Gump Worsley

zig

MONTREAL -- Gump Worsley, the Hall of Fame goalie who didn't wear a mask until the final season of his 21-year NHL career, has died. He was 77

Worsley, who died at his home in Beloeil, had a heart attack Monday, The Montreal Gazette reported Saturday night.

Born Lorne John Worsley in Montreal in 1929, he was tagged with the "Gump" moniker as a child because his hair stuck up like comic strip character Andy Gump's.

The 5-foot-7 Worsley began his NHL career in 1952-53, winning the Calder Trophy as the rookie of the year with the New York Rangers. He helped his hometown Montreal Canadiens win four Stanley Cup titles in a five-year span and finished his career with the Minnesota North Stars in 1973-74 -- playing only his final six games with a mask.

"He was a terrific goaltender," former North Stars teammate Lou Nanne said. "If I could pick any goalie to win a big game, it would be Gump."

Inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1980, Worsley was 335-352-150 with a 2.88 goals-against average and 43 shutouts in 861 regular-season games. In the playoffs, he was 40-26 with a 2.78 GAA and five shutouts.

"He was one of the first real characters in the NHL," Nanne said. "He had a lot of personality and really showed the human side of the game. He didn't look like an athlete and smoked like a chimney between periods, but he was terrific when he put the pads on."

Acquired by Montreal from the Rangers in a 1963 trade that sent fellow Hall of Fame goalie Jacques Plante to New York, Worsley won 29 of 36 playoff games in helping lead the Canadiens to Stanley Cup titles in 1965, '66, '68 and '69.

Worsley won the Vezina Trophy in 1966 and 1968 as the NHL's top goalie, was a first-team All-Star in 1968 and played in the All-Star Game in 1961, '62, '65 and '72. He holds the NHL record for career losses.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2745655

GUMP1.jpg

The hockey card so great, I have it printed on a t-shirt.

I saw the Gumper play in person when I was a lad.

"Worsley is remembered by local hockey icons as a jovial anachronism, a throwback to an era when a goalie could carry a potbelly but no facemask.

Former North Stars defenseman Tom Reid, the Wild radio broadcaster, has an old team picture hanging in his St. Paul pub, with goalies Cesar Maniago and Worsley at each end.

Maniago towered over the 5-7 Worsley, who made up for his lack of size with his lack of conditioning. "We had a training camp in Winnipeg, and we started 'dry-land' training," Reid said. "We'd run up and down hills, run around the track, do firemen's carries. We were all told to bring running shoes and shorts.

"One day we're running on the track and I look over and there's Gump. He's got on black wingtip brogues, with knee-high black socks and a pair of shorts, smoking a cigarette, and walking."

RIP Gump. You were a classic.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Gump was a cool goalie as I did read his autobiography book and it was great to read how he came up thru the teams and etc... will see if I can find that book to borrow to read once again..and that North Stars card of him..dang would love to land that card..how much would that be, so I can see if I can get it somewhere....

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

His playing days were well before my time, but as former Hab and a great person he will always have my respect. You gotta love this quote from his days with the Rangers when he was getting pelted with about 50 shots a game. A reporter asked him what team gave him the most trouble, and he replyed "the New York Rangers".

Reposez en Paix Monsieur Worsley

1zqy8ok.gif

Archived