Chipper Jones belts 400th homer

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=280605115

Chipper Jones smashed a blow off the Florida Marlins to jump into the 400 home run club, and becomes only the 3rd switch hitter ever to accomplish the feat, following hall of famers Mickey Mantle (536 career HR) and Eddie Murray (504 career HR). Given the elite class he's in right now, he's a hall of famer for sure. Well, i'd say he's a hall or famer but alot of people would think he needs just a little more time and stats in order to do so. Thoughts?

Oh BTW, Chipper raised his average to .418 that game, staying atop the league in BA. Wow is all I can say.

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

Chipper Jones smashed a blow off the Florida Marlins to jump into the 400 home run club, and becomes only the 3rd switch hitter ever to accomplish the feat, following hall of famers Mickey Mantle (536 career HR) and Eddie Murray (504 career HR). Given the elite class he's in right now, he's a hall of famer for sure. Well, i'd say he's a hall or famer but alot of people would think he needs just a little more time and stats in order to do so. Thoughts?

Oh BTW, Chipper raised his average to .418 that game, staying atop the league in BA. Wow is all I can say.

Yeah I'd say he's a hall of famer. His power numbers aren't that great when compared to the other players of his era but you have to take into account that he played the majority of his career in the steroid era. When you look at him from that perspective his numbers suddenly look pretty damn good. I think he was clean in a dirty era and the voters will certainly see it that way too. If you ask me, Chipper's a lock for Cooperstown. Plus he's not done yet. He may end up in the 500 club.

BB52Big.jpg

Umm, how can you give Larry a thread for his 400th HR and not give Manny one for crushing #500? :blink:

Switch hitter or not, Ramirez has had the better career of the two.

6uXNWAo.png

Umm, how can you give Larry a thread for his 400th HR and not give Manny one for crushing #500? :blink:

No question. Manny is the best right handed hitter I've ever seen.

BB52Big.jpg

No question. Manny is the best right handed hitter I've ever seen.

Because I already figured it was covered. Simple as that.

Yes, I agree with Infrared. Even though i'm only 16 and I havent seen as many hitters as most on this board, i'd say with full confidence that Manny is THE best right handed hitter ive ever seen.

Get this: Of all the members of the 500 HR club, Manny has the fourth highest career batting .avg (.313) - and this is behind Ted Williams, Babe Ruth, and Jimmie Foxx. Boy, when your tossed into a class like that, then you've had a heck of a career. Cooperstown for Manny, all the way.

Now, back on topic, any more thoughts on Chipper?

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

Archived