Champ Bailey for Clinton Portis?

See Red

Clinton Portis for Champ Bailey/2nd round pick

With the Broncos being my home team -- and my 2nd favorite, at that -- I pray to god that this trade goes down. I would LOVE to see...

bailey.gif

Hell, I'd buy it. And it's not as though the Broncos can't replace Portis -- they pull 1,500 yard RB's out of their ass, here in Denver

The 2nd round draft pick is probably what's keeping this from happening.

IUe6Hvh.png

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this will be an incrediblly bad trade for the Broncos Running Backs like Portis dont come along everyday and even though the Broncos have a nack of finding good runners lately you dont want to tempt fate and leave the offense in the hands of Jake Plummer. The snake is not that good, and left to handle things on his own the Broncos will falter.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

As a Broncos fan, I'm a little worried about this. I'm kinda wondering why, after Portis' huge season, they would consider this. I mean, sure he's replaceable, but how guaranteed are you to find someone of Terrell Davis or Clinton Portis' caliber just like that? You just don't give up 1500 yards and 15 touchdowns for a cornerback. That seems so wrong to me.

oh i hope this happens! That way the Chiefs don't have to face his ass twice a year. Him and his ignorant Rasslin' title belt. But then it gives Denver a pro bowl CB. Flip a coin on how much that will effect the team. You just don't see this happen too much in the No Fun League. I hope if this goes through it paves the way for more TRADES! :kungfu:

I agree with Nitroseed. Something doesn't seeem to be right. You make a trade to get better. I'm guessing the Broncos need a CB after the Peyton Manning lit them up in the AFC Wild Card Game this past season. Plus Joe Gibbs needs a RB in DC since Spurrier let go of Davis to Carolina. I wonder if Portis has recovered from the injury late in the season and if not, this is their way of getting him out of here as damaged goods, although he would need to pass a physical to move him to the Redskins.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Remember, Portis has been threatening a holdout.

True but the Broncos can head that off by giving him a raise he is one of the lowest paid RBS in teh league I dont think he will be to greedy.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I know i will personally come unglued if my franchise RB becomes a deadskin.ARRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :evil::cursing:

Say it aint so ethel

Kings Cross AFC -BIP, Winnipeg Falcons - TNFF, St. Louis Archers - MLF

People, people, people. Am I the only one here who agrees with this trade?

As a fan of the Denver Broncos franchise, I think this will be 2nd only to John Elway from Indianapolis in terms of greatest trades in the franchises history.

First off, Mike Anderson would be a fully capable replacement, and look beyond Mike Anderson -- people who played at Oklahoma with Quentin Griffin have said that he's the closest thing to Barry Sanders you will ever find. He's capable as he played most, if not all, of his college career on natural grass. So that one great game of his this year wasn't just because of the astroturf -- And he had a damn successful college career as he was, at one point, a Rose Bowl MVP.

True, I don't think Portis is asking for too much in terms of a better contract. He deserves it. He put up the best numbers in the league, in the amount of games he played. He was unhuman all season. But Terrell Davis was unhuman too, and we replaced him. Then his replacement looked to be unhuman too. Then he got hurt and the Broncos have replaced him. And then Mike Anderson looked like a top NFL RB. He got hurt and now he's stuck at FB because they replaced him.

Mike Shanahan and that staff knows RB's. They've said that they think Quentin Griffin can be a 1,500 yard rusher and you know what? I can't help but believe. I just can't believe the sentiment is not the same in Denver -- with fans KNOWING that this coach KNOWS RB's. This has been the best system for RB's and you KNOW that the defense will be a bigger problem WITHOUT Champ Bailey than the offense will be WITHOUT Clinton Portis just because of who's their to replace him.

Does anyone else in the Denver area get sick of seeing an article about how Clinton Portis was done wrong during college -- done wrong during the draft -- and all that crap? And how he's out to prove something? Wow, Clinton Portis. You weren't a first rounder -- just like you weren't when they had a similar story in weeks 1 - 16. But hey, Terrell Davis went 6th round and you NEVER heard him mention that. Terrell Davis entered camp as the #6 RB -- not the #2 or #3 RB. And Terrell Davis was done a far greater injustice in college when his coach talked bad about him to NFL scouts causing him to plummet in the draft.

Now what do the Broncos get in return?

They get a man who is, by most NFL Wide Recievers, regarded as the best shut down CB in the game. a 4 time pro bowler who's only 25 -- and easily the best at his position. Champ Bailey is definetely worth it -- Plus we may get a 2nd round pick out of it.

How can that be a bad trade?!

IUe6Hvh.png

As a Broncos fan, I'm a little worried about this. I'm kinda wondering why, after Portis' huge season, they would consider this. I mean, sure he's replaceable, but how guaranteed are you to find someone of Terrell Davis or Clinton Portis' caliber just like that? You just don't give up 1500 yards and 15 touchdowns for a cornerback. That seems so wrong to me.

Nitro, I thought you liked the Jaguars?

duke-white-sm.gifcavs2-sm.gifyankees2-sm.gifga-sm.gif

duke.gif

brownsSig.gif

I did, yes?past tense. However, I've been absolutely disgusted with the way the team has been run since Jack Del Rio came aboard.

I was furious at how Mark Brunell was treated in his last season in Jacksonville, and I will never forgive JDR or his administration for that. And hearing that the team had interest in Me-shawn Johnson was the last straw for me. That speaks volumes to me that the team no longer cares about cohesion or chemistry?they only want players who they think can perform, regardless of attitude, which I don't believe in. JDR's attitude of winning at any cost makes me sick. It showed all of last season in the way that he dumped several of the Jags veteran players after one game in which they made a mistake. It also showed during some of JDR's interviews when he expressed how, after a few initial losses, he "wanted to win so bad." Good coaches don't whine about losing to the press; they do their jobs and whip their teams into shape. I came to a point last season when I just could not force myself to watch the Jags. It simply was not entertaining for me in the least.

There are many more reasons, but long-story-short (too late), that's part of it.

The Broncos have always been my second favorite team, so I decided to dump the Jaguars and sway in favor of the Broncos.

I think it would be good for Denver no doubt,i just have a dislike for Washington rivaled by only my dislike for the Bears.So seein one of the guys that took me to the MLF title possibly goin to Washington sickens me thats all :D

Kings Cross AFC -BIP, Winnipeg Falcons - TNFF, St. Louis Archers - MLF

I think the Broncs are banking on the belief they can turn any running back into a star...

They nailed it on PTI...forgot if it was LeBatard or Wilbon, but someone said (I'm paraphrasing) "There are more RB's like Portis out there than there are CB's like Bailey"

Considering everyone argued that "defense wins championships" -- I really don't see how people can frown upon this. Despite, as we all know, whether you like to admit it or not, the saying "defense wins championships" is false.

Portis is easier to replace for the Broncos than to get a new CB. In fact, Portis is far easier to replace.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived