The Wave Turns 25

zig

The wave turns 25 this year. I haven't seen a thread about this yet so here it.

The article says that it was first seen at an A's and Yankees playoff game.

I was surprised to see that the wave was so young and my first memory of ever doing one was a Mets and Redsox game when I was like 5.

Article

The wave that we know and love today, started at the University of Washington. My Dad was acctually at the game.

According to the article it first appeared at an A's game but the University of Washington copied it and made it popular.

Hopefully that looks like they're doing the wave

haha too bad you cant do like..

<section 333> :notworthy: </section333><section334> :notworthy: </section334><section335> :notworthy: </section335>

haha i got this message

You have posted a message with more emoticons that this board allows. Please reduce the number of emoticons you've added to the message.

I don't know all of the particulars, but I have heard that both lay claim to being the originator (though I'm not sure why either is clamoring for that title -- "Failure is an orphan, but success has many parents." (or something like that)).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Worst. Invention. Ever. Sit down and watch the damn game. That is all.

Moose

I also hate the wave, actually, although I did wish it a happy birthday. It's still better than anything/place/one who plays the YMCA....I can't stand that song/dance

Worst. Invention. Ever. Sit down and watch the damn game. That is all.

Moose

Amen, brother. It's a distraction from the game because participants have to pay more attention to the stands than the contest they are attending. I can recall the wave being very popular at USFL games (well, at least the ones that had enough attendance to support the wave) and can also recall a number of players and coaches complaining that it was a nuisance and not in any way part of a home field advantage.

Archived