late 1970s early 80s NFL action figures

smith03

Back in about Christmas 1981 I got either from JC pennys or le belles a 7 inch action figure football player in a Minnesota Vikings uniform. They sold them for most or all of the NFL teams. Does anyone know what name of the action figures were ? I found a website a few years back about them but can not remember what it was called

thanks

Just say NO to gray facemasks.

Are you possibly talking about the Starting Line-Up Figures?

If it was that early, it wouldn't have been Starting Line-Up. The first of those appeared in 1987, and I actually had the entire Milwaukee Brewers team set for that year. They started out as just baseball and branched out into other sports in later years.

QPR%20Sig.png

Are you possibly talking about the Starting Line-Up Figures?

If it was that early, it wouldn't have been Starting Line-Up. The first of those appeared in 1987, and I actually had the entire Milwaukee Brewers team set for that year. They started out as just baseball and branched out into other sports in later years.

no they were larger than starting line and came before and unlike starting line up it was a genric player that came with number stickers that you placed on the jersey. The name mayhave been something like "teammates"

I have a Cowboy and Buc if that's what you're talking about. They have some wear and tear on them, but they were posable and came with number stickers. They had a hole in their back to put on a stand to keep them upright. Let me know if you find out more and if they have value (even with wear).

KISSwall09.jpg

I have a Cowboy and Buc if that's what you're talking about. They have some wear and tear on them, but they were posable and came with number stickers. They had a hole in their back to put on a stand to keep them upright. Let me know if you find out more and if they have value (even with wear).

thats sound right a hole in the back to stick a metal stand and a little plastic football with a pole to stick in the hand. I don't know or care about the value just the name of the figures

I know exactly what you are talking about. I had several of those as well. In fact, I remember my Philadelphia Eagles one had a broken face mask and my Dad decided he'd use a lighter to melt the plastic back together, ended up burning the guy's nose half off.

Dad just said... "well, he's a football player, he's supposed to look rough."

Anyway, I got years of enjoyment out of those guys. If you find out what they were called be sure and let us know. I'd like to, at least, see some pics of them on the web.

I had the Raiders, Eagles and Cowboys. I'm betting I got them the year the Eagles played the Raiders in the Super Bowl or the year after (81 or 82) and I'm almost sure they came from JC Penneys.

All right, it took some digging, but I found them. You were right, they were called NFL Team Mates. This is a scanned page from the 1979 Sears catalog. I was able to find it on a site called WishbookWeb.com.

If you like old toys, that's a fun site to look through. They have several old Christmas catalogs scanned in their entirety.

thanks for posting that link. I will probably spend the rest of the evening looking at those old catalogs.

I had one of those figures too. I had Joe Theismann and Billy Simms which came out in 80. At least I think it was Billy Simms

No problem. I didn't get much work done this afternoon after I found them. Very interesting looking back at that stuff from childhood and beyond.

Checking out the players from the Sears catalog page:

large pictures, Tony Dorsett, Terry Bradshaw, Roger Staubach, Franco Harris

small picture (l to r top)

Green Bay-?

New England-Russ Francis

Oakland-Dave Casper

BALTIMORE Colts-Deacon Jones

Washington-Joe Theismann

Seattle-Jim Zorn

Philly-Ron Jaworski

(l to r bottom)

LOS ANGELES Rams-?

Chicago-Walter Payton

Minnesota- ?

Denver-Randy Gradishar

Houston Oilers- Earl Cambell

Miami-Bob Griese

Atlanta- Steve Bartkowski

Who are the ones I'm missing?

thanks for posting that link. I will probably spend the rest of the evening looking at those old catalogs.

I had one of those figures too. I had Joe Theismann and Billy Simms which came out in 80. At least I think it was Billy Simms

Does Theismann's leg bend awkwardly for extra authenticity? ;)

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

thanks for finding that !!!!

Wow those things are awesome

My Webpage

here is the site that i was looking for . The person has all 28 teams plus teams that later moved or came about due to expansion

Those look like very cool toys for that time period. Do you know if all the sleeve and helmet stripes stickers, or were they painted on?

It looks like there were two different Redskins figures, one in the regular maroon uniform, one in the throwbacks with the gold pants.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Green Bay-?

New England-Russ Francis

Oakland-Dave Casper

Washington-Joe Theismann

Seattle-Jim Zorn

Philly-Ron Jaworski

(l to r bottom)

LOS ANGELES Rams-?

Chicago-Walter Payton

Minnesota- ?

Denver-Randy Gradishar

Miami-Bob Griese

I was guessing

LA Nolan Cromwell

GB Lynn Dickey

Min Scott Studwell

Well, I was 0-3

GB QB Charlie Whitehurst

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=12987

LA John Capaletti

Minnesota Jeff Siemon

cards.jpg

centerfieldbanner2.png

Formula GP

CenterField 22 pts

#7 Coca-Cola Giancarlo Fisichella 4pts

#8 Coca-Cola Lewis Hamilton 18pts

TRAC

CenterField Motorsports

#5 Sony Kyle Busch

#8 Gatorade Kurt Busch

#9 Sirius David Ragan/Ricky Rudd

I can assure you I did more than break his leg. Like masters of the universe figures i decapataed him to the point where he had to be thrown away. We were kids toys like that were meant to be play with.

skinsboys4lf7pe.jpg

Green Bay-?

New England-Russ Francis

Oakland-Dave Casper

Washington-Joe Theismann

Seattle-Jim Zorn

Philly-Ron Jaworski

(l to r bottom)

LOS ANGELES Rams-?

Chicago-Walter Payton

Minnesota- ?

Denver-Randy Gradishar

Miami-Bob Griese

I was guessing

LA Nolan Cromwell

GB Lynn Dickey

Min Scott Studwell

Well, I was 0-3

GB QB Charlie Whitehurst

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=12987

LA John Capaletti

Minnesota Jeff Siemon

cards.jpg

Thanks CFSize24, I thought the same on Dickey and Cromwell, but on the Minnesota figure I guessed Mick Tinglehoff. 0 for 3 on them as well.

Wow those things are awesome

My Webpage

here is the site that i was looking for . The person has all 28 teams plus teams that later moved or came about due to expansion

Those look like very cool toys for that time period. Do you know if all the sleeve and helmet stripes stickers, or were they painted on?

It looks like there were two different Redskins figures, one in the regular maroon uniform, one in the throwbacks with the gold pants.

I'm pretty sure the helmet stripes and logos were decals and I'm positive the sleeve stripes were not decals. They were either molded plastic or painted, can't remember for sure.

Archived