SUPER BOWL XLI EVE

wdm1219inpenna

Courtesy of wikipedia.org, here is the reason why the Colts' currently have 0 Super Bowl Trophies...

The Colts' Lombardi Trophy from Super Bowl V is reportedly in the possession of Georgia Frontiere, owner of the St. Louis Rams. Frontiere's late husband, former Colts' owner Carroll Rosenbloom, swapped franchises in 1972 with Rams' owner Robert Irsay but managed to keep possession of the Super Bowl trophy by "borrowing" it and simply neglecting to return it. NFL Commissioner Pete Rozelle authorized a replacement trophy for the Colts; ironically, the Colts lost possession of this trophy in 1986 when, as part of the legal settlement following the Colts' move to Indianapolis, the replacement trophy was awarded to the city of Baltimore.

Just thought this was interesting as I came across it yesterday when doing my annual odd Super Bowl fact researching tour...

Enjoy the game fellas & ladies (if there are any who post on here, seems there are none)

Bill McD.

:P Sure,take the team. Take them in the middle of the night in a Mayflower. But, you are not,I repeat ARE NOT,going to take the Lombardi Trophy from Baltimore.

Yes...but now that your have both your own team and trophy, wouldn't it be nice to give the one from Super Bowl V back to the Colts? (Or the Colts could chat with the showgirl to get it back).

Or was the Ravens' trophy FedExed to Cleveland as part of the Cleveland Plan? <_<

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Does the trophy normally stay with the owner or team?

I guess the owner unless it is included in the sale of the team. Funny that the Rams just don't give the Colts the trophy. Unless if part of the court deal that if the Rams give back the trophy the city of Balt would get it. Of course what would stop the Colts from just creating a 3rd Super Bowl V trophy?

Just say NO to gray facemasks.

Georgia oughta just give it back... what's the fun in having a trophy that's not from your team... I guess it kinda was her team but not really... Georgia is one crazy lady...

Georgia doesn't have it, either. Rumor is that it was lost when Carroll was still alive and hasn't been found since... my guess is someday it'll be discovered in the home of someone who "found" it...

nav-logo.png

Regardless of where the original is, the city of Baltimore should give the replacement representing the Colts' win in Super Bowl V back. Baltimore needs to move on. They have a new team, and new Lombardi Trophy of their own. Let the Colts have what is rightfully theirs.

Regardless of where the original is, the city of Baltimore should give the replacement representing the Colts' win in Super Bowl V back. Baltimore needs to move on. They have a new team, and new Lombardi Trophy of their own. Let the Colts have what is rightfully theirs.

If the city let the Ravens run around with the SBV trophy and include it in team celebrations I can see your point, but if they keep it in a museum or on display at city hall then they should keep it and show it off as a part of the city's history, the Irsay's didnt own the team when the Colts won it so they really shouldnt get to have it.

Archived