LA Galaxy major announcement scheduled for monday

Krona

The presser was at 10:30 local. no word on the site yet. its sounding more and more like a retirement. with all the events that are planned throughout the year using the current brand, i'm wondering if this is actually happening this year.

According to the MLS home page, Cobi Jones will retire after the 2007 season. Clicking on a link gives you nothing and the Galaxy site gives you nothing and it's 12:27pm Pacific.

To what extent it is true, I have absolutely no idea, but on BigSoccer there was mention that the Galaxy would introduce their new colors and jerseys once Beckham arrives. So essentially, they would play half their season in their yellow togs, and then half way through the season become the Los Angeles Beckhams.
Haven't heard that, and would tend to doubt it.

First of all, it doesn't make much sense from a marketing standpoint to lose the first half of the season in merchandise sales.

Second, I don't think that the Galaxy will ever make a statement implying that Beckham is the sole driving force behind the team. In their minds, he's becoming part of the LA Galaxy, not the other way around.

Actually, the Saturday, March 10th edition of the Daily Breeze contained an article in which AEG president and CEO Tim Leiweke indicated that the Galaxy's new kits will most likely make their on-field debut in David Beckham's initial match with Los Angeles. Leiweke went on to say that LA's July 21st World Series of Football match-up with Chelsea is shaping up to be Beckham's first action with the Galaxy.

The pertinent section of the article read:

Assuming Beckham does make his debut on July 21, that is also likely the night the Galaxy play in new uniforms that will be unveiled next month.

"Once we get that new jersey and we get David and we have the opportunity to introduce it the right way," Leiweke said, "I think that we're in agreement that this tournament is a great time to introduce the new kit."

So, while the design for the Galaxy's new kit may well be revealed alongside other 2007 MLS uniforms when adidas unveils it's new website on April 7th, Leiweke gives the impression that the new LA unis won't officially be introduced by the club until David Beckham takes the pitch at the Home Depot Center.

As for the Galaxy ever making a statement implying that David Beckham is the sole driving force behind the team, I'm of a mind that "actions speak louder than words".

When have the Los Angeles Galaxy and/or Major League Soccer ever entered into a contract with a player valued at an estimated $27.5-million in base salary over five years? What other player on the Los Angeles Galaxy has a contract that offers him a percentage of club sponsorship, merchandising and uniform sales revenues? When was the last time the rebranding of the Galaxy - or any other MLS franchise, for that matter - coincided so neatly with the arrival of a new player on a team's roster?

Make no mistake about it: Galaxy management isn't likely to "make a statement implying that Beckham is the sole driving force behind the team"... but there isn't a member of the AEG braintrust who isn't thinking that's precisely what Beckham is. The Los Angeles Galaxy revolve around David Beckham for the next five years. That's precisely what AEG is counting on... whether they publicly announce it, or not.

:censored: AEG. Thanks for taking my Quakes away. Hope this Beckham publicity stunt bites them.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

As for the Galaxy ever making a statement implying that David Beckham is the sole driving force behind the team, I'm of a mind that "actions speak louder than words".

When have the Los Angeles Galaxy and/or Major League Soccer ever entered into a contract with a player valued at an estimated $27.5-million in base salary over five years? What other player on the Los Angeles Galaxy has a contract that offers him a percentage of club sponsorship, merchandising and uniform sales revenues? When was the last time the rebranding of the Galaxy - or any other MLS franchise, for that matter - coincided so neatly with the arrival of a new player on a team's roster?

Make no mistake about it: Galaxy management isn't likely to "make a statement implying that Beckham is the sole driving force behind the team"... but there isn't a member of the AEG braintrust who isn't thinking that's precisely what Beckham is. The Los Angeles Galaxy revolve around David Beckham for the next five years. That's precisely what AEG is counting on... whether they publicly announce it, or not.

Hell, the entire league will revolve around him for the next five years. He will be used as one of sport's biggest publicity tools. It will be him that tries to draw fans to soccer in America and him who tries to draw European stars to MLS. Its going to be fun to watch, IMO.

jman077.png

Sig courtesy of LEWJ

Of course, but there's a difference between what they're doing and what they'll publicly admit to be doing.

Besides, they won't sell any merchandise the first half of the year if they do that - everybody inclined to buy a shirt knows that they're changing the logo and colors.

Besides, they won't sell any merchandise the first half of the year if they do that - everybody inclined to buy a shirt knows that they're changing the logo and colors.

I seriously question whether there would be many of the new jerseys to sell in the first half of the season, regardless of whether they're officially unveiled in Beckham's first game or not. Major League Soccer, it's member franchises and their uniform suppliers haven't historically covered themselves in glory when it comes to merchandising, particularly the sale of authentic jerseys.

I'm guessing that it will take some time for Adidas to ramp-up production on the new kits to the point where fan demand will be adequately met early in the season. Sure, some lucky fans will snap-up authentic and replica jerseys, but many more MLS supporters will see their jerseys back-ordered... particularly those hoping to score one of the new Beckham-era Galaxy kits. The wait will be particularly interminable for those foolish enough to order through MLSgear.com... the worst merchandising arm of any North American major professional sports league.

Oh, I agree completely. To say they have been amateurish does a disservice to amateurs everywhere.

I do anticipate that all parties involved will make sure that the merchandise is ready in a timely fashion, however. MLS might be bad at the whole marketing game, but Adidas isn't, and they have a very large financial stake in Beckham's move to MLS.

Bottom line: nobody was really waiting to line up for New York Red Bull merchandise. Well, aside from about twelve people here. So you can understand the tardiness in actually getting it into the stores. But Beckham? They might actually sell a million of those things. All of a sudden you can understand why they might push just a little bit harder on this one.

The wait will be particularly interminable for those foolish enough to order through MLSgear.com... the worst merchandising arm of any North American major professional sports league.

Hey, be thankful they got around to selling 12 items for the Dynamo this past season. That took a lot out of them!

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

• LMU locked this topic

Archived