South Carolina Signs With Under Armor

tron1013

Big East:

The easiest to get would be South Florida. All the other schools have pretty strong ties to Nike and their basketball teams.

No way USF switches to UA, we just began an agreement with Nike for our football unis, and I think there will be an overall agreement for all USF athletics very soon, as only a few remaining sports have yet to switch to Nike.

As for a Big East UA team, I could see Rutgers being the frontrunner, since their teams aren't really hot.

[...]

As for a Big East UA team, I could see Rutgers being the frontrunner, since their teams aren't really hot.

Como a donde? Rutgers isn't really hot? The basketball team might be mediocre, but people are talking about Rutgers athletics nationwide for the first time in 30 years, and they're "not hot"? I hope you were being sarcastic. Greg Schiano became the biggest coaching story in the country (unless you live in Winston-Salem), Ray Rice is being talked about as a possible Heisman finalist, the school is talking about expanding the stadium by tens of thousands of seats, and everywhere I go around here, there's been a sudden swelling of RU pride, because every car I see has a scarlet "R" on it.

Looking beyond basketball, their soccer team's usually decent. Women's basketball is perenially strong as well. Plus, consider the fan bases of the 2 schools. Rutgers has a huge alumni network, most of it concentrated in the wealthiest parts of metropolitan NYC and Philadelphia. USF wasn't founded until 1956; its alumni numbers simply can't be anywhere near the market Rutgers has.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I think most of the former Russel Schools will eventually switch to Under Armour. When Auburn switched there was talks of UnderArmour wanting to outfit at least one school in every conference.

SEC:

Auburn

South Carolina

ACC:

Maryland

Big XII:

Texas Tech

As for the others?

Pac 10:

Washington State is Russell School but Russell seems desperate to keep them (they designed an extra set of unis for them this past year)

Big East:

The easiest to get would be South Florida. All the other schools have pretty strong ties to Nike and their basketball teams.

Big 10:

These will be the toughest. I think all these schools pretty much have their apparel providers locked down. Maybe an Adidas school? (Indiana or Wisconsin)

CUSA:

Who knows? UAB maybe or UTEP. I'm unsure about what school wears what.

MAC:

Toledo (rumored above)

Central Michigan (if the New Balance deal doesn't work out)

Mountain West:

Again, unknown.

you get the picture.

Don't forget about the Sun Belt. Honestly, I think that every team in that conference is fair game for Under Armour. The three teams that I may see having the best chance of going with UA would be FAU, Arkansas State, and UL-Lafayette. FIU, UL-Monroe, and Middle Tennessee signed deals with Adidas and Nike last year.

I think most of the former Russel Schools will eventually switch to Under Armour. When Auburn switched there was talks of UnderArmour wanting to outfit at least one school in every conference.

SEC:

Auburn

South Carolina

ACC:

Maryland

Big XII:

Texas Tech

As for the others?

Pac 10:

Washington State is Russell School but Russell seems desperate to keep them (they designed an extra set of unis for them this past year)

Big East:

Big 10:

These will be the toughest. I think all these schools pretty much have their apparel providers locked down. Maybe an Adidas school? (Indiana or Wisconsin)

CUSA:

MAC:

Toledo (rumored above)

Mountain West:

Again, unknown.

you get the picture.

Don't forget about the Sun Belt. Honestly, I think that every team in that conference is fair game for Under Armour. The three teams that I may see having the best chance of going with UA would be FAU, Arkansas State, and UL-Lafayette. FIU, UL-Monroe, and Middle Tennessee signed deals with Adidas and Nike last year.

Fau's deal with Nike is pretty recent, and it's an all sports deal. So that's unlikely.

SEC:

Auburn

South Carolina

ACC:

Maryland

Big XII:

Texas Tech

As for the others?

Pac 10:

Big East:

Big 10:

CUSA:

MAC:

Toledo (rumored above)

Mountain West:

Again, unknown.

you get the picture.

Fau's deal with Nike is pretty recent, and it's an all sports deal. So that's unlikely.

Thanks for reminding me about that. I forgot that they signed with Nike around the same time that we resigned with Adidas. Same thing with North Texas when they signed with New Balance. Of course, there is Western Kentucky, who will be coming into the league in 2008. I don't know how far along they are into their Nike deal, but they could be a possibility.

• LMU locked this topic

Archived