An Unranked team FAVORED to a Top 5 team?

pcgd

Just reading up on what will be a big game for Illinois Football this weekend and I found out that Illinois (unranked, 4 wins in the last 2 years, Illinois) is FAVORED against #5 Wisconsin this weekend.

Every betting line has them favored, most of them 2.5 points, Bodog has them as 3 point and another has them as 1 point favorites.

Now, I think Illinois can win this game just as much as any other Illinois fan, and I know Wisconsin has played down to their opponents every game this year including against The Citadel, and the game is in Champaign, but WTF? Unranked Illinois being favorites against a top 5 team?? Its 2.5 at home which means its basically a toss up game.

I know lines are moved as a result of bets placed, but typically they are used as to whom the "favorite" is.

Wisconsin is #5 simply because they didn't lose last week, and a whole host of top-ranked teams did. Vegas recognizes this, and is setting the lines accordingly.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I really think we can and will win this game. And when and if we do, I think we'll move solidly into the top 25.

But to FAVOR us? That's a stretch.

Honestly, a lot of things add up to us having a very real chance here, but to FAVOR us? I dunno, not a fan of that.

But thankfully, Zook thanks it's equally ludicris, so the Illini should be ready.

yea i was suprised when i first saw this and the 39 points for the USC-Stanford game till i found out Stanford's QB is out for the game. At least K-State is a 3pt fav over Kansas, get em cats make em pay for last year!!!!!!

I really think we can and will win this game. And when and if we do, I think we'll move solidly into the top 25.

Honestly, a lot of things add up to us having a very real chance here, but to FAVOR us? I dunno, not a fan of that.

But thankfully, Zook thanks it's equally ludicris, so the Illini should be ready.

We? I did not know you were playing? ^_^

I saw, I came, I left.

We? I did not know you were playing? ^_^

I almost understand people getting on my case for pro sports franchises...but when I actually attend the U of I?

Really?

(Yeah, yeah, I saw your smiley...)

The betting line is NOT a score predictor.

It's a market predictor -- and good line-makers are better served by scouting the betting public than the athletes on the two teams involved in the game.

co-signed

But hey... if this is the kick in the ass the Badgers need to start playing to the best of their abilities, I'm all for it. I never was (and probably never will be) a bettin' man...

Archived