Jim McKay Dies

NoHoJoe

Legendary ABC Sportscaster Jim McKay has died after a long illness. He was 86.

Thank You for saying"The Thrill Of Victory and The Agony Of Defeat" so pleasing to millions of American Sports fans!

:cry:

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I met Mr. McKay years ago one fall at a convenience store (High's on York Rd in Monkton). I asked him if he and his wife had any horses I should keep my eye out for, we ended up taking for a bit. Long enough that we both finished our drinks. I told him I was sorry I kept him, from what ever he was doing. And went back in and bought him another. I came back out he thanked me, and said he I was just keeping him from helping clean the stalls. I just laughed. Thanked him for his time and drove away. He was the face of the Olympics in the US, then the Triple Crown on ABC. When ever we heard his voice we knew it was going to be a special event, but after that day, I always thought back to that day. He could have been a stuck up rich SOB, but he was just a regular guy. Rest in Peace, Jim.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

He could have been a stuck up rich SOB, but he was just a regular guy. Rest in Peace, Jim.

Sadly, he was far from wealthy, if his HBO biography was anywhere near accurate. At least, not nearly as wealthy as you'd think him to be.

Well wealth is relative. He has a modest but large home, it is not gated, and right on the road. Hell he even had McManus on his mailbox. I would assume that the house was pre civil war, and looks to have 50+ acres or more in a very expensive area of Baltimore County. Now I don't know exactly his finances, but I am sure they are in good shape. You can't have a thoroughbred horse farm, and not be a little wealthy. I just meant that fame can wealth can cause people to change. He was just a nice guy, a genuine person.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

With Jim McKay being a long-time Baltimore/Maryland resident, the Baltimore Sun had a very long article about him in Sunday's edition (link below). It is worth a read just to see how much he did during the course of his career. I have to admit that I found my eyes getting a little moist as I got to the end of it (probably just allergies or something).

R.I.P., Jim.

Baltimore Sun -- Jim McKay

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived