Political postcards - some of my most recent work

STL FANATIC

I don't post work too much anymore, but I feel compelled to post these because it's an issue I actually care about.

Our most recent class project was to pick and issue, research it, and then design three 5x7 (or 7x5) postcards dealing with it.

Lots of issues were raised--global warming, racism, etc.--but while I care about those type of things, I don't have a great passion for them...and what I realized was that it's because there's always the two sides to these issues. The republican side and the democrat side. And I desperately don't want to identify with either one.

So that became my issue--the ineffectiveness of the two party system.

I'm only including two because I don't care much for my third one.

postcard_dumboass.jpg

postcard_animals.jpg

One important note is that one of the postcards had to be a photo montage of sorts, so that's why the second one uses various found images.

Our class voted on the top 10 (ended up being 11 due to a tie), and the first one of mine made it. Those 11 are getting sent to the Center for the Study of Political Graphics in LA.

I'm kinda sorta thinking about looking into actually printing a bunch of these and mailing them out. I dunno.

My thoughts on the issue right now are that the sad truth is a vote for a third party or independent candidate IS a waste of a vote. So it's silly to just vote third and think you're making a difference. For this election and probably the next few I'll vote within the two party system so I have a say.

But ideally I'll be working outside of that to raise the image of these other parties and make it so that a vote for them is no longer a waste of a vote. I'm not sure it will actually come to that for me, but I'd like it if it did.

Anyways, what's everyone's thoughts on these and the issue in general?

I know PCGD has a nice little signature advocating third parties and telling the current dominant two to "Quit Screwing America".

Oh, I should also note my main source of inspiration stems from the "We Need More Party Animals" poster by Tomi Porostocky. He along with Ed McKirdy have started MorePartyAnimals.com.

Personally I think you're throwing your vote away if you vote within the two party system and don't support their ideals. You're vote should represent your views. If you're views align with the Green party...vote for Nader. If they align with libertarians, vote for whomever they nominate (which I'll be doing in my Red State of Indiana and did in my Blue State of Illinois last time around)

If the democrats or republicans truly line up with your thoughts, I think you should vote for them no question. But I personally feel if most people took a look at it carefully and were open to the idea, they'd find out that their views line up with a third party much more so than either one of the big two. For example, I think most 20 somethings are libertarians. Just hearing what they think and their issues it seems to me that's the party for people of that age group (for the most part, not a rule of course) But we've been pounded with "NOT BUSH" for so long that all that anyone my age knows is that they aren't Republican.

Saying that, both these look great. Big fan of the message and the work. Top notch!

I don't think your political message is tedious and as simplistic as that which you rail against, but there's no denying the quality of your work. It looks great. I especially like the animal postcard, but might it look better if all of the animals were American? The colors, bright sun, and centrally located giraffe and lion seem to suggest an African vista, but all of the other animals are form other parts of the world.

But, of course, elephants aren't natively American either, so whatever. Nice work.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

i dont think that really is a political message.

no particular third party is mentioned?

simply telling people to not vote for the two big parties (without any explanation as to why they shouldnt)

strikes me as a vacuous message for any sort of campaign.

what is the message? where is the information?

its like saying 'dont buy coke or pepsi, by something else'.

why? what else? why the something else?

america is not just dumbo and an ass..... well what else is it?

its not that i think you dont have good reasons for voting for a third party or that people should not for any reason.

its just that you offer no reason for them to do so. and there are many to choose from.

i agree with the sentiments, but unfortunately america IS a two party system, at least for the foreseeable future. Get a serious candidate other than Ralph Nader to run on a ticket not with the Dems or the Reps and you may see some change, but right now all the political equity is tied up in those two parties. Any candidate who wants to affect serious change goes to one of those parties, so it's an unfortunate situation.

But I digress.

Great looking postcard - that first one is really nice.

OD_Signature.jpg

i agree with the sentiments, but unfortunately america IS a two party system, at least for the foreseeable future. Get a serious candidate other than Ralph Nader to run on a ticket not with the Dems or the Reps and you may see some change, but right now all the political equity is tied up in those two parties. Any candidate who wants to affect serious change goes to one of those parties, so it's an unfortunate situation.

But I digress.

no, my point is that all the third parties are different. each with specific political ideology.

saying vote for (any) one of them rather than the reps or dems isnt making any point at all.

as there is no argument being made.

its as arbitrary a statement as saying 'turn left, not right'.

the uk is pretty much a two party country (although the liberal middle have a small but significant following).

but to say vote for a 'third' party rather than labour or the conservatives is ridiculous. you would be

bundling the british national party (fascists) / greenpeace / the scottish national party into one 'alternative'

to the two conventional parties without giving any reason for voting for any of them?

But I digress.

no, my point is that all the third parties are different. each with specific political ideology.

saying vote for (any) one of them rather than the reps or dems isnt making any point at all.

as there is no argument being made.

its as arbitrary a statement as saying 'turn left, not right'.

the uk is pretty much a two party country (although the liberal middle have a small but significant following).

but to say vote for a 'third' party rather than labour or the conservatives is ridiculous. you would be

bundling the british national party (fascists) / greenpeace / the scottish national party into one 'alternative'

to the two conventional parties without giving any reason for voting for any of them?

What I got out of it is this: If you don't agree with the ideologies of the Big Two parties, then search out the party that you do agree with and vote for them. There's room for interpretation in these designs and I like to think they cater to those individuals that are capable of formulating their own opinions and doing the research to find the candidate that bests suits them. If I'm wrong, I'm sure Justin will let me know, but as the "recipient" of these cards, they made me think a bit about how I will vote and whether who I decide to vote for fits my set of ideologies.

The point is to think, to search inside yourself, not to make your choice for you. Generally, that's a good thing.

You're right Davidson, but it's a limit of the medium and assignment, not my views or thought process.

It's an exaggeration to show the Donkey and Elephant as dead. I don't for a second mean to suggest they both go away and stop receiving votes.

But this is a postcard, something someone would get in the mail and probably not glance at for too long, especially if it bored them with text or dull images. And whether you subscribe to that or not, that's how our professors felt and critiqued on that, so I was steered away from being information heavy. I happen to agree with them for the most part though.

Like I said, you're concerns are correct, though.

If I were to make some sort of serious push using my artwork, I'd also be likely to include information filled posters and maybe a website--media that I could include the information you note is necessary.

For the postcards I needed to be bold and catchy. And I think even as they are now they're still effective advocating for other options.

You should note that I didn't tell anybody how to vote. I only asked that they'd support third parties and independents. I guess that does imply supporting them for your vote, but I just want these candidates to have a chance so we have greater options.

But again, I see your point, and realize that if I were to take this to campaign level, more materials with more information would be necessary.

Thanks for the comments so far everyone.

What I got out of it is this: If you don't agree with the ideologies of the Big Two parties, then search out the party that you do agree with and vote for them. There's room for interpretation in these designs and I like to think they cater to those individuals that are capable of formulating their own opinions and doing the research to find the candidate that bests suits them. If I'm wrong, I'm sure Justin will let me know, but as the "recipient" of these cards, they made me think a bit about how I will vote and whether who I decide to vote for fits my set of ideologies.

The point is to think, to search inside yourself, not to make your choice for you. Generally, that's a good thing.

You've got it, Joel. I wrote a short research paper on the issue prior to making these, so there is some information (and some opinion) to be added to such a campaign.

But this is exactly what I was hoping could be read from the simple, not-so-information-filled nature of these postcards.

Its always been my point to explore third parties more. The simplist way of doing that is to just say "Vote Third" or "Support third Parties"

I've always said, by all means, if the Republicrats are the party for you, vote for them. But if you just vote for Obama because he's not Bush, I don't think you put very much thought into the process.

Its always been my point to explore third parties more. The simplist way of doing that is to just say "Vote Third" or "Support third Parties"

I've always said, by all means, if the Republicrats are the party for you, vote for them. But if you just vote for Obama because he's not Bush, I don't think you put very much thought into the process.

But reverse that. Don't vote for "Republicrats" because they're "Republicrats." How are you saying anything different?

I think the big takeaway is that political philosophy can't and shouldn't be summed up in pithy slogans.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived