Muckler Fired

Brass

Im starting to think these are all rumors.

If not maybe he got canned cause they saw what kind of team Murray put together in Anaheim in such little time...

If hes gone and murray is GM bring in Mr. Cunneyworth!

TSN.ca - http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=211095&hubname=

OTTAWA (CP) - Amid a report that his job is on the line, Ottawa Senators general manager John Muckler was keeping quiet Sunday.

''I cannot talk at this time,'' Muckler said when reached by The Canadian Press. An Ottawa Senators spokesman also refused to comment on reports that there is front-office shakeup in the works.

The 73-year-old Muckler was fired Saturday, according to a Sun Media report, with an announcement of his departure expected as early as Sunday.

There's also speculation Bryan Murray, whose contract as head coach expires June 30, could be promoted to GM.

''I can't really say anything at this point,'' Murray told CP.

Two senior NHL executives speaking to Sun Media said they believe Senators owner Eugene Melnyk gave Muckler his walking papers on Friday.

Senators president Roy Mlakar told the newspaper that Muckler's future will be decided by ''the end of the weekend.''

The Sun notes that Melnyk's spokesman, Ken Villazor, would not deny the report, saying "the owner has released a statement that he was reviewing all management with the club."

Melnyk's statement, to TSN's Bob McKenzie on Friday, was as follows:

"We are continuing to have ongoing discussions with management on the future direction and therefore the roles of everyone at the senior level. We had a great year and I am very proud of what my team has achieved. Saying that, I am always evaluating what we can do, both short term and long term, to continue the momentum and lead us to a Stanley Cup victory next year and for years to come."

The Senators went an impressive 48-25-9 in the regular season, and advanced to the Stanley Cup final, shaking off the tag of post-season underachievers. But they seemed to run out of steam in the final, losing to the Anaheim Ducks in five games.

Despite the disappointing final result, at the end-of-season news conference, Muckler, who has one year left on his contract, said he had every intention of returning for his final year and had no desire to leave.

''I'm having too much fun,'' he told reporters.

Muckler, a five-time Stanley Cup winner with the Edmonton Oilers, joined the Senators in June of 2002.

The Sens GM also said at the wrap-up news conference he wanted to stick with Murray. The two started contract talks when the season ended, and the staffing picture was expected to become clearer by the time teams gather for the draft that begins Friday in Columbus.

''I'm a coach and being the coach is what I expect I'll be if I'm anything,'' Murray said then.

ok...... :therock:

I already knew that...I just said I think it'll end up being nothing...

FYI, Murray did NOT put that Anaheim team together. Burke did, almost the entire roster that won the cup was brought in when Burke took control of the team. All Murray did was put together a bunch of players that over achieved one season. So unless they want to downgrade the Sens line up... I wouldn't want Murray as a GM... mind you... that doesn't sound too bad of an idea.

Obviously he didn't put the whole team together but before he left I'm sure he dafted some of the younger guys who helped them win the cup. I'm sure some of the other guys on that team were brought in when he was their...

Hi, how are you?

FYI, Murray did NOT put that Anaheim team together. Burke did, almost the entire roster that won the cup was brought in when Burke took control of the team. All Murray did was put together a bunch of players that over achieved one season. So unless they want to downgrade the Sens line up... I wouldn't want Murray as a GM... mind you... that doesn't sound too bad of an idea.

Your right he has little to do with putting the Ducks championship team together. He only drafted Getzlaf and Perry. He also was able to trade for Rob Niedermayer just a few minutes before New Jersey could which of course led to the signing of Scott Niedermayer.

Your right he has little to do with putting the Ducks championship team together. He only drafted Getzlaf and Perry. He also was able to trade for Rob Niedermayer just a few minutes before New Jersey could which of course led to the signing of Scott Niedermayer.

There was an article a week or so ago in either the Toronto Star or Toronto Sun about how Burke changed the team into the powerhouse we witnessed win the cup. It detailed his every trade and player shuffle and his whole mentality towards what kind of team he wanted on the ice and why he hired Caryle to lead this group. I wish I could find a link to it because it was very interesting and informative... but he really was the reason this team was so good... Murray did nothing but give him the players he needed to trade away for prospects and cap room. So we can all thank Murray for that!! :P

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

And im not trying to say that Burke didn't make a Championship team, but Murray did draft some of the guys who really helped that club.

Didn't he bring in Giguere as well?

He was only the GM from 02-04, and Giguere came to Anaheim in 01 (June 10, 2001 - Traded to the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim for a 2nd round pick in 2000 (Matt Pettinger).). So he had nothing to do with Giguere. He did help build the Red Wings of the latter 90's along with the Panthers... but thats about it.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

It's official - Muckler out, Murray in as GM.

All I can say is you gotta love a man who is coming in to ride the coat tails of his predecessors success. I have a feeling under Murray, the team won't make it back to the finals and maybe won't even make it as far as the Eastern Confrence Finals... It will be interesting to see how he handles the Gerber/Emery situation and what kind of players he moves or brings in. I think this will all end in one big disaster... which has me jumping for joy in anticipation!!! :D :D

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Go Leafs Go!

All I can say is you gotta love a man who is coming in to ride the coat tails of his predecessors success. I have a feeling under Murray, the team won't make it back to the finals and maybe won't even make it as far as the Eastern Confrence Finals... It will be interesting to see how he handles the Gerber/Emery situation and what kind of players he moves or brings in. I think this will all end in one big disaster... which has me jumping for joy in anticipation!!! :D :D

Best news I've heard in a while. I don't really like Muckler, but this seems unfair; leading the team to its first cup final. O nthe other hand....I really don't like the Sens.

Best news I've heard in a while. I don't really like Muckler, but this seems unfair; leading the team to its first cup final. O nthe other hand....I really don't like the Sens.

I'm not really surprised by this. Melnyk didn't hire either Mlakar or Muckler. It's been documented that there's been a bit of tension there and that they don't really get along too well. I guess if you're the guy who signs the cheques you get to win the arguments...

I think this decision was made a long time ago. Whether Muckler knew about it or not. Mlakar will be next.

Considering on how everyone thought that losing Zedeno Chara in the offseason would be huge, the team making it farther than they've ever been should be something worthy of a promotion, not a firing.

Over the past while Muckler's put one hell of a team together, and had them set on improving every year and adapting well to the salary cap put in place in his tenure.

The only knock against him is that the team has choked in the playoffs year after year. In my mind that's more telling on the coach than the GM though.

I'd take Muckler anyday over most of the employed GMs in the NHL, and it's a shame he's gotten the shaft.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

Archived