Perlozzo Out as O's Manager

KevinMcD

Why did Davey Johnson get fired from Baltimore? Didn't he win AL Manager of the Year in his final year there?

Technically Johnson resigned. But it was all over a disagreement with Angelos. Roberto Alomar was going to pay a fine and Johnson had it paid toward his wife's charity without getting permission. It was really stupid and no surprise that the losing started after that.

Also it's looking like Girardi may take the job. I'm really surprised but apparently he's interested because MacPhail will have full control over baseball operations. This has me excitied because both Girardi and MacPhail would be quite angry if Angelos broke this agreement, so hopefully it will stay intact. Also it would be good to make up for Johnson's firing by signing the last manager to be fired after winning manager of the year (yes, johnson won it in 1997).

Evidently Angelos wasn't willing to be hands-off after all.

Who's the top candidate now?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Well Angelos didn't have anything to do with Girardi. I've heard that Girardi wanted a clause in his contract allowing him to be released if the Cubs or yankees job became available. I'm glad we didn't agree to that.

I'm hearing that Davey Johnson is being looked at. Don Baylor, Jerry Manuel, and Rick Dempsey are also names I've been hearing. Dusty Baker also removed his name from consideration (thank God!). Personally I hope they only look at Johnson. If he turns them down too, just keep Trembley for the season and start a new search in the offseason. No reason to sign the best available guy now, when there will be better candidates in the offseason.

Personally I hope they only look at Johnson. If he turns them down too, just keep Trembley for the season and start a new search in the offseason. No reason to sign the best available guy now, when there will be better candidates in the offseason.

Agreed. In fact, I'm almost inclined to say let Trembley finish out the season anyway. That way, you don't potentially taint Johnson by having him manage a team that still has big flaws. Let him come in as part of a completely fresh approach in the offseason.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

You know, I've had this crazy idea, one that I know will never happen, but doesn't seem all that bad.

Here it goes...

Manager of the Baltimore Orioles, Cal Ripken Jr.

Just an idea.

Ripken is not interested in managing. He's more concerned with ownership of his minor league teams. Which is perfectly fine with me. It can get help him for when he buys the team from Angelos in the future. Plus I think managing could "taint" his legacy (like Alan Trammel with the Tigers). If the team doesn't improve at it will be one of the last things fans remember about him.

You know, I've had this crazy idea, one that I know will never happen, but doesn't seem all that bad.

Here it goes...

Manager of the Baltimore Orioles, Cal Ripken Jr.

Just an idea.

Ripken is not interested in managing. He's more concerned with ownership of his minor league teams. Which is perfectly fine with me. It can get help him for when he buys the team from Angelos in the future. Plus I think managing could "taint" his legacy (like Alan Trammel with the Tigers). If the team doesn't improve at it will be one of the last things fans remember about him.

That's what I was going to say. Ripken's going to be the Orioles' owner down the road.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived