Philadelphia Phillies uniform concept

rcb05

I always like the logo identity of the Phillies, but was never a huge fan of the unis, so I thought I'd take a crack at it. On the homes I got rid of the pinstripes, went from a white to a cream jersey and darkened the red they use to be similar to what they used to have. I also added a cream-colored front panel on the hat, which many may not like, but I like it and I think it adds to the old-school feel of these. On the roads I changed "Phillies" to read "Philly", always seemed like a natural thing to do for me. I kept the liberty bell on the sleeves, just darkened the red to match. C&C welcome.

Oh, and for those of you using it as an excuse for sloppy work, this was done in MS Paint.

215516023_ddd95877ba_o.jpg

I think the point that M&L is trying to make is that too often, people use their use of a relatively primitive paint program as a crutch for making sloppy concepts (see Patsox). There are many talented people who use Paint just as there are people who don't know Thing One about neatness who use Illustrator. And what I see isn't that sloppy, it certainly gets the point of the design across.

QPR%20Sig.png

I like them. Although, if the Phillies were to change their shade of red I would prefer it be to crimson. Not as dark as burgandy, which is what they wore in the 70's/80's and what I believe your color most closely resembles, but it would be unique in MLB and separate themselves from the Reds, Cards, and Angels.

And "Philly" for the roads would be fine by me. What the hell, why not be different and fun? "Philadelphia" wouldn't fit very well, anyway.

"Philly" on the roads is not fine. Not at all. It is a nickname, not a proper name. "Phila" would be better, like on the old Sixers jerseys.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

what's wrong with having a nickname on there? "Phila" isn't a proper name either. The Suns and Coyotes use "PHX" on their unis, are they named after the local airport?

That doesn't make it right. I'm not a fan of them using simply "PHX" just for the sake of being different. (Although I'm not one to talk, I put "Philly" on a fantasy football concept alternate of mine, but that's different).

The problem with "Philly" on the road is that it totally takes away the class that you managed to put with the uniform, especially since "Phillies" is on the home uniform. It's too similar, and therefore it makes the difference meaningless and it makes it look asymetrical. I would stick to either keeping "Phillies" on the away, or just using the "P" on one side of the shirt and the number on the oppisite side. Writing out "Philadelphia" isn't really an option because of the font -- if it was a thinner one similar to what Cincinnati and the Giants have, it would work, but I don't have a problem with seeing "Phillies" on both home and away.

What I do like, however, is the piping, the cream colored home, and the cream colored home hat. Not a bad put-together outside of "Philly".

philly.png

what's wrong with having a nickname on there? "Phila" isn't a proper name either. The Suns and Coyotes use "PHX" on their unis, are they named after the local airport?

Maybe I'm a little provincial, but I don't even like it when non-residents refer to the city as "Philly." It's a respect thing. When you first meet someone named Robert, do you just start calling him Robby? No, not until you know him. OK, I don't feel that strongly, but I do think it is inappropriate. You don't see "Chi-Town" on a jersey, or "Beantown", or "The Burg" on a jersey. "Phila" does look odd, but has a historical precident, and is a proper appreviation.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Sorry. Count me as another of the Philadelphia crowd who detests "PHILLY" on any of our team's uniforms. If you can't fit "Philadelphia", then go in another direction. City nicknames don't belong on the uniform. For that matter, abbreviations look crappy - I despise "PHILA" as much as "PHILLY", historical precedent be damned (it looked like :censored: then, too). Using "PHILLY" is especially heinous for a baseball concept, given that the team name is essentially that awful nickname, pluralized - and it's used on the home uniform.

On the good side, kudos for using MSPaint well. As a fellow Painter, I cringe at people using MSPaint as a means to forgive sloppiness.

I like the non-pinstriped look - the Phillies' pinstripes never look right, and it may be time for a change. Not crazy about the return of brick red/maroon, but it's not the worst thing ever (even if it throws over a century of tradition out the window). And I can't warm to the white panels on the home cap - colored front panels generally worked better where the cap logo was more involved than a simple monogram, like the Orioles' cartoon bird, the Blue Jays' full birdhead logo or the Brewers' ball-and-glove (gold front panels, white front panel on the helmets).

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived