Yellowstone Quake

mfoster

yellowstone_quake_logo.jpg

Not sure I like this.

The team is out of Cody, yet went with a regionalized name that could lead folks to wonder if it's in Jackson. Personally, I don't like regional place names for low level/small market teams.

Then there's the logo itself. I think it's a little busy. I'm not sure there's a need for so many elements, especially the "Wyoming's Team" motto.

Still, at least it's professionally done, which is more than I can say for a lot of Jr. B logos.

Marc

Not sure I like this.

The team is out of Cody, yet went with a regionalized name that could lead folks to wonder if it's in Jackson.  Personally, I don't like regional place names for low level/small market teams.

Then there's the logo itself.  I think it's a little busy.  I'm not sure there's a need for so many elements, especially the "Wyoming's Team" motto.

Still, at least it's professionally done, which is more than I can say for a lot of Jr. B logos.

Marc

Cody's about as close to Yellowstone as Jackson Hole. Cody's just out of the East Entrance to the park. I grew up about an hour and a half away from Yellowstone in Idaho, so when I hear Yellowstone, I would think that West Yellowstone, MT, somehow got a hockey team. Jackson is more Tetons than Yellowstone to me.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

How about Black Hills for Rapid City, S.D., teams? Does that bother you?

I think the use of place names in naming/marketing strategy is often overlooked. Many times teams choose to ignore 80% - 95% of their market in favor of the a broader label that might appeal more to the other 5% - 20%. The real question is: does that 10% really need that broader place name to identify with the team, and does that outweigh any potential loss of identification to your core 90%? I don't have an answer, and I'd love to see any studies... but I suspect the overal impace is neutral to negative.

Think of it this way: Would a Wichita Falls team be better off as "Texoma"? Did the Oklahoma Redhawks get any real boost from their place name change (hard to measure since they changed nicknames, leagues, and ballparks). How many cities in California could use "Central Valley," but how many fans would the team get from outside their core city? Would Indianapolis teams be better served as the "Central Indiana _______"???

Of course, there are going to be examples that counter these. I think markets that are bimodal or greater are one. Temple/Killeen is commonly referred to as "Centex", and there are the Quad Cities and Tri Cities, and Hampton Roads...

But to answer your question... yes, I think it's stupid.

Marc

See, I think Black Hills is just fine for Rapid City. People who don't know where Rapid City is know where the Black Hills are.

Now, a name that bugs me coming out of my former city of residence, Bismarck: The Dakota Wizards. No way should they be called Dakota. It should be Bismarck. Dakota is just too broad for that kind of team name.

I guess that my overall contention is that if not using the name of a city or town adds to confusion, then don't do it. Yellowstone and Dakota add more confusion. Black Hills, on the other hand, lessens the the confusion.

That should also go for major sports. Minnesota is just fine for the Twins, Vikings, etc. Colorado is just fine for the Rockies. The Marlins, though, should be Miami, not Florida.

Cody's about as close to Yellowstone as Jackson Hole. Cody's just out of the East Entrance to the park. I grew up about an hour and a half away from Yellowstone in Idaho, so when I hear Yellowstone, I would think that West Yellowstone, MT, somehow got a hockey team. Jackson is more Tetons than Yellowstone to me.

Even when it says "Wyoming's Team" on the logo? :unsure:

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Not sure I like this.

The team is out of Cody, yet went with a regionalized name that could lead folks to wonder if it's in Jackson. Personally, I don't like regional place names for low level/small market teams.

Then there's the logo itself. I think it's a little busy. I'm not sure there's a need for so many elements, especially the "Wyoming's Team" motto.

Marc

WTF Wyoming has a NORPAC team now??? god. this league, like two years ago, when i started to go to P.S. Tomahawks Games, had 6 teams all from Wash or close to wash.

huugggee expansion

anyways dont like the logo i dunno how they would make it look on a blue jersey.

i guess i'll have to go to a game and see how they do it.

i'll post pics if i ever do see it.

I know this is a little off topic, but the NORPAC is a goon league, would personally never refer anyone I know up there. You want real hockey, America East :P

Actually WSHL is better than America East...

and NORPAC is pretty goon hockey but... those jerseys are perfect and I love everything about those jerseys... except the Wyoming's Team or whatever...

spacer.png

I agree that the logo is too busy - but it's still nice. I love the uniforms.

The timberline is a nice touch.

"I just hope that skater doesn't fall into the crack made by the quake"

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Archived