January 2, 2007

Shumway

On January 2nd, the Red Wings will retire Steve Yzerman's number before their game against the Might.....err...just plain ol' Ducks.

I know I won't be able to afford tickets, let alone airfare/gas, but I'm gonna try like hell to be there. Whether it be losing an arm, persuading my parents into a christmas gift idea, or whatever, I really wanna be there.

Am I the only one who thinks Detroit should actually retire the C itself for Yzerman? Someone obviously has to serve in the capacity of captain for ceremonies, such as winning the President's Trophy, Clarence Campbell Bowl or Stanley Cup, but there are other teams (like the Devils and the Rangers last year) who don't have actual C Captians and probably wouldn't have one anyways if they had won the Cup.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

This is the NHL you have to have a captain retiring it for Steve Y is pointless every legendaryteam had a great longtime captain who eventual retired.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Am I the only one who thinks Detroit should actually retire the C itself for Yzerman? Someone obviously has to serve in the capacity of captain for ceremonies, such as winning the President's Trophy, Clarence Campbell Bowl or Stanley Cup, but there are other teams (like the Devils and the Rangers last year) who don't have actual C Captians and probably wouldn't have one anyways if they had won the Cup.

I had suggested that awhile ago, too. Or at least putting the "C" on his banner. Won't happen, though, and that's really the right thing. As much as it'll seem odd, there's no reason not to give someone else the captaincy.

The Freep reported last week that it'll go to Lidstrom but Babcock denied that to the CP. Still, it seems like he's the frontrunner. A bunch of people want it to go to Zetterberg to try to make him into another Yzerman.

My guess is that Lidstrom will be the next captain while Draper and Zetterberg are the alternates. Chelios could be in there somewhere since he's worn an "A" from time to time but with his supposed diminished role I don't see it happening.

I don't agree with giving it to Zett. There is only Stevie, period. There are so many guys who would make good captains on that team though: Lidstrom, Schneider, Chelly, Drapes, Maltby...

...if only they'd bring back McCarty

I think Detroit should do what NJ and NYR did last week anyways and just spend 2006-2007 without a bonafide C at least. After all, Stevens and Messier were legendary on their teams and no one there took the C, but Yzerman was the most legendary of them all.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

IIRC, Babcock said they'll name the new captain at training camp, but I like the idea of going without a captain for a season or having the new captain's first game with the "C" be the night Yzerman's number goes up (Yzerman's still the captain until then, basically).

And part of the reason why NYR and NJ went without was because they didn't have any options. Jagr didn't want the captaincy for the Rangers and Elias was out for a big chunk of the season for the Devils.

Archived