The gms challenge

GMS1122

I may jump into this one. I'm on an "extended hiatus" from logo work to prevent myself from getting burned out, but I had planned on doing a few new ones around the new year. Since the deadline is so far off, I think I may use this as a way to jump back into the thick of things.

My team's name (tentatively) will be the Toronto Grenadiers. I'll have something to display around the first week of January.

I personally wouldn't care.  I think, however, that it would be best if someone else chose the best designs.  You might have an excellent idea, but because you don't want it to seem like you're forcing your concept into it, you might just omit it all together.

If that doesn't work, we could always do a manual vote like Iron Crossover.

I'm in.

I have been working with PhotoShop for about 8 years, but haven't messed too much with Illustrator in quite some time. It will be slow going, but i'll get it done.

My concept - Toronto SwampFoxes

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Hmmm.

Not sure what to think about this. I wish GMS would have contacted me first.

I was waiting until the beginning of the year to start contests again. I have been very busy the past few months. Wanted to come back with a bang in 2004.

I haven't even had time to read this board in a month or so, even as a lurker. I wouldn't have known about this "torch carrying" if I hadn't been told by someone via IM...

...came back to add more.

The intent of not having challenges all over the place in my name was to protect the integrity of the contest. I wanted it to mean something.

I came up with this idea to challenge the people on the board who were learning the process and business of design to learn from those who know it. To understand that research is a HUGE part of naming a team, team colors, logos, etc. To understand that it takes much more than a week to complete a professional grade design.

Look at the things the NFL has done for expansion teams/moved teams. They are careful to preserve the integrity of the league by making sure teams aren't called things like GravelDawgggzzzz. The Houston Texans, for example. The name isn't all that inspiring - unless you are a Texan. However, the colors, the name, the logo all go together to form something special.

GMS, if you want a contest, that would be fine, but I think that I would prefer you not use my contest in your name.

Hmmm.

Not sure what to think about this. I wish GMS would have contacted me first.

I was waiting until the beginning of the year to start contests again. I have been very busy the past few months. Wanted to come back with a bang in 2004.

I haven't even had time to read this board in a month or so, even as a lurker. I wouldn't have known about this "torch carrying" if I hadn't been told by someone via IM...

...came back to add more.

The intent of not having challenges all over the place in my name was to protect the integrity of the contest. I wanted it to mean something.

I came up with this idea to challenge the people on the board who were learning the process and business of design to learn from those who know it. To understand that research is a HUGE part of naming a team, team colors, logos, etc. To understand that it takes much more than a week to complete a professional grade design.

Look at the things the NFL has done for expansion teams/moved teams. They are careful to preserve the integrity of the league by making sure teams aren't called things like GravelDawgggzzzz. The Houston Texans, for example. The name isn't all that inspiring - unless you are a Texan. However, the colors, the name, the logo all go together to form something special.

GMS, if you want a contest, that would be fine, but I think that I would prefer you not use my contest in your name.

webdav, i am really sorry...yes, i should have contacted you before i decided on continuing your challenge without your word.

Having not seen or heard from you in a good while, and how the last contest didnt go completely to plan, i figured that you had no intention of bring the contest back (this is where i was wrong, obviously). If you wish to go on and kickoff the new year with your planned challenge that is completely fine with me, i can cancel this and have the thread closed if you wish.

At the time i posted this thread, i was so caught up in what i great idea it would be to bring the challenge back, Since most of the boards "top-notch" designers participated, or somehow were a part fo the contest. It completely slipped my mind to ask your permission, and for that i am truly sorry.

I will try to contact you through AIM as soon as possible to work out what is to happen with this "contest", and anything else you wish to talk about.

Again, im sorry, and i hope there is no hard feelings.  :;):

I don't harbor any bad feelings, and if you want this competition to continue, I won't stand in the way. Just please everyone keep in mind that it's not a webdav challenge, it's GMS's thing.

I'll be back in January with a new challenge. What I've been hoping to do is have time to work up a new identity for the challenge itself. (Which I have now dubbed the Webdav Identity and Naming Challenge - the WIN Challenge.)

The WIN Challenge will try to be the most realistic design challenge in sports identity. In the past, I've tried to pick league/sport/city competitions that have a real chance of happening (Portland Baseball, LA Football, etc.) Who knows, if a team really thinks about moving to Portland, maybe we can submit Greg Malek's winning design for him!

Archived