Hockey-related Site Launch Announcement

CJR

I probably could have posted this in a bunch of the forums here but I'm saying this one makes the most sense and going with it.

After months of Chris nagging me about this idea, a few weeks ago I finally gave in and started building a site to chronicle all of the sweater numbers that every hockey player of note has worn throughout his career. The result is a new site, HockeySweaterNumbers.com.

I wanted to announce the launch around the NHL trade deadline but it just didn't happen that way.

The data is very incomplete and is available from other places but what makes this site unique are two things. Not only can the data be browsed not by number but by team and player as well. Additionally, all of the data is user-editable.

If you see something wrong, you're free to change it, like a wiki.

I'm hoping people will take a look around, have some fun with it, help me find out what's broken, and maybe it'll become a solid resource. For now you can call it a beta (though I hate version numbers for websites, but that's a debate for another day and forum).

Thanks.

Data is user editable? I'll add some Flyers numbers later.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Bah - I edited my post to make it sound less critical, but you got it anyway!

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Where is the CHL, more specifically, the OHL??

It'll be there. The only data I had to load the site with for the launch was NHL so I focused on that and then some leagues I had in the system at DetroitHockey.Net.

No worries, I just wanted to add this years Petes roster. I can also add the one from two seasons ago and possibly a lot of info from earlier years... but I won't know until I go home next where I have this giant Petes yearbook thingy.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

It'll be there. The only data I had to load the site with for the launch was NHL so I focused on that and then some leagues I had in the system at DetroitHockey.Net.

No worries, I just wanted to add this years Petes roster. I can also add the one from two seasons ago and possibly a lot of info from earlier years... but I won't know until I go home next where I have this giant Petes yearbook thingy.

They're up now. Doesn't take too much to add a league, just wasn't my focus. I need to see what leagues people have information for now and get them added.

They're up now. Doesn't take too much to add a league, just wasn't my focus. I need to see what leagues people have information for now and get them added.

Editing a few numbers I have run into a bit of a problem. It is kind of weird having "2007" for the year a number was worn for those players who were traded and finished the season on another team. Can you add a button that will say something to that effect to show when a player just finished out on a different team? Maybe so it can be "2006-2007 - partial season" or something.

Maybe also an option to view ALL numbers in one giant column so they don't have to go page by page if they don't want to?

Otherwise, this is great!

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Editing a few numbers I have run into a bit of a problem. It is kind of weird having "2007" for the year a number was worn for those players who were traded and finished the season on another team. Can you add a button that will say something to that effect to show when a player just finished out on a different team? Maybe so it can be "2006-2007 - partial season" or something.

Maybe also an option to view ALL numbers in one giant column so they don't have to go page by page if they don't want to?

Otherwise, this is great!

The first one is taken care of, if the first date and the second date are the same it just shows it once. So 2007 - 2007 becomes just 2007.

The second I'll look into. Yes, I can do it, I just need to think of the best way to code it. It causes long loading times and can be a bit messy (though it's actually easier than having pages).

Am I missing a way to add more than one player or number at a time? Adding players that aren't in the database is kind of tedious. If there were a way to do more than one at a time (I'm thinking photobucket-ish) it would make things go a lot faster, at least on the user end.

Am I missing a way to add more than one player or number at a time? Adding players that aren't in the database is kind of tedious. If there were a way to do more than one at a time (I'm thinking photobucket-ish) it would make things go a lot faster, at least on the user end.

Not missing a way, it doesn't exist. I'll add that to the list.

Another cool idea could be to signify retired numbers for teams who have those numbers retired. Either some kind of asterisk or different colour for the number. Also, maybe a way to quickly jump to a number for a specific team instead of having to flip through all the pages to find it.

Sorry... but I am just avoiding my essay and am having fun with this site.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Go Leafs Go!

Another cool idea could be to signify retired numbers for teams who have those numbers retired. Either some kind of asterisk or different colour for the number. Also, maybe a way to quickly jump to a number for a specific team instead of having to flip through all the pages to find it.

I thought about retired numbers but decided against it. Specifically because of how the Maple Leafs do both retired and hono(u)red numbers and not wanting to have to deal with multiple classifications and then what about the Wings with #6 and #16 (and #2?) and all that.

The way to jump straight to a number for each team is in phase two, if phase one proves to be successful.

I thought about retired numbers but decided against it. Specifically because of how the Maple Leafs do both retired and hono(u)red numbers and not wanting to have to deal with multiple classifications and then what about the Wings with #16 and #16 (and #2?) and all that.

The way to jump straight to a number for each team is in phase two, if phase one proves to be successful.

I hope it proves to be successful, it is a fantastic idea and is pretty well executed.

I guess you can try to get on board with both Hockeydb.com and nhluniforms.com in order to help get the name out there and maybe use some of their resources too (maybe see if Hockeydb wants a MUCH needed site redesign?). This has a lot of potential and you have NO IDEA how many times I have been looking for jersey numbers from specific years or whatnot and not being able to find them.

I wish you the best of luck!

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Go Leafs Go!

I probably could have posted this in a bunch of the forums here but I'm saying this one makes the most sense and going with it.

After months of Chris nagging me about this idea, a few weeks ago I finally gave in and started building a site to chronicle all of the sweater numbers that every hockey player of note has worn throughout his career. The result is a new site, HockeySweaterNumbers.com.

I wanted to announce the launch around the NHL trade deadline but it just didn't happen that way.

The data is very incomplete and is available from other places but what makes this site unique are two things. Not only can the data be browsed not by number but by team and player as well. Additionally, all of the data is user-editable.

If you see something wrong, you're free to change it, like a wiki.

I'm hoping people will take a look around, have some fun with it, help me find out what's broken, and maybe it'll become a solid resource. For now you can call it a beta (though I hate version numbers for websites, but that's a debate for another day and forum).

Thanks.

:spam: :spam: :spam:

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Archived