Mike martz

STL FANATIC

Hmm, it's unfair for someone to take Warner's job because of injury, but it wasn't unfair to take Trent Green's job by injury?

As far as I can tell, Trent Green has gotten another shot, and doing quite well, thank you very much.

There are some notable differences as well...

Trent Green was the starter, but had not yet played a regular season game for the club.

Warner has gone to the Super Bowl twice with the team, won one, was named SB MVP in that one, and has also been named NFL MVP one year.

In 2000, Green started 5 games, played quite well, and was able to obtain a starting position with another team because of it.

Warner has not had a legitimate shot since coming back.

Now I agree that you have a case with the Trent Green angle, but when did two wrongs start making a right.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't believe I haven't brought this up before, but I was at the game where Green got hurt (preseason vs. San Diego).  At the time most people were paying more attention to a small fight on the field rather than Green laid out on the turf.  As they were taking him off the field I remember calling my dad from the Dome and telling him, tongue firmly planted in cheek, that the Rams were going to win the Super Bowl.  There were people in that stadium ready to rush the field and kill Rodney Harrison.

The majority of people I talk to around here seem to be of the same mindset regarding the Warner situation -- it's going to take a dire, desparate situation to put Warner into a game.  The Rams realize that they are going to take a huge salary cap hit if and when they deal Warner in the offseason.  If Warner goes into a game and isn't absolutely perfect, it's only going to diminish the chances that the Rams will get anything of value for him in return and thus make a bad situation that much worse.  There's also a story that's been circulating under the radar that the Rams and Bears were close to striking a deal prior to this season but that the deal was nixed because the Bears' management was afraid that Brenda's mouth would create further instability in an already unstable situation.

Well, Green was out a whole year with an injury and Warner put up arguably (note: arguably) the best season a QB has ever had...at least one of...the Rams won it all. Warner could be back, and on many teams would have had another shot by now with Bulger's play. He will get his shot, and he will do great. If the Rams trade him, I'd like to see them trade Bruce and Faulk to the same team...

And, while I can't overlook the Eagles, you can't make too much of an arguement that they are better than the Rams...gotta see em play...probably home field for one or the other will be huge...

Although, those close games were Bulger's fault mainly...

And, you mention we should have lost game 2 against SF, but what you should really say is it was a terrible game and whoever ended up winning was gonna be lucky. They got lucky to accidently kick the ball right off our guy on a squib, and then we got lucky their WR was dumb...but that was just the luck and the end...

Also, you say we should have lost. Warner was supposed to miss that game cuz of the concussion, and then the QB situation was supposed to be reevaluated weekly...seeing as Martz said Warner was the starter, to keep Bulger in after one fill in game like that was ridiculous. What was more ridiculous is he acted like it was obvious Bulger should take over.

If the Rams trade him, I'd like to see them trade Bruce and Faulk to the same team...

...and while they're at it, if they wouldn't mind including Aeneas Williams and maybe even Torry Holt in that deal...

I don't know... Warner in a Bears jersey? It would heartbreaking... like Teemu Selanne ever returning to Winnipeg in opposing colours, or like the Jets moving to Phoenix... oh wait...

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

If the Rams trade him, I'd like to see them trade Bruce and Faulk to the same team...

...and while they're at it, if they wouldn't mind including Aeneas Williams and maybe even Torry Holt in that deal...

I don't know... Warner in a Bears jersey? It would heartbreaking... like Teemu Selanne ever returning to Winnipeg in opposing colours, or like the Jets moving to Phoenix... oh wait...

There's a lot of guys who I'd like to see go with him, but I was trying to be reasonable... ???  :;):

Point is I'll be ticked at the organization if they trade him, and it wouldn't take but a couple of other players to make me switch teams, and I'm a very dedicated fan.

Guys, my gut tells me that if the Rams stumble in the playoffs then Martz is gone.  They'd probably replace him with a Defensive minded head coach and let a their current coordinator run the offense.  You know he's going to get rid of the better QB, IMO, if he stays and it seems as if the Rams window of opportunity is closing.

Guys, my gut tells me that if the Rams stumble in the playoffs then Martz is gone. They'd probably replace him with a Defensive minded head coach and let a their current coordinator run the offense. You know he's going to get rid of the better QB, IMO, if he stays and it seems as if the Rams window of opportunity is closing.

You know, the Rams are going to have to do something pretty serious to keep Lovie Smith on board as their DC as he's going to be a very hot property in what looks to be a very busy head-coach-shopping offseason.  This same thing happened in 1999 when a lot of teams started sniffing around Mike Martz who was the Rams OC under Vermeil.  Apparently, right after the first or second playoff game that year, the Rams made a binding agreement with Martz that he would be guaranteed the head coaching job once Vermeil stepped aside (which the Rams suspected was going to happen anyway).  Now, there is clearly no indication that Martz is going to step down, win or lose, after this season, so it's going to be a much more intriguing situation.  If they make Lovie the same promise they made Martz then you've got a pretty tenuous situation among arguably your top two coaches.  I think the Rams have got to hope that a lot more money will be enough to do the trick to keep Lovie in place.

I would love to see a guy like Lovie Smith coaching somewhere. Maybe Buffalo would be a perfect fit. He seems like one of those guy like Marv Lewis that guys just want to play for. I think he'll be an excellent coach.

NO!  They got London Fletcher from the Rams' D; that's all they get!!!

Grrr...Bulger...and then Martz reviewed an obvious call on an int just in the hope that he might make Bulger look better...I knew he was gonna review it to...he's lucky they decided to change the yardline (not what he was reviewing) so he didn't lose a TO.

It looked to me like Martz was conceding the INT to the officials but wanted a ruling that the defender was down by contact several yards back.

Archived