it UWR was up 14-3.  The Badgers, who were missing Lee Evans and Anthony Davis, forged on.  Sorgi got one to Darrin Charles for  a late TD, but they couldn't get the 2 point conversion.  so then on the last play of the game, the Badgers are just outside the 20, Sorgi chucks it to the endzone, and one of my freaking linebackers makes the pick...thankfully, for much of his run he only had to contend with linemen, but one of the wideouts was catching up during the homestretch.  somehow, the LB got in for the TD...*sigh of relief*

final- Greenshirts 21, Badgers 9, closer than the score says.

2016cubscreamsig.png

Has anybody besides me played NBA Live 2004 personally I think it is awful.  Last years version was way better.  It was a last smoother last year.  This years game seams a lot more crowded to me and the flow of the game isn't like last years and can someone explain to me why you have a 2 shot buttons one for lay-ups and dunks and the other for regular shots?

duke.gif

brownsSig.gif

I haven't played many of the new sports games since i last had NHL 99. I was a huge NHL95 fan, that was a great game, especially when i had my old HABS dynasty going, the team wasn't exactly the real roster, but the 5 full seasons i had on it where truely special.

In what would have been the 96/97 season, I was 3 goals shy of having all my forwards with at least 20 goals, one of my created players (friend of mine) had 63 goals, while Turgeon bagged 50. Another created player of mine snagged 40G and 40A, and me with three 40 win seasons, not too shabby. I also added Zubov, Keane, Racicot, Daignaut, and Sakic to the team, and had guys like Carbanou, Petrov and Odeline.

I'll admit that the difficulty wasn't quite what it is now, but those playoff games where some intense, playing the Stars, Sharks (twice, with Belfour at the time, go figure) Leafs and Wings. NHL99 ended the 2d era, and I never really had a real fun time with the games after that like I did with that game.

But there is nothing like that satisfaction of watching your players with the Cup after a long, long season. 5 straight hard earned cups. No sports game has seemed the same since.

Has anybody besides me played NBA Live 2004 personally I think it is awful. Last years version was way better. It was a last smoother last year. This years game seams a lot more crowded to me and the flow of the game isn't like last years and can someone explain to me why you have a 2 shot buttons one for lay-ups and dunks and the other for regular shots?

haven't played Live this year, played Live 03 and hated it.  it was like Street with rules...and teh fact taht Arcade adn Sim modes were switched around..how do you manage that?    

and going again, anyone played ESPN NHL hockey?  i got it for the sweetheart deal of $30, and i'm sort of getting the hang of it.  i post at thunderpuck regularly, and i see a lot of complaints about ENH though.  i got a couple sets of sliders that can make the game playable, though, and i had a damn good game this morning, Islanders(me) vs Sabres.  Anyone want em, I can post em.

a strange buying trip: I was about to buy Hitz Pro last week, as there was a copy on the used rack for $35 at software etc.  usually, you're walking out of the store in 3 minutes.  dude was looking for about 20 minutes and couldn't find Hitz :angry: and then i left, forgetting i could simply buy a new copy.  some of the guys at TP been raving about Hitz for a couple years now, tried it out last year and i was surprised at how much i liked it.  if you got it, how you like it?

2016cubscreamsig.png

I don't have Hitz but I have played it before.  Man that is one fun game.  The best part is knocking the guy through the glass.  My friends and I had a tournament and the scores of the games were 11-7 and 10-4.  When you play the computer the game is a lot more realistic in terms of goal scoring.  This is a really fun game and this is coming from a guy who really doesn't care for hockey.

duke.gif

brownsSig.gif

dammit, the Target here has Hitz Pro on the clearance rack...why, search me, but it's there next to ENH. funny thing is i'd gone to target last week and Hitz was nowhere, so i settled for ENH. NOW them bastards let it out, when i have about 8 dollars :angry:

oddly, Racine not resembling anything remotely close to a hockey town might actually help me get this next week...this is like the 5th or 6th largest city in Wisconsin and we don't even have a rink ???  cus there were 4 copies of ENH last week, and i have one of them.  this week, there are two copies... :D

2016cubscreamsig.png

Well, this has been a busy Madden week for me. I went to my same friends house again yesterday and we played Madden again. Well, we did a fantasy draft and I got Aaron Brooks, Deuce McCalister, and Joe Horn, Daunte Stallworth, Micheal Lewis, Junior Seau, Tommy Polley, and Sam Madison. Well, I lost the first game 28-21 to my friend. He got 2 lucky kick return tds and was Blitzing cheap. Here's how he was blitzing. My o-line wouldn't pick taylor up.

X XXX

OOOO

The second game I played I won 17-0. I took the opening kick back and didn't look back. I kicked a field goal right before going into Half-time. Then as he was driving Vick scrambled to the left fumbled and Sam Madison picked it up and took it to the house for the final 6. Then at the end he didn't want to get shutout so he kicked a field goal but my guy was offsides so he accepted the penalty and decided to go for a TD and threw a pick to end the game.

They simmed the game with the Comp cause we were running out of time. So we were 2-1 going into the championship.

I was facing Tommy the person who beat me 28-21 the first game. He kicks off and Daunte Stallworth takes the opening kick-off back for a TD. Then he gets the ball and is driving on me and he throws a pick and my guy winds up at the ten. Then Brooks drops back and fumbles so he gets the ball back with four seconds left and runs out the clock. So we start the second half with him getting the ball and Chris Chambers takes it back for a TD. (My guys took the opening kickoff back in all three games.) So anyways the score remains the same so we go to OT tied 7-7. I won the toss calling heads in OT. So I got the ball. I was driving and just as it seamed my drive had stalled a miracle happened. Brooks threw an INT but the guy got hit and fumbled my team recovered and took it far enough for a first down. Then we wound up punting the ball away anyways. So he drove down the field and got the ball to the 10-11. Then my friend makes the moron mistake of the game he runs back to the 20-22 yd line to set up for a field goal. We are now in like the 6th OT. So he lines up to kick the field and Mare shanks the kick. Wide Right. I'm going nuts. So now I got the ball back after all seamed lost. My drive looks like its stalled at the fifty its 4th and 3 and I decided to go for it. So I look for McCallister on a screen and the ball is tipped by one of his defenders but lands in McCallister's hands and he takes it for a first down. Then I decided to implore the speed element even greater. I put in Micheal Lewis so now I have him and Daunte Stallworth both speed 97 in. So anyways I hit Stallworth for a first down but then Brooks got sacked for a loss and then I tried to hit Joe Horn for a pass but he dropped it. So, now in the 9th OT I am just trying to finish it so I decided to go for it on 4th and 15. The play by play would go like this.

Brooks drops back in the pocket, hes looking hes looking he sees Micheal Lewis and fires. Lewis catches it and takes off. He's got 3 men to beat. He runs by one, Jukes the other, and now its a mad dash to the endzone. Lewis blows by the defender and gallops into the endzone. TOUCHDOWN MICHEAL LEWIS! RAMS WIN RAMS WIN!
My friend couldn't believe he lost. Final score Rams 13 Dolphins 7 in 9 OT. I won the coveted Browns football. Man, that was a game

duke.gif

brownsSig.gif

and now it's time for some owning up time, went into my Cards/Falcons owner mode, and i'm 1-3 combined right now(Cards are 0-2, Falcons 1-1), having lost both games i've actually played.  and like my dynasty, i'm alternating between teams.  Week 1, the Lions were spankin my defense all thru the first half, and the only good thing that happened for AZ was an interception for a TD.  Lions 17-7 at the half.  Then I did it again somehow, so i'm back in this thing.  17-14 Detroit.  Then the Cards O actually does something: move the damn ball, and the Desert Birds actually take the lead with a little over 2 minutes left...only for Joey Harrington to tear up the field against my previously-brilliant secondary.  24-21 Lions final :angry:

Week 2, Falcons home opener vs Skins, Patrick Ramsey and Steve Spurrier don't wait to tear up the Falcons' DBs who, while experienced, have the short and slow doiuble whammy.  Add to that, like in real life, Michael Vick is out for about the first 7 games, second game he'll miss.  At first, the running game was on its game, the line was opening holes for Warrick Dunn.  Then the Falcons attempted to pass after the Skins got ahead 21-7.  Four things consistently happened, and they were all bad: sack, deflection, drop, pick.  By the end of the carnage, recent signee Brad Banks finished out the game for Atlanta in a 45-21 romp for the Skins.  This game was f'in embarrasing.

2016cubscreamsig.png

• 1 month later...
Today, I was playing my franchise as the New England Patriots. This is on All-Madden. I did a fantasy draft so my QB is Mike Vick, RB is Ahman Green and my go to WR is Torry Holt.  Well, anyways from the start its a shoot out.  The Giants win the toss and Kelly Holcomb hits Jabbar Gaffney on the third play for a 50+ yard TD.  Then, I answer back with a TD run by Vick.  Well, we answer back and forth once more.  Then, bad luck sets in I get a fumble that should have been a tuck rule taken back for a TD and the both didn't challenge.  Then,Vick sees a guy wide open and he bobbles the ball and its picked and taken back for a TD. 28-14 Giants.  Then, the tides turn I hit Ahman Green on the third play of the game for a 59 yd TD strike to open the second half.  I then hold the Giants to a 6 and out.  Drive down the field and hit Ahman Green for another TD.  I hold the Giants again and drive done the field and hit you guessed it Ahman Green for another TD pass. 35-28 Patriots.  Then, my best CB Samurai Rolle gets hurt and is out for the game.  So, they attack that side and hit Gaffney again for a long td strike.  I get the ball back with a little over 3 minutes to go.  I take the team down and Ahman Green scores another receiving TD.  The Giants again answer back and I get the ball with 40 seconds and my drive stalls so we go to overtime. 42-42 The Giants win the toss.  Just, as the Giants get to about my 45 yd line, the drive stalls. So, I get the ball back.  I hit Torry Holt and Tony Gonzalez to get into their territory.  Then, I hit Ahman Green on a swing pass which puts it deep in their territory.  I was scrambling with Vick trying to make something happen and Vick gets sacked back at that 47.  The next play Tony Gonzalez finds a hole in the zone and gets down to about the 2.  Now, normally people would kick a field goal.  Well, my kicker is Brett Conway and I lack confidence in him.  So I decide to run the ball with Ahman Green.  He runs up the gut on first down and gets stuffed.  The next play he gets to the one yard line and then the next play Ahman Green punches it in for the game winning TD.  48-42.  Pats go to 5-0.

duke.gif

brownsSig.gif

Archived