What's good in theaters

habsfan1

I've went to see Big Fish last week and I did not like it. I've develloped this habit of going to see bad movies because and it won't go away. I'm get fooled by the previews. I wanna go see something else next week and i want some advice about what i should check out. What would you suggest?

I don't know. I'm a big fan of Tim Burton as a director, as well as Albert Finney as an actor, and "Big Fish" left me absolutely cold. I'm talking, "Meh."

I'll admit to being emotionally moved during the last ten minutes of the film, though I attribute that to the fact that I've dealt with some pretty fu(ked-up dynamics in the realtionship I have with my own father. As for the rest of the movie, it did nothing for me.

Aside from a couple of typical Tim Burton flourishes, visually and narratively I thought that "Big Fish" paled next to Burton's other works. There was nothing about Albert Finney's portrayal of Ed Bloom that convinced me he was a spell-binding, larger-than-life weaver of tall-tales. Billy Crudup's portrayal of Will Bloom came across as a one-note, self-pitying whiner. In my estimation, the talents of Jessica Lange and Helena Bonham Carter were both wasted. All in all, if they'd charged me a $1.50 and shown me just the final 10 minutes of the movie, I'd have been just as emotionally moved, entertained and satisfied.

My review of "Big Fish"? The biggest "fish story" surrounding the movie is the word-of-mouth that paints it as the definitive cinematic treatment of father-son relations.

Brian in Boston

Its January unless its a movie still out since Deceber chances are its gonna be awful.

Studios relase movies on a schedule

Jan-Mar. The dreek of the dreek the worst movies the have that they hope do weel enough to break even.

Apr. The start of the blockbuster season 1 or 2 big hits usually coemout around now.

May-Aug. Blockbuster season this is where the big budget action movies all come out for the fans who go to movies in the summer.

Sept-Oct. Horror movies and actions movies that cant compete with the blcokbusters.

Nov-Dec. Famil Movies, or movies with a holliday theme, along with art movies intend to nab Oscar Nominations.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

butterfly effect is good, but it is a bit "disturbing" and "depressing"  at the beginning especially. but it is a pretty good movie

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

I think.. i THINK, that maybe movies are all a matter of personal choice... kinda like what is a good and a bad logo. Maybe you should see what you think might be good, and then decide. I liked Big Fish.. and liked Tommy Boy, so what do i know?

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

I think.. i THINK, that maybe movies are all a matter of personal choice... kinda like what is a good and a bad logo. Maybe you should see what you think might be good, and then decide. I liked Big Fish.. and liked Tommy Boy, so what do i know?

exactly....i love both Citizen Kane and Half-Baked. so there.

The Remake of "Dawn of the Dead" is ocming out soon, as well as "The Punisher".. the first two movies i really wanna see...

Troy looks like it won't suck..., but the Chronicles of Riddick looks horrendous, a disgrace to have it linked to Pitch Black, a great movie, in anyway....

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Why would they remake Dawn of teh Dead?

I dont get remakes at all, evene with the better special effects they always seem to fail in making it as good as the orginial

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

Why would they remake Dawn of teh Dead?

I dont get remakes at all, evene with the better special effects they always seem to fail in making it as good as the orginial

the re-make of the 'Lord of the Rings' Trilogy was far superior than the '70s Ralph Bakshi animated versions......so there!

the re-make of the 'Lord of the Rings' Trilogy was far superior than the '70s Ralph Bakshi animated versions......so there!

But your talking about Live Action against a cartoon, and i dunno if the cartoon was even released in theaters...

On other remake news, production is starting for a Live-Action remake of Transformers: The Movie.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

But your talking about Live Action against a cartoon, and i dunno if the cartoon was even released in theaters...

oh, but it was....and i saw them in the theater......

also, the re-make of 'Casablanca', called 'Barb-Wire' was terrible (try to fight me on this one, but watch them back to back and see the similarities)

the re-make of 'Hidden Fortress' (samurai film from the 50's) called 'Star Wars' is pretty much a split vote for me.

the re-make of 'Point Blank' (starring Lee Marvin and Angie Dickinson, made in the late '60s), called "Payback" w/ Mel Gibson, Kristofferson, and Coburn was better than the original (and i love the original)

the re-make of 'The Seven Samurai', called 'The Magnificent Seven' is a split vote.

the re-make of 'City on Fire', called 'Reservoir Dogs' is superior.

the re-make of 'The Postman Always Rings Twice' is superior.

the 'Nutty Professor' re-make was great.

the re-make of 'La Femme Nikita', called 'Point of No Return' was garbage.

the re-make of Godard's 'A bout de souffle', called 'Breathless' w/ Richard Gere was garbage.

Branagh's 'Hamlet' was better than Olivier's

Welles' 'MacBeth' was better than Olivier's

"Snatch' was better than 'Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels'

Cronenberg's 'The Fly' was better than the original

the original "Planet of the Apes' was better.

the "Ocean's Eleven' remake was better.

Scorsese's 'Cape Fear' remake was better.

i can go on and on.....

and as for the 'Dawn of the Dead' remake......nothing like zombies.....especially zombies in a shopping mall.

wow.

right.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

The remake of Phyco was pointless, and uneeded and it reeked.

I guess it depends how its done, but you risk screwing things up with a remake.

A for Lord of teh Rings the animated is long forgotten the live action is what matter and in 50 years some oen tries to remake it. It will suck garunteeded.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

Archived