Jürgen Klinsmann to Coach US Soccer

amare32

Yessssss!

Perfect choice to take the US on to greater and better things. Arena was an incredible coach and deserves all the credit for getting the US to where they are today, but it was time for a change.

Dispite their poor showing, the US had a pretty rough road to get out of the Group of Death this year and although results didn't show it, they played the best game the US has played possibly ever against Italy. They tied the champions being down a man for most of the match. Losing to good upcoming Ghana was the thorn in their side, as was geting blown out by a good, but not great Czech team. With this coach, good players back with experience, Adu, and the young guys they'll have in the next four years, I'd expect good things for the US in 2010.

Bah.

Thursday, December 7, 2006

Klinsmann withdraws candidacy as U.S. coach

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Allen Hopkins

After months of speculation culminating in an intense final round of back-and-forth negotiations and erroneous reports, Juergen Klinsmann has withdrawn his name from consideration to become the next U.S. men's national team coach.

Klinsmann, in a statement sent to ESPN, said: "Sunil [Gulati] and I have concluded our discussions about the US men's national team program, and I have withdrawn my name from consideration as coach. I'm not going to go into details about our conversations. But, I certainly want to wish the next coach of the U.S. men's national team much success, and I want to, also, thank Sunil for the opportunity to exchange ideas."

Despite heavy criticism for everything from his choice of goalkeepers to his permanent California residence, Klinsmann, in his first ever head coaching job, led the German national team to a highly unexpected third-place finish in the 2006 World Cup.

Although soccer's most important and influential movers and shakers applied serious pressure on newly elected U.S. soccer president Sunil Gulati and U.S. soccer to hire Klinsmann, talks concluded late Wednesday evening without an agreement.

Klinsmann would've brought instant and unprecedented credibility to U.S. Soccer at a critical time for U.S. soccer. Although 2002 was remarkable, the reality is U.S. soccer has sandwiched one great World Cup in between two very disappointing ones in 1998 and 2006.

As a player, Klinsmann's resume and highlights would've been unlike anything ever associated with U.S. Soccer. The former German captain scored 47 goals in 108 caps for the German national team leading them to the 1990 World Cup and Euro '96 titles.

Klinsmann was twice German Footballer of the Year in 1988 and 1994. In 1995, in his first season in English soccer after his famous move to Tottenham he won the English Footballer of the Year award.

Klinsmann was a top 10 World Footballer of the Year four times and is a member of the FIFA 'Top 100' Player List.

Now it looks as if U.S. soccer will enter 2007 without a coach in place, with two matches against Denmark on Jan. 20 and arch rival Mexico on Feb. 7 already scheduled.

Actually he said Nine :D

That's Nein. <_<

I'm all for Arsene Wenger. Anyone want to drink the Kool-Aid with me? :P

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

I'm all for Arsene Wenger. Anyone want to drink the Kool-Aid with me? :P

:blink:

Uh.... no. Non. Nein. Nyet.

Aww come on Kyiv. You don't want Beautiful Football?

Nice to see the guys at World Soccer Daily take the USSF to task over this. I forget the name of the SI Columnist they had, but he was hinting at Sven-Goran Eriksson being a possibility. Blech. :therock:

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Archived