St. Louis Steamers

Evan

This was building up to happen...and it did. "Inactive" usually means done for good but who knows...I wonder who the wave will get in the dispersal draft

Its sort of weird that losing the championship the last 2 years is the kiss of death. Last year, the Force lost and then folded, and this year the Steamers lost and are done (for now).

http://www.stlsteamers.com/

Steamers Inactive For 2006-07 Season

September 22, 2006 -- MISL Commissioner Steve Ryan announced today that the League?s Management Committee has placed the MISL St. Louis Steamers on inactive status for the upcoming 2006-07 MISL season. The League will continue to work with community leaders and potential investor/operators to return the Major Indoor Soccer League to St. Louis for the 2007-08 season.

?The MISL strongly believes in the viability of the St. Louis marketplace,? said Commissioner Ryan. ?St. Louis is a great city with a rich soccer tradition, and the League will continue its efforts to bring our great game back to the St. Louis fans. We have had on-going discussions with prospective local investor/operator groups who recognize both the potential of the market and the tremendous support of the St. Louis Steamers? loyal fans. However, in the judgment of the Management Committee, with limited lead time, placing the Steamers on inactive status is the appropriate decision.?

As per MISL Policy, the League will hold a Dispersal Draft on Monday, September 25, 2006 at 3:00 p.m. (ET) via teleconference for players of the St. Louis Steamers.

The MISL will also release the master game schedule for the 2006-07 season on Monday, September 25, 2006.

peshtigobloglogocc.jpg twittericonkingslut.gif

Wow. I remember when I lived there they had a reality show featuring the team.

As a joke, the owners told some of the office workers that they were folding the team. It was a big joke, some of them freaked out, but the owners found it funny.

I wonder what the reaction was this time.

I'm sure the Steamers will return to some league at some point. They don't seem to ever go away completely. Not that I want them to. I hope they succeed.

They could end up back at the Family Arena in St. Charles, but I dunno. Supposedly the Family Arena is gonna get another UHL team soon. Not sure why they think it will have more success than the Otters, but we'll see. I hope they do.

I guess the Steamers have always been an indoor team, but I wonder if a future St. Louis MLS team (haven't heard anything recently on where that stands) might adopt that identity. It'd be nice for an MLS team to be able to have some sort of real tradition with a North American style name instead of trying to fake it (and you could say calling them the Steamers would still be faking it) with a European style name.

MISL II is starting its death throes... Kansas City forever teetering on the edge of folding, St. Louis closing up shop, Cleveland... new expansion teams in California, Chicago and Detroit... a new franchise lineup in every season the league has played... sadly, it follows an all-too familiar pattern.

How these guys have managed to keep it going this long (the league started 22 years ago as the AISA; MISL is their third or fourth name for the league) is beyond me.

nav-logo.png

Well, another year fielding 6 clubs for the MISL. Hopefully this time, nobody decides to up and fold during the season, like Monterrey and San Diego did a little while back. Milwaukee, Baltimore, and Philly are the stalwarts of this league; outside of that, it seems like a rotating supporting cast. St. Louis going under is a bad, bad sign, bringing the same "but they've been here forever" vibe to its departure as when K.C. and S.D. up and went. And the league can keep the Comets on its page all they want; I'd be truly stunned if they ever came back.

Over 20 seasons in, and the league isn't just stagnating, it's regressing. Compare that to the other 20-year-old indoor novelty sport, Arena Football. Looks like big-time trouble to me.

All that being said, man, I dig that Detroit logo.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

They are adding Newark as soon as the new arena their is finished and Orlando next year. If I was expanding I would place some teams in the Central and western US. With St. Louis gone, Milwaukee is now the closest team to the California Cougars.

Signature intentionally left blank

Archived