UCLA Gold Volleyball Jerseys

Mingjai

I know men's volleyball jerseys are not the most popular topic here at the forum, but I thought I'd post this in case anyone was interested. I guess that's the point of having this forum...

Anyway, I went to the BYU-UCLA volleyball game in Provo and found that from a distance the UCLA home jerseys (worn by the libero) look like one of those reversible scrimmage jerseys worn over a white T-shirt.

UCLA-Libero-1.jpg

UCLA-Libero-2.jpg

UCLA-Libero-3.jpg

UCLA-Libero-4.jpg

8952_1_vests2.jpg

Also, in case you were wondering (though you probably weren't), here's what BYU's jerseys look like:

BYU-1.jpg

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Could the same be said for the blue UCLA jerseys? The blue and gold are switched.

Thanks for some volleyball on the site.

The blue jerseys don't look like practice jerseys mainly because the blue is dark enough to create a clear contrast with the white and also because the blue jerseys don't have a white collar to give the appearance of a t-shirt.

Here's a better illustration of what the jerseys look like from a distance:

volleyball.jpg

Could the same be said for the blue UCLA jerseys? The blue and gold are switched.

Thanks for some volleyball on the site.

The blue jerseys don't look like practice jerseys mainly because the blue is dark enough to create a clear contrast with the white and also because the blue jerseys don't have a white collar to give the appearance of a t-shirt.

Here's a better illustration of what the jerseys look like from a distance:

volleyball.jpg

Why is there one player from each team wearing a different color jersey? Is this common? or is similar to the goal keeper in soccer? or team captain?

Why is there one player from each team wearing a different color jersey? Is this common? or is similar to the goal keeper in soccer? or team captain?

This is the "libero" position. The player does not serve only plays defense. Kinda like Arena football with OS's and DS's. They can only play in the back row. this has been in the rules for about 5-6 years now.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Volleyball lost me once they added the goofy "libero" and started doing rally scoring. An unnecessary rule creating a "specialized position," and too many dumb-luck points.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Volleyball lost me once they added the goofy "libero" and started doing rally scoring. An unnecessary rule creating a "specialized position," and too many dumb-luck points.

I think the libero has made the game more exciting for 2 reasons. First, it allows teams to recruit bigger, taller, stonger hitters without worrying about the added liability of poor passing. Second, pre-libero serve receive formations generally "hid" the middle blocker on the back row. Now, the libero usually subs in for the middle blocker across the back row and becomes the primary passer, and the player being "hidden" is the opposite hitter (usally the most spectacular hitter on the team)--freeing the opposite up for various back-row attacks.

As far as rally scoring goes, it has made matches shorter. Going to 5-game matches in the pre-rally scoring days could be really tedious as teams kept siding out.

Just my two bits.

EDIT: typos

I agree that those UCLA uniforms have nothing to be desired, although they're different in that they're a bit retro looking. Not a fan of the urine colored libero jersey, though.

I also agree that the two new rules have helped the sport immensely, espescially the rally point rule. I've never really liked the side-out rule. Dumb-luck or not, points are points. Makes making mistakes that much more costly.

And I'd post a pic of Kerri Walsh, but I'm at work. Sorry.

philly.png

As a volleyball coach I love the rule changes. It allows a smaller players to excell and earn college scholorships that they might not have in the past. Rally scoring puts a premium on ball control. Dumb luck points were happening in the past.

Rally Scoring also gives underdogs more of a chance.

I was lucky enough to get my picture taken with Kerri Walsh and Misty May.

UCLA-Libero-2.jpg

i, too, was quite disappointed that there weren't female volleyball player photos in this thread, but at least we got to see some nip action :)

seriously, though, i'm not digging the gold jersey, and i'm generally a fan of gold...there isn't enough contrast in this jersey - maybe if the collar and arm-yolk-stripey things were blue?

jldesigns404eo.png

One rule I hate now is the ball hitting the net on the serve. Too many lucky points there and if you can't hit a 30 by 30 square with your serve without hitting the net, you don't deserve a point. It give the server too much of an advantage. Plus ace serves aren't that exciting, imo.

Archived