How Alexander Ovechkin prepares for a game

jkrdevil

The Caps had a promotion tonight where the first 368 College students that went to the game got in for free plus got a voucher for a free large 1-topping pizza from Papa Johns. So I got down to the Verizon Center about 5 o'clock to get in line. While in line John Erskine, who is an injured defensemen, sign autographs plus they gave some stuff out. They also taped some of the pregame stuff for tv with the line in the background. I never realized how short Joe Beninati, the Caps play-by-play guy also does games for Versus, is. He cut in front of me while I was line to tape the the stuff, I'm about 5-10/ 5-11 I literally could look down at him. He has to be something like 5-2 or 5-3. So about 5:30 they let the students go into the arena. After I got in I went to look at the ice and guess who is out on the ice. Alexander Ovechkin and a couple other Caps players in the shorts and flip flops shooting puck around trying to get them through the photographers holes in the glass. Here is some pics:

136064396_443668134_0.jpg

136062911_443662987_0.jpg

The game itself was a blowout the Caps won 7-3. This was my first time seeing Ovechkin play live and I most say wow he is great.

Also I notice that there are four banners in the Verizon Center celebrating the Mystics being the WNBA Attendance Champions. Does anyone else find that sad?

You were at the game? What section?

Yeah, though, Ovechkin was impressive (liked that one move he put on Staal-shame he missed).

Never saw a shortie in person before tonight. (Never saw a NHL game in person before either to be honest).

Yes its kind of sad to have those attendance titles.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

You were at the game? What section?

Section 420 very last row in the arena right below the press box.

Section 431 over here, couple of rows from the top. (Not the best seats, but hey, I could see the ice still.) Good, fun game.

Also picked up a Caps replica before next season's price/quality changes. ^_^ (And because my parents have yet to ship over my Rivermen one).

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

A few of the Hurricanes players play a game of hacky-sack (but with a soccer ball instead) before they go out for their pre-game warm-ups.

Also, the Thrashers' radio play-by-play guy is a short, squirrely fella. But he can go cause some trouble for the opposing teams, now that former enforcer Jeff Odgers is in the booth with him...

ive seem him do this before, i always wondered why he did this. he must get really cold though and why wouldnt he wear skates why flip flops

At ice level it isn't that cold at all, and he's probably notp using skates because a) they are being sharpened, etc. or B) he just wants to shoot around before the game.

ive seem him do this before, i always wondered why he did this. he must get really cold though and why wouldnt he wear skates why flip flops

At ice level it isn't that cold at all, and he's probably notp using skates because a) they are being sharpened, etc. or B) he just wants to shoot around before the game.

what are you talking about, its really cold i ref hockey and by the end of a 15 minute periord i can barley feel my hands

what are you talking about, its really cold i ref hockey and by the end of a 15 minute periord i can barley feel my hands

That's because you are constantly picking up a puck with ice all over it. However if you are just out there with some type of shoes on just shooting around it's fine.

This was also before the pregame skate, that's probably why he did have skates on. Him and a few other players were just messing around.

NHL buildings aren't as cold as your regular hockey rink. I had the opportunity to ref an adult scrimmage at the Xcel about a week and a half ago, and it was definitely a bit warm.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

When I worked the World Junior Hockey Championship of 2002-03, I had to go out on the ice to pick up all the practise pucks during several practises and pre-game warmups. All I wore was track pants, a WJHC pullover that I was issued and the pair of winter boots I was wearing. It's not that cold at all, like maybe 5 degrees Celcius. If you were already hot and sweaty from a workout, like Ovechkin probably was, I imagine a stroll on the ice would feel pretty good. The pucks themselves though, because they are almost always in contact with the ice, can get very cold. You notice this easily when you have to pick up like 50 of them in 60 seconds.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Archived