Canucks logo concept

Puckguy14

No jersey yet though.  But I thought I'd take a stab at a new Canucks logo.  This mixes the current colors but the light blue is replaced by a dark sea green.  Friends and family suggest I send this in, once I get uniform concepts done.

canucks.gif

COMMENTS WANTED!  I got the cheesy comments from mom, so critique it!

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

I think, overall, it looks great, man. I only have a couple of issues with it, but they're very minor ones. First and foremost, I think that it has more of a secondary look than a primary. Maybe it's the simplicity of the whole thing and the presence of the V as the representative letter of the city, which seems to be a trend reserved for secondary marks. My only other gripe is that the sea green color doesn't really seem to mesh well with the navy, red and silver. It even invokes a slight feeling of nausea. (Sea green colors tend to do that to me.) Otherwise, it's a very dynamic concept and one that I think would definitely work on a jersey.

As for the wordmark, it doesn't really fit the design, in my opinion, and the fisheye treatment kind of hurts its effectiveness. I think if you maybe left it straight or even put it at a perspective (see the Philadelphia Eagles wordmark as a reference) it would be an improvement.

Very nice work, my man! :)

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no!!

Why is every one trying to change the Canucks logo??  It looks good, can't you people see that!  The killer whale busting outa the ice is one of the best logos in the NHL! Shame!  Overall thumbs down!

I like how you've brought the V back.  It bothers me when teams take the first letter of their nickname to base the logo around (i.e. C in Canucks for the whale, A in Avalanche as the mountain) rather than the first letter of the city name.  Like i think it's implied that there's an avalanche going on in the avalanche logo, you dont need it to be swooping down a giant A to reiterate this fact.  The only acception to this rule should be the canadiens.

Like i think it's implied that there's an avalanche going on in the avalanche logo, you dont need it to be swooping down a giant A to reiterate this fact. The only acception to this rule should be the canadiens.

First of all, I've never seen a "C"-shaped mountain, and besides that, the Avalanche itself makes a C-shape... and two of the 4 logos in their division are already centered around C-shapes.

Puck, I agree fully with Nitro... I'm not huge on the sea-green, but it would make a sweet 2ndary.

I'm not normally a fan of maple-leaves in sports team logos (with a few exceptions), just because it seems that for the simple reason a team is from Canada, it has to have a maple-leaf in its logo. That's like saying every American team should have star in its logo. Regardless, the exceptions would be the Habs (even though they don't use one, they could justify it), teams from Ottawa, the Make-Beliefs themselves, the Canucks (as you've appropriately done here), and any team that is the only (or one of few) Canadian representation(s) in the league.

Well done Puckguy. I agree with Foolio8ca in that I don't see a problem with the Canucks current logo (despite the fact that it uses a C), and I think a V in the secondary would work well. They would work well together in an identity (assuming they'd use the same colour scheme).

I'd be open to seeing some different third jersey ideas, though.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

I agree with you all.  First off, I don't see a need for the Canucks to change.  I was just really bored  last night. :)

Reason I played with the logo is how the current one also represents the team's owner Orca Bay, while in the past (when I knew little about who owned the Canucks) I was crying fowl because it looked like the C in the Canadiens logo with a whale ready "to bite" (ala another team that has a sea creature as a logo)  :P

The more and more I look at it, I do see it as a secondary logo.   But what I was trying to do was to continue with a future, but a look to the past.  The green is from the original look up to 1979.  Of course the V is from those "V" for victory jerseys.  So needless to say I played with the V and tried to morph it in with a leaf.

Anyways, continue to critique!

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Why is every one trying to change the Canucks logo??  It looks good, can't you people see that!  ! Shame!  Overall thumbs down!

Wow, nice guy... anyways, I would say a lot of people want a Canucks change basically because the Canucks look like walking billboards for their former owners "Orca Bay", when they bought the team they changed their logo to the whale, and the colours to navy, lightblue, red, and silver to match the theme with OrcaBay's whale logo and their colour scheme.

Maybe some fans like their teams looking like commercials, I personally don't

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

They should get to use the Maple Leaf, not just because they're a Canadian team, but because they're the *Canucks*; it's like the Yankees using the American flag. The only problem is you've already got a team called the Maple Leafs, so maybe a leaf-centered logo should remain an alternate. Since they Canucks have (dark) red as one of their colors, why not just change the leaf to that shade of red?

I like the whale logo by itself, Orca Bay or no, because it's a cool symbol of Vancouver's geography and Native art, but it doesn't really have much to do with "Canucks". Then again, neither did a hockey skate followed by a bunch of yellow and orange LSD-trails...

It's hard to contruct a decent-looking "Canuck" image, unless you want your logo to be some guy in a tuque!

no offence to your artwork, but the quota for maple leaf logos has allready been filled. And the last thing canuck fans want is to be confused with the dreaded maple leafs.

as for the orca;

If you have a passing interest in vancouver hockey and think that constipated whale looks snazzy, thats really nice, but most canuck fans don't see it that way. To them it's merely an advertisement for orca bay with zero connection to the team.

IMO the orca must go if the franchise ever wants to attain respectability.

now that this has been decided :) a new concept for a main logo can be debated, but only a few will be deemed acceptable;

a rink and stick logo

a jonny canuck logo

or a "V" (the "v" of course has been worn by every major pro vancouver team since 1912.)

discuss

a rink and stick logo

a jonny canuck logo

or a "V" (the "v" of course has been worn by every major pro vancouver team since 1912.)

Oh I hope not.

Only if it's done right.

Goodness no.

Vancouver sports fans... you don't know what you've got until what you've got is what the Toronto Blue Jays are stuck with.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Archived