This Happened In New York Today...

TFoA

nba_a_pinkslip_600.jpg

Art Nathan s not waiting around for Garden chairman James Dolan to issue Isiah Thomas a pink slip.

Nathan, a 67-year-old Freeport (L.I.) dentist and lifelong Knicks fan, is taking the matter into his own hands. Wednesday, a mere half-court heave from the Garden entrance, Nathan will kick-start what he hopes will be the beginning of the end of Thomas' Knick tenure, complete with what Nathan calls "the world's largest pink slip" at eight-by-four feet.

"This is ridiculous what's going on with the Knicks," Nathan told the Daily News Tuesday. "I'm rallying the troops to do what we have to do."

Nathan is asking all faithful Knick supporters to come out at 11 a.m. sharp today, where he will proudly display his Patrick Ewing-sized pink slip on Seventh Ave., between 31st and 32nd Streets.

Nathan said he has received police permission to stage the protest there in a cordoned-off area. He has chosen that time of day to try to get more people to attend and minimize the chances of the Knicks interfering.

The massive billboard has a letter inscribed on the front, imploring Dolan to terminate Thomas immediately.

"We are fed up with the performance of your team under the leadership of Coach Isiah Thomas," the letter reads. Below is ample space for petitioners' signatures.

Nathan had the sign made at Sign-A-Rama in Hicksville, L.I. The store's co-owner, 45-year-old Vinny Marino, said Nathan's pink slip was certainly one of the strangest requests he has received. Marino, a huge Jets fan, chuckled when asked if it's too early to draw up a massive pink slip for Jets coach Eric Mangini.

The Knicks (7-17) play host to LeBron James and the Cavaliers 81/2 hours after the start of the protest. Nathan, a season ticket-holder, will not be in attendance.

"When you think of all the great Knicks coaches - Joe Lapchick, Red Holzman - you don't think of Isiah Thomas," said Nathan, who said he caught several Knick games at the old Garden as a kid.

"The saddest thing for me was when the Dodgers left Brooklyn. This is the second saddest thing for me. Somebody's got to step up and do something if Dolan won't."

In short, Knick fans are PISSED.

Only in New York... ^_^

As far as this story goes, well...to be continued...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

It's funny how after that demonstration the Knicks are able to pull it together and demolish a team. You play with a bit of heart and purpose... look what can happen.

That scene will duplicate (to an extent) outside of The Quicken Loans Arena if the Cavaliers don't figure this out. They are terrible right now... losing 9 of 11. LeBron has been back from injury for a few games now! You play without heart and purpose... look what can happen.

The Cavaliers need a heart transplant.

Nah, Burn... As long as the Browns are alive and in anything resembling a Super Bowl hunt, the Cavs are on the back-burner in the minds of most. They'll wake up in January when, on the Monday after the Browns are eliminated, they'll look at the NBA standings and go, "Holy Cow! What happened?"

sounds like dallas right now. mavs, rangers stars? don't exist. Not until after january when the mavs heat up the newsstands. Thats usually after fans realize there is life beyond the cowboys.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

I know, right? I can still remember going to Dallas for Christmas last year, and even though the Mavs were going on that unbelievable tear last year, the newspapers were ALL OVER the Cowboys. I could've sworn I saw an article on Flozell Adams popping up on "Dontdatehimgirl.com"

I saw this guy last night on SportsNet New York's Daily News Live, and he sounds very committed to this movement to get Isiah out. I'm not sure what good it's gonna do since Jim Dolan is so in love with Isiah, but I admire him and his fellow Knicks fans. Someone here said it best when they mentioned that the Knicks are just a toy for Chuck Dolan's knucklehead of a son. I think when it's going to hurt is when it start to affect the team's bottomline, which might be anytime in the immediate future.

Forbes just came out with a list of the most valuable NBA franchises, and the Knicks are #1 at $608 million.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2007/32/biz_07...ions_Value.html

I know, right? I can still remember going to Dallas for Christmas last year, and even though the Mavs were going on that unbelievable tear last year, the newspapers were ALL OVER the Cowboys. I could've sworn I saw an article on Flozell Adams popping up on "Dontdatehimgirl.com"

the newspapers and all local d/fw news outlets were all over the cowboys when they were doing their 5-11 trilogy and the stars were going to the cup or at least making serious runs at the time. Stars got a little bit of coverage but only because they HAD to cover a team going to the cup at the time. But it usually tipped off with cowboys losing then to stars winning.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Archived