McNabb done in Philly?

FiddySicks

Since it seems that part of this thread has turned into a referendum on Donovan McNabb, I may as well weigh in with some Philadelphia perspective.

Part of me loves the guy. He's an unbelievable playmaker. He has the ability to make plays with his arm or with his legs. Defenses tinker with their usual game plan when facing the Eagles to account for #5. Given a full complement of weapons (like in 2004 when the Eagles made it to the Super Bowl) Donovan is downright ridiculous.

Another part of me is infuriated by the guy. The chip-on-the-shoulder that he seems to be carrying over being booed at the draft (because fans who wanted to see the Eagles draft Ricky Williams booed the pick - they were not booing YOU Donovan!) has got to be brushed off by now. Is it not enough that you're the franchise player and are treated with kid gloves by coach and management? Come to think of it, that is probably where Donovan suffers to some extent with his fellow Eagle teammates. Oh, and having your mother speaking for you does nothing to have people think you're not a baby ...

More infuriation ... you can't run the ball because you're afraid of how you'll be perceived as a quarterback? Worry about winning. However, if you must shake that tired stereotype, then at least work on throwing more accurate passes that aren't at receivers' feet more often than not. Andy Reid has a passing fetish, so it's not like McNabb lacks in opportunities to work on his passing accuracy.

The guy is also a little bit of a dork, too. Have you ever been around someone who is all too convinced that he is cool, but everyone around him actually just sees it as someone who's trying too hard? To me, that sums up McNabb's personality.

As long as McNabb is an Eagle, I am all about the guy being a success in anything and everything he wants to do. However, if he were to go - I am not sure I'd miss him all that much.

Then there's this Fred Taylor/Robert Smith-like ability to sustain an annual season-ending injury. I'm not sure where this point fits with everything else above, so I'll just end with that.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

To be devil's advocate in this thread, would it really kill the Eagles to ditch McNabb while he still has some value around the league? He's banged-up, he's been through hell in Philly, and maybe a change of scenery would do both parties good.

Now i'm not saying that an even-up swap of Garcia for McNabb should be considered, because that's obviously one sided. But maybe the Eagles should start grooming (or looking for) their next starting QB?

The Eagles wouldnt get rid of McNabb, because a 37 year old had a nice good run while he was injured.

I also think it would be smart for Garcia to stay as a backup in Philly.If not that, maybe go to Jacksonville (if they're really intent on giving up on Leftwich-- imo a huge mistake). If he goes to Minnesota or Tampa itll be like his stints in Cleveland and Detroit. When surrounded by a crappy team he sucks, but when he turns into a game manager surrounded by a great cast the guy looks fantastic.

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

In my opinion, it would be both good for the Giants because, whenever they play against the Eagles, they wouldn't have to worry about McNabb torching them both on the ground and in the air. However, it would also be bad for the Giants because they would have to worry about another dual-threat at QB... and his name is Jeff Garcia.

YOZXkBG.png?1

Archived