San Jose Sharks concept

IceCap

So with the leak of the new SJ Sharks logo, I decided to update my Sharks concept. At first I decided to just go with a modified version of the Sharks' original uniforms, with the modern colours and logo. Then I decided this would be a great opportunity to bring the Sharks back to their Oakland/California Seals roots.

Using the uniforms of the 1974-1976 California Golden Seals as inspiration, I came up with this:

SJS3.png

C&C welcome, as always.

*Thanks to rapideyemovement for the touched-up Sharks logo.

its okay, the only problem I see is that the logo looks like a more modern version of the old one, yet you made the uniform more traditional. Its a solid uniform design, but it doesn't seem to fit with the updated logo, IMO.

TDZiMMB.png

The orange is a bit too prominent for my liking - I'd thin it down so it was closer to piping than a stripe. And I'd like to see the order of the colours in the collar the same as in the body.

Thats not what i saw for the new logo from the team.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?sh...450&st=1680

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=51043

its okay, the only problem I see is that the logo looks like a more modern version of the old one, yet you made the uniform more traditional. Its a solid uniform design, but it doesn't seem to fit with the updated logo, IMO.

I see what you're saying, but going with a modern striping design would defeat the purpose of the concept, which was to bring the Sharks back to their Oakland/California Seals routes by referencing one of the more unique Seals jerseys with the striping.

They did say the jerseys would have traditional stripes (rumour has it). I like the jersey, im not a fan of the colours or logo but you made it work.

Thanks. I'm happy to hear that a return to traditional striping may be in the works for the Sharks. Their original jerseys were amazing, and an updated version of those with the new colours and logo would look great (which is what I partially tried to do with this concept).

not bad. but it def wont look like that at all. I think the orange will not be so pronounced on the new sweaters.

The orange is a bit too prominent for my liking - I'd thin it down so it was closer to piping than a stripe. And I'd like to see the order of the colours in the collar the same as in the body.

Looking at it again, I agree, the orange is to prominent. Here's my second stab at it:

SJS5.png

The orange has been thinned down to almost piping, I re-did the name and number fonts to more closely reflect what the team will be wearing starting this upcoming season, and I added a recoloured version of the dorsal fin logo as the alternate.

As for the collar(s), I couldn't make a four-striped version work, so I just went with a solid colour version. The collar now ties into the cuffs at the wrists rather then the striping.

Again, C&C welcome, as always.

I like it a lot! I hope thoguh that the logo on there white jersey will be outlined in orange, cause I don't like the look of it straight on white.

Thats not what i saw for the new logo from the team.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?sh...450&st=1680

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=51043

I see what you're saying, but going with a modern striping design would defeat the purpose of the concept, which was to bring the Sharks back to their Oakland/California Seals routes by referencing one of the more unique Seals jerseys with the striping.

They did say the jerseys would have traditional stripes (rumour has it). I like the jersey, im not a fan of the colours or logo but you made it work.

Thanks. I'm happy to hear that a return to traditional striping may be in the works for the Sharks. Their original jerseys were amazing, and an updated version of those with the new colours and logo would look great (which is what I partially tried to do with this concept).

not bad. but it def wont look like that at all. I think the orange will not be so pronounced on the new sweaters.

Looking at it again, I agree, the orange is to prominent. Here's my second stab at it:

SJS5.png

The orange has been thinned down to almost piping, I re-did the name and number fonts to more closely reflect what the team will be wearing starting this upcoming season, and I added a recoloured version of the dorsal fin logo as the alternate.

As for the collar(s), I couldn't make a four-striped version work, so I just went with a solid colour version. The colour now ties into the cuffs at the wrists rather then the striping.

Again, C&C welcome, as always.

I like this road more!

untitled-6.jpg

I like the orange outlined, it has the shark stand out a bit more. When seeing the logo off of the jersey I didnt like it, but on here I do...lol

Thanks B)

Personally I could go either way on the orange outline. Both the logo straight on white and with the outline look good to me.

Here's the dorsal fin logo I recoloured and used as the alternate logo:

NHLlogosSJSalt.png

Icecap79, great job with your jersey concepts with what has been said to be the new Sharks primary logo.

I do hope the team keeps the original secondary "shoulder" logo as opposed to what is rumored instead.

I have one question though. Why do you have the main striping on the sleeves above the numbers as opposed to below it? I thought football jerseys have those stripes at shoulder level, not hockey jerseys.

Having that yellow/orange as an accent color is better than being a predominant color as someone here suggested. I know it was brought up here at CCSLC that it may resemble the Miami Dolphins colors. If these similar colors work for the Sharks, it shouldn't be a big deal. I mean, how many professional teams use red, white and/or blue in their color schemes? In Major League Baseball, look at how many teams have red and white as their colors? I wish the Washington Nationals did something different with their jerseys to not look like another Phillies, Cardinals or Angels clone only with the added gold on their home uniforms. It's how they are used that makes a difference. Also, I agree, they don't want to just repeat what the Ducks did with their rebranding.

Fist, thanks to everyone who's given C&C. I think this is the first concept I've ever done where I've liked each version better then the last (I've decided I like the orange outline on the logo on the road jerseys).

So thanks to everyone who's given their input so far. Keep it coming! B)

Icecap79, great job with your jersey concepts with what has been said to be the new Sharks primary logo.

Thank you.

I do hope the team keeps the original secondary "shoulder" logo as opposed to what is rumored instead.

Same here. IMO a secondary "shoulder" logo should add to the identity of the team in a way the primary logo doesn't (the Blues' trumpet logo did this the best, IMO).

The rumours that the Sharks are just going with a full body version of their primary for their secondary logo is disappointing. A secondary mark and a primary logo shouldn't be that similar. The dorsal fin logo was brilliant, and IMO looks sharp in the new colour scheme.

I have one question though. Why do you have the main striping on the sleeves above the numbers as opposed to below it? I thought football jerseys have those stripes at shoulder level, not hockey jerseys.

You're right, to an extent. Traditionally only football jerseys use this style of striping. I decided to use it in this concept to bring the Sharks back to their Oakland/California Seals roots. The striping pattern(s) I used with this concept reference the California Golden Seals' 1974-1976 uniforms.

Having that yellow/orange as an accent color is better than being a predominant color as someone here suggested. I know it was brought up here at CCSLC that it may resemble the Miami Dolphins colors. If these similar colors work for the Sharks, it shouldn't be a big deal. I mean, how many professional teams use red, white and/or blue in their color schemes? In Major League Baseball, look at how many teams have red and white as their colors? I wish the Washington Nationals did something different with their jerseys to not look like another Phillies, Cardinals or Angels clone only with the added gold on their home uniforms. It's how they are used that makes a difference. Also, I agree, they don't want to just repeat what the Ducks did with their rebranding.

I agree, I don't see a problem with the Sharks using a somewhat similar scheme as the Miami Dolphins. Besides, it seems like the Sharks will use black liberally, while the 'Phins don't use it at all.

All though I do like the Washington Nationals' uniform set :P

If anything I think orange will be used more prominently in regards to the Sharks' new uniform/logo set then it's used with the Ducks' uniform/logo set.

Really solid concept, 'Cap. The revisions were also well done.

My only thought is that the orange really disappears on the teal sweater. On the white sweater, it's much more noticeable. That may be because on the white sweater, the orange piping is breaking up the two darkest colors on the stripes, the teal and the black. In this setting, the orange is a great contrast color, and really works. But on the teal sweater, the orange piping divides a white stripe from a black one. There's already enough contrast between black and white that the orange doesn't serve much of a purpose.

My thought? Use the orange as the divider between every black and teal interface. That would mean placing orange piping at the uppermost and lowermost edges of the striping panels on the sleeves and the torso. It would also mean making the numbers white, outlined black, outlined orange.

I realize that what I am proposing would throw off the symmetry between the home and road sweaters. However, you'd get a lot more mileage out of a little band of color. Give it a shot; if it looks like crap, or it makes the two sweaters too dissimilar, forget I ever said anything. But I do think that you have a great contrast color in orange on an otherwise dark sweater, and if used properly, could be very very effective.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I like it a lot! I hope thoguh that the logo on there white jersey will be outlined in orange, cause I don't like the look of it straight on white.

Ask and ye shall receive!

SJS6.png

That in my eyes is perfect for the Sharks!

untitled-6.jpg

Archived