REGULAR SEASON BYES

wdm1219inpenna

Ever since the NFL re-implemented the "bye" week during the regular season back in the 1990-91 season, I have often wondered how the league goes about determining just which teams get byes and on what weeks. Any ideas?

Two things I'd like to see regarding the bye week. One, I'd like to see 4 teams have off per week during 8 weeks of the regular season, as opposed to how it was done this year. The only good thing about having 6 teams off during 2 weeks was the fact that after week 9, all 32 teams had played 8 games, thus making the end of week #9 the OFFICIAL "half-way" point of the regular season.

If I had 4 teams off per week, I'd prefer all 4 to be from the same division. For example Week 3 might be a bye for the entire NFC South, Week 4, a bye for the entire AFC North, etc.

Secondly, I feel it should be mandatory that teams coming off a bye must play one another the following week. It seems quite unfair that a team that's been rested for one week plays another team who did not just come off a bye. It seems a bit inequitable, especially in such a parity-driven league.

I'd be most interested in listening to your thoughts about this, and any data about how bye weeks are determined for which teams would be most appreciated.

Regards,

Bill

The only thing I know in terms of byes is that early on in the system, Phoenix/Arizona was given an early bye to help with the problem of playing in the desert. A few years were set up so the Cardinals' first five weeks were three road games, a bye, and a Sunday night home game, in some order.

LvZYtbZ.png

Secondly, I feel it should be mandatory that teams coming off a bye must play one another the following week. It seems quite unfair that a team that's been rested for one week plays another team who did not just come off a bye. It seems a bit inequitable, especially in such a parity-driven league.

Regards,

Bill

I agree with this part 100%. For example, have the AFC East have byes week 7. Then on Week 8, Miami vs. Jets and New England vs. Buffalo.

I know some years some teams play against three teams coming off byes while other teams play none.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

How about a leaguewide recess after Week 8? Then everyone gets a bye right in the middle of the year.

Couple that break with the Pro Bowl, and you're onto something.

Kidding, of course.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

How about a leaguewide recess after Week 8? Then everyone gets a bye right in the middle of the year.

Except the bye creates 17 weeks of TV coverage. This would negate a week of coverage.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

My only opinion on this matter concerns games played outside North America. Now that the NFL intends to have at least one international game per year, they should schedule it for Week 1 and then give both teams their bye in Week 2 (giving them more time to recover from the additional jet lag, re-adjust to their own time zone, etc.)

CCSLC signature.png

My only opinion on this matter concerns games played outside North America. Now that the NFL intends to have at least one international game per year, they should schedule it for Week 1 and then give both teams their bye in Week 2 (giving them more time to recover from the additional jet lag, re-adjust to their own time zone, etc.)

no just have the teams play in week 7 or something then eather have both teams comming off a bye or have both of them go into a by after that game, every year the teams in the "internional bowl" schould have that rule

no just have the teams play in week 7 or something then eather have both teams comming off a bye or have both of them go into a by after that game, every year the teams in the "internional bowl" schould have that rule

You know, compared to you, Tank's the model of coherence.

IIRC, the NFL has said that will be the set up this year (either a bye before or after the game, I forget which).

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

They've never had a hard, fast policy with 'bye' weeks as they do most things. It's part accommodation of television, part facility availability, and part common sense (i.e., no Arizona home games at Sun Devil in early September).

Personally I think it should be done away with - football's a game of attrition. But if you must keep the bye week, do it by division - AFC North, South, East, West, etc.

nav-logo.png

Archived