Mets' P Mike Pelfrey Wears Mouthpiece?

amare32

mpelfrey06250250td.jpg

I noticed the above picture on Baseball America. It looks like Mike Pelfrey is wearing a mouthpiece of the sort worn by football players and boxers. Anyone know why? I've never seen a baseball player w/ one of these.

My first guess would be its bubblegum.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

He has some kind of jaw condition, not sure what its called.

TMJ? Usually you only need a mouthpiece while you sleep....

I think it is TMJ. They said during one of the Mets broadcasts last season that thats why he wears it.

That's weird - I have TMJ and I've never had to wear a mouthpiece of any sorts. I guess there are varying degrees of TMJ that might require it, I suppose.

He has TMJ adn that is why he wears the mouthpiece. It is so that he does not hurt his jaw when he pitches.

Pelfrey wore a mouth guard in college to protect the tongue, but the one he wears now during games has another cause: Pelfrey has a misaligned jaw caused by getting struck with a line drive while pitching for Team USA against Japan two years ago. A dentist detected the problem in January.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/436004p-367366c.html

Archived