NHL: Who Wants to Win the Southeast Division?

rmackman

The thing about dynasties is that many times, they transcend the sports world and become part of mainstream culture. For example, many rappers today are in they're late teens-early twenties, so they grew up when the Yankees and Braves were the tops in baseball. Now fast-forward to today, and in almost 90% percent of rap videos, you'll see someone in a Yankees or Braves hat. (Of course, many rappers are from New York or Atlanta, but there are also a lot of rappers from Miami, and I've never seen a Marlins hat on MTV.)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the division is anyones race at this point. i hope the Caps win, and i think they have the firepower to score with anyone, but the defense is lackluster and Olie needs to find his game again. he took steps vs Tampa last night, but he needs to be consistent, as does Johnny. Ovie Semin and Fleishmann are scoring alot of goals right now, and its essential to get the secondary scoring. i hope Clark comes back before the end of the year, otherwise itll be very hard for them to advance if they make it.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

• 4 weeks later...

Well this is starting to get interesting now. Carolina, Washington, and Florida all refuse to lose. They're currently three of the hottest teams in the NHL, and they al have to play each other twice between now and the end of the first week of April. Watch out for Carolina's professional diving team though.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Well this is starting to get interesting now. Carolina, Washington, and Florida all refuse to lose. They're currently three of the hottest teams in the NHL, and they al have to play each other twice between now and the end of the first week of April. Watch out for Carolina's professional diving team though.

You best watch yo' mouth, or Tim Conboy will open up a can on yo' ass.

You best watch yo' mouth, or Tim Conboy will open up a can on yo' ass.

Hey I'm willing to throw down!

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

It quite awesome, that this division went from crap (when this thread started) to some of the best hockey we have seen this season. I like the fact that the Caps can pretty much score at will, but this thing will go down to the wire. I take back what I said about wishing the Hawks were in here because now they would finish out of the playoffs still. :( Next year boys, next year.

MildlyPsycho.png

Realsig.png

The Thrashers are pretty much done. Too little to late.

Yeah, they DEFINITELY picked the wrong time to start their worst slump of the year, IMO. That was ridiculous, the defense was terrible, Lehtonen was basically getting pelted in the net, and the offense was terrible. Army, Christensen, and Espo are good additions, but sadly they won't be able to contribute towards a playoff push. At least for this year... <_<

It's entirely possible that TWO teams from this division could qualify for the playoffs. ACTUALLY...if Boston slips...even three, but that's pushing it.

spacer.png

we're only 2 pts back from Philly, we're actually getting consistent solid goaltending. the acquisition of Huet has pushed Olie to be better, so they are both playing to be #1 and Boudreaus pushing the right buttons as far as who to play when. the Caps are also getting secondary scoring now with Brooks Laich approaching 20! i dont think we'll be able to overtake Carolina at this point, because they are playing lights out hockey, but the 8th seed is well within our reach.

"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

we're only 2 pts back from Philly, we're actually getting consistent solid goaltending. the acquisition of Huet has pushed Olie to be better, so they are both playing to be #1 and Boudreaus pushing the right buttons as far as who to play when. the Caps are also getting secondary scoring now with Brooks Laich approaching 20! i dont think we'll be able to overtake Carolina at this point, because they are playing lights out hockey, but the 8th seed is well within our reach.

Yeah, but you've gotta play a hot Panthers team TWICE in the next 2 weeks. That's likely to be the make or break point.

spacer.png

By the way I just want to point out I'm rather irritated at ESPN.com's poll in the NHL section.

WILL THE FLORIDA PANTHERS MAKE THE PLAYOFFS?

21% YES

79% NO

When you break it down by state, Florida is the ony state that has enough yes votes to turn it blue. The rest of the nation is all A BIG FAT NO! I don't get it. What do the Cats have to do to convince anyone they're legit? I feel like if the Panthers made the playoffs everyone would yell and say they don't deserve it. Then if they won a series people would just get angry. Then if we advance past more than one round everyone would yell fluke and turn off their TV. It's sad. The Panthers are playing some of the best hockey in the NHL right now, and this is the first time all season we've had most of our players back. Finally there are no AHL callups on the roster. I don't know what it takes for people to see the Cats as worthwhile though. Oh well...their loss.

spacer.png

By the way I just want to point out I'm rather irritated at ESPN.com's poll in the NHL section.

21% YES

79% NO

When you break it down by state, Florida is the ony state that has enough yes votes to turn it blue. The rest of the nation is all A BIG FAT NO! I don't get it. What do the Cats have to do to convince anyone they're legit? I feel like if the Panthers made the playoffs everyone would yell and say they don't deserve it. Then if they won a series people would just get angry. Then if we advance past more than one round everyone would yell fluke and turn off their TV. It's sad. The Panthers are playing some of the best hockey in the NHL right now, and this is the first time all season we've had most of our players back. Finally there are no AHL callups on the roster. I don't know what it takes for people to see the Cats as worthwhile though. Oh well...their loss.

youre going to espn for reputable hockey coverage? thats like going to fox news channel for real news. c'mon now. maybe its because the Panthers last made the playoffs what...12 years ago? they arent exactly a shining example of how to run a franchise. but theyre hanging in the playoff race, thats for sure. its gonna be a fun march and into april to see who exactly gets the 8th slot. also to the point of the poll, how many games have they been on national tv? i recall very few times but you can correct me if im wrong, no ones gotten to see this team play. hockey people know that Olli Jokinen is an elite player in the league, but your looking on a poll on espn.com, and the average person does not know who Jokinen is. at this point its wide open, and i look forward to the 2 games we have left vs the Panthers.

21% YES

79% NO

youre going to espn for reputable hockey coverage? thats like going to fox news channel for real news. c'mon now. maybe its because the Panthers last made the playoffs what...12 years ago? they arent exactly a shining example of how to run a franchise. but theyre hanging in the playoff race, thats for sure. its gonna be a fun march and into april to see who exactly gets the 8th slot. also to the point of the poll, how many games have they been on national tv? i recall very few times but you can correct me if im wrong, no ones gotten to see this team play. hockey people know that Olli Jokinen is an elite player in the league, but your looking on a poll on espn.com, and the average person does not know who Jokinen is. at this point its wide open, and i look forward to the 2 games we have left vs the Panthers.

Good point. And for your knowledgeable response you've won 2 tickets to the Panthers/Capitals game in South Florida at the end of March. Plane tickets not included. :D

spacer.png

i know where the Cats are at now man, the Caps have been there for years. only now that we have the most electrifying player in the league are we getting any play at all. if we had a workman like lunchpail type of group that the Panthers essentially have, we'd be getting the same disrespect.

21% YES

79% NO

Uhoh. The Panthers fans are setting themselves up for major disappointment again this season I see. :P

I'm rooting for anybody but Florida.

Why? I don't think anyone can hate the Panthers because we don't really have any rivals or any players that stick out enough to actually dislike.

spacer.png

i know where the Cats are at now man, the Caps have been there for years. only now that we have the most electrifying player in the league are we getting any play at all. if we had a workman like lunchpail type of group that the Panthers essentially have, we'd be getting the same disrespect.

See but doesn't having a bunch of blue collar work horses make it fun to watch? Yeah the NHL is all over the A.O. & Crosby bandwagon. The Cats have never really had a star player here except for the short stint when Pavel Bure visited and the stellar goaltending of John Vanbiesbrouck before that.

Hey what ever happened to Jim Carey with you guys? I remember him years back. Our whole division is going to improve now. With you guys getting Huet in net, A.O., Kozlov...there's plenty of firepower. Carolina somehow seems to reload no matter what. They survive like cockroaches. The Panthers are improving little by little.

I'm not so sure where Atlanta and Tampa Bay are headed though.

spacer.png

Corvo and Samsonov have been great addtitions to the Canes. Along with their two new enforcers so-to-speak, in Brookbank and Conboy. They spend a lot of time in the box, is that really a good thing?

Personal bias on Conboy, he played junior hockey in Topeka.

Cam Ward is back to the level he was at during their Cup winning season.

Things look good for Carolina.

After their beat down of Ottawa last week, I think they could do some damage in the East.

Archived