Penguins Get Arena Deal Done

Ez Street

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It can really go either way now. It is sudden death. Either they stay or go.

Get ready pens fans.

Mazie,I cannot imagine how nervous,or excited you are now.

Lets just say Im typing alittle faster than normal. :D

Pittsburgh Arsenal - Elite Football League (NFL) - est. 2006 

Understandibly so.

I too am nervous/excited.

If they come to KC I'll be Happy. I'd be sad for Pittsburgh though. That is real rough.

If they don't come to KC and stay in Pittsburgh, I honestly will be real happy. It's Pittsburgh's team.

If they move to Houston or Portland I'll be pissed.

I can not lie and say I'm rooting for them to stay in Pittsburgh. I am pulling for KC. It's almost impossible to sway me from that. This is a great oppritunity for KC and hockey in the region. You can't pass up the chance. It's a shame that it would come at the cost of Pittsburgh fans.

Lemieux meeting today with K.C. officials

Pens' owners also set to discuss 'Plan B' with city, Pa. leaders

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Kansas City officials, eager to find an anchor tenant for a new arena, will get their first opportunity to lure the Penguins there today.

Mario Lemieux and Ron Burkle, who lead the franchise's ownership group, and other members of the team's front office accepted an invitation to travel to Kansas City and meet with representatives of the city and the Sprint Center, a $276 million multipurpose venue scheduled to open this fall.

The Penguins' lease at Mellon Arena expires in June, and they have attracted expressions of interest from cities across North America that are in the market for a National Hockey League franchise. This will be the first meeting between Penguins executives and people from one of those cities.

It is not known if the team has been contacted by representatives of anyplace except Kansas City, but when Mr. Lemieux announced last month that the franchise no longer was for sale, he made it clear that ownership was prepared to entertain arena proposals from any city seeking an NHL club.

That sentiment was reinforced in a letter he and Mr. Burkle sent to Gov. Ed Rendell, Allegheny County Chief Executive Dan Onorato and Pittsburgh Mayor Luke Ravenstahl last week.

In that letter, they agreed to meet with those elected officials tomorrow to discuss what is popularly known as "Plan B," a proposal the public officials are formulating to finance construction of an arena here. But they reiterated that "we are in the process of exploring all of our options."

Although no formal deadline for determining where the Penguins will be based next season has been established, the Penguins' letter conveyed the importance of having the matter resolved in the relatively near future.

The urgency is based, in part, on the NHL needing to know where the team will play so that work can begin on its schedule for the 2007-08 season. Also, the Penguins would need considerable time before next season to handle business-related issues such as selling tickets and arranging corporate sponsorships, particularly if they are operating in a new market.

"We appreciate the positive tone of your recent public comments and look forward to seeing what has been described as a plan that is significantly better than the original 'Plan B,' " the letter said.

"It is essential for the future of this franchise that we negotiate an arena deal that makes economic sense for the long term. Please be advised that time is of the essence. We must have something in place well in advance of the March 31 deadline mentioned in your letter [proposing Thursday's meeting]."

Neither Mr. Lemieux nor Kansas City officials could be reached for comment last night.

While groups in cities like Houston and Las Vegas are purported to be shopping for an NHL team, Kansas City has been at the forefront of those hoping to attract one.

All 72 luxury suites at the Sprint Center have been sold, and California venture capitalist William "Boots" Del Biaggio III, who nearly purchased the Penguins in 2005, has an agreement in place to base a franchise there if he is able to acquire one.

It ain't "Kansas City," but it's almost as good.

Got a letter just this morning, it was postmarked Omaha

It was typed and neatly written, offering me a steady job

Better job with higher wages, all expenses and a car

But I'm on TV here locally, I can't quit, I'm a star.

I come on TV, grinnin', wearin' pistols and a hat

It's a kiddie show and I'm the hero of the younger set

I'm the number one attraction at every supermarket parking lot

I'm the king of Kansas City, no thanks Omaha, thanks a lot

Kansas City Star, that's what I are

You oughta see my car

Drive a big ol' Cadillac with wide wheels, got rhinestones on the spokes

I got credit down at the grocery store and my barber tells me jokes

I'm the number one attraction at every supermarket parking lot

I'm the king of Kansas City,no thanks Omaha, thanks a lot."

Okay, it's not exactly a propos, I just like classic Roger Miller.

RIP Roger. The world was never meant for one as beautiful as you.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Omaha looks too close to Osama. I don't trust that city.

Plus, my father says it's a secret Muslim terrorist training ground.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Mario flew into KC tonight. He's staying the night, then meeting with AEG tomorrow morning. Then they will have a press conference. Though nothing major is expected to be announced.

I am out of guesses at this point. I'm done trying to figure this thing out. Just get soemthing figured out. I'm tired of thinking about this all day, day after day.

I can just imagine how Penguins fans must feel though. 1 Million times worse.

From the AEG Press Conference held by Tim Lieweke:

1. Had dinner with the group last nite, and toured the Arena today as well as the offices of Cordish Development. Showed them the entire entertainment district plans.

2. They exchanged lease terms with Lemieux & Berkle today. Agreement to be equal partner in the Sprint Center.

3. Said there is NO RENT required of the Penguis if they move

4. Said there is NO BUY IN or UPFRONT PAYMENT WHATSOEVER.

5. Business community promised more than existing naming rights & suites sold. Highest-end club seats (2,000) to be marketed & bought in next month with a pre-sale.

6. Group loved the building. Noted the highest row is not too far from the ice.

7. Told AEG they will make their decision within 30 days.

8. Bettman said the NHL's priority is to have them stay. Leiweke said they will follw Bettman's lead. Do things the proper way.

9. To his knowledge the Penguins are not looking at many situations outside of KC.

10. Ron Berkle is long-time friends with AEG/Lieweke. Was in their group that tried (and failed) to bring the NFL back to LA

11. AEG is ready to fight for the team. But said most likely will need some luck to get any team in KC.

12. "I am long-time friends with Ron Berkle for 10 years. He's not using me or AEG, not a chance" - Lieweke

13. Nothing is for sure. It is possible that they will not get the Penguins to move to KC. They are trying thier best and being agressive while respecting Pittsburgh.

Although I think I misread the words on the screen during a quick glance at TSN TV ticker, I could have sworn it said that Lemieux was meeting with a Kansas City Eagles representative group about relocating the Penguins franchise.

Even if it was just a misinterpretation, I actually don't mind the name Kansas City Eagles. Could allow them to keep the black and gold color scheme. If they kept the same uniforms, they'd match perfectly with the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles who do use the Penguins uniforms now.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

I can't see Kansas City reviving the name of the former St. Louis Eagles NHL franchise before they'd revive their own. It doesn't make sense.

Also this will be the first NHL team with a Stanley Cup win since the Ottawa - St. Louis to change cities. No other championship team has ever relocated.

Local officials optimistic they can reach deal with Lemieux

Thursday, January 04, 2007

By Robert Dvorchak and Mark Belko, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Penguins owner Mario Lemieux expressed optimism following a 90-minute meeting today with local and state leaders working to cobble together a plan that would keep the hockey team in Pittsburgh

In brief remarks following the meeting in the State Office Building, Downtown, Mr. Lemieux said it was important to get past the frustrations that have plagued his seven-year ownership of the team as he attempt to secure a new arena.

"I'm optimitic with the meeting we had today," he said following discussions with Gov. Ed Rendell, Allegheny County Chief Executive Dan Onorato and Pittsburgh Mayor Luke Ravenstahl.

Officials would not disclose specifics of how the local plan for funding an arena may have changed from what has been proposed. But both Mr. Onorato and Mr. Ravenstahl said they were optmistic because of what transpired today, in the first face-to-face meeting among the principals.

"We feel we're competitive with Kansas City. We're confident we have a very competitive deal," Mr. Ravenstahl said.

The participants said they will meet again, but no date was set today.

The Penguins will be able to move into a brand new arena in Kansas City, pay no rent, and keep building revenues, such as concessions and parking money, under updated terms unveiled today.

Under the latest offer, the Penguins would not have to invest $27 million to buy into the management agreement, as earlier had been reported. Tim Leiweke, president of Anschutz Entertainment Group, which invested $54 million in the new Sprint Center, told reporters at a press conference in Kansas City today the Penguins would not have to buy into the deal.

Before the newest details emerged, Mr. Onorato said the Pittsburgh plan for an arena is "in striking range" of what Kansas City is offering.

This afternoon's meeting could be classified as the most important face-off Mr. Lemieux ever took. Mr. Lemieux and his ownership group are anxious to replace Mellon Arena, the oldest and smallest building in use in the NHL.

Yesterday, Mr. Lemieux was in Kansas City along with co-owner Ron Burkle and team president Ken Sawyer to get a look at the new Sprint Center, which is on schedule to open in October and is seeking an anchor tenant.

Numbers were dangled by Mr. Leiweke, president of Anschutz Entertainment Group, which invested $54 million to operate Kansas City's Sprint Center.

"This by no means is a sure thing for Kansas City," Mr. Lieweke told the Kansas City Star. "Chances are better than not they work this out in Pittsburgh. But if they don't, we have to prove to them they don't need to look any further than Kansas City. We're not stealing a team. We're giving these guys a backup in case they cannot find the right deal in Pittsburgh. My personal opinion is they're going to be blown away by what they see in Kansas City. It's a great city, it's a great building, and it's a fantastic deal for somebody."

The starting point for today's meeting in Pittsburgh is Mr. Rendell's plan, commonly called Plan B. It had called for the Penguins to pay $8 million up front and $4 million a year for 30 years, or a total commitment of $128 million. It is not known how much of that plan remains and how much it will change.

Gov. Rendell said that, based on the losses that the Penguins have accummulated over the last few years, he is willing to alter the plan.

Mr. Onorato, in the morning meeting, was adamant that no taxpayer dollars would be provided. He noted that the Regional Asset District funding that was used to help the Steelers and Pirates would not be used for the Penguins. However, a funding stream from legalized gambling, which was not available when those teams built new playing venues, is available now.

Before talks have started, Mr. Onorato said that $230 million toward a $290 million arena is already on the table.

Gov. Rendell said there would be no "free arena" for the Penguins. He said all of the teams that have built new facilities in Pennsylvania have contributed "significant" dollars to the projects.

Although he can't say for sure the franchise is staying, Mr. Onorato noted that NHL commissioner Gary Bettman has said he wants the Penguins -- with their 40-year tradition, two NHL championships, a core of young talent featuring Sidney Crosby and strong fan base -- where they are.

"The NHL's preference is for the Penguins to remain in Pittsburgh as long as there are two things in place -- a new arena and a lease that's suitable for the Penguins to be competitive," Mr. Onorato said. "It plays to our favor. The team is here. The NHL would have to approve a move."

Mr. Lemieux has publicly expressed his frustration at failing to secure a new arena over the past seven years, but none of the team owners and none of the political powers were in place when arena proposals were first bandied about in 1998.

"I know he's upset," said Mr. Onorato, who publicly reached out to Mr. Lemieux when the Isle of Capri deal fell through. "We have to get beyond that. Let's forget about the past."

someones gotta bring us the Pittsburgh end of this.

Pittsburgh Arsenal - Elite Football League (NFL) - est. 2006 

Archived