CFL Line of Scrimmage Question

agentrygraphics

I'm watching a tape dealyed version of the Roughriders/TiCats game, and I noticed that the defense has to line up a full yard back from the ball at the line of scrimmage. Maybe this occurs in US football...but the CFL gap seems huge on TV.

Is there a difference in how close the defense can line up to the ball in the CFL, compared to the NFL?

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

I'm watching a tape dealyed version of the Roughriders/TiCats game, and I noticed that the defense has to line up a full yard back from the ball at the line of scrimmage. Maybe this occurs in US football...but the CFL gap seems huge on TV.

Is there a difference in how close the defense can line up to the ball in the CFL, compared to the NFL?

I'm fairly certain there is a difference. I think NFL players can get as close to the line of scrimmage as they like, so long as they don't cross it. I can't find a good picture from the NFL, but here is a picture from college football, where I don't imagine it's any different...

6do1ls91.jpg

The defensive lineman's hands seem to be within inches of the Line of Scrimmage.

IUe6Hvh.png

It is a rule in the CFL--the defense has to line up a yard back from the line of scrimmage.

Confirmed.

Cool, someone from North Carolina confirming the Canadian's answer about the CFL... :D

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

It is a rule in the CFL--the defense has to line up a yard back from the line of scrimmage.

Confirmed.

Cool, someone from North Carolina confirming the Canadian's answer about the CFL... :D

I could be wrong, but I think there's also a rule that says that the defense can't be forced to line up in their end zone, so if the ball is dead inside the 1 yard line, that it's brought back out to the 1 yard line for the next play.

LvZYtbZ.png

Confirmed.

I could be wrong, but I think there's also a rule that says that the defense can't be forced to line up in their end zone, so if the ball is dead inside the 1 yard line, that it's brought back out to the 1 yard line for the next play.

Basically correct.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Archived