The Brewers use my graphic

Gothamite

I was going to subtitle this "here's why you watermark," but I don't really care that they used it. I just wish they hadn't used a preliminary version.

Something interesting happened to me a couple weeks ago - the Brewers started using one of my graphics, but the wrong one!

Backstory: I've always loved the old Beer Barrel Man logo, because of its roots in Milwaukee baseball. A couple years ago, I even created a crude website about the logo's history, and updated the 1970 rendering to fit the times:

2689287114_3720248c94.jpg

So, last month the Brewers gave out a promotional bobblehead featuring the Beer Barrel Man, and on the box they used my old graphic!

2679873433_b0a7813161_o.jpg

I know it's mine because - and I'm embarrassed about this - I put the stirrups on backwards. Paul Lukas would be so disappointed....

Anyway, I corrected the problem in a final version - hopefully the team will notice. I think he'd make a great sleeve patch.

2688526073_5d3dbb13e0_o.jpg

you aren't a little upset that they took this work (although their idea in part) and will be gaining a huge profit from it while you sit and watch without receiving a dime?

edit: nevermind, i see you more or less did a re-color to bring it up to date.

you aren't a little upset that they took this work (although their idea in part) and will be gaining a huge profit from it while you sit and watch without receiving a dime?

edit: nevermind, i see you more or less did a re-color to bring it up to date.

No, I don't mind. Not my logo - never was.

The first one was little more than a re-color (although I updated his socks, replacing the 1940s color hoops with stirrups). But the amount of work isn't really the point - for the later one I also changed the shape of the bat and put the tap elements - nose and back of the head - in alignment.

But still, the logo belongs to the team. I chose to spend some time playing with their toys, and can't complain if they like what I did with it.

Truth be told, I'm flattered. I only wish they'd use my better work. :D

Wow that looks really good man. I think if they replaced thier current sleeve patch with this, that would really be something. I like it alot man, great work. Too bad theyre not giving you credit for thier usage of it though. despite the fact it wasnt youre logo it was still youre update and you put the time into doing it so I think they still should have given you something.

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

Well, that's the Internet.

They might not have known that it wasn't an original team logo, never mind who did it, once it got passed around enough. That's why I watermarked the later ones - so people know where to find me, not because I'm trying to stake some sort of claim.

Very cool. You oughta get one of those bobbleheads out of it. I'm sure they have extras lying around for VIPs, season ticket holders, etc. You probably qualify based on your "contribution." Can't hurt to ask... just to get the box, if nothing else. Always cool to see your work in action.

Wouldn't a more appropriate headline be "I used the Brewers graphic"?

I get that it's not cool that they apparently found something on the internet and decided to lift it off of your site, but wouldn't you be subjecting yourself to potential trouble by making a big deal out of it (though I realize that you didn't do the recolor for any commercial purpose)?

Just askin'...

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I don't know that this thread would really be "making a big deal of it."

No, of course not. I meant if you decided to pursue it either legally or even with some angry calls (hypothetically.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Brewers used my site's terrible version of the 1982 World Series logo in their team history section sometime back -- not sure if they upgraded when I did or not.

Don't know - they had a decent one in the print Media Guide.

Here it is... yuck.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Wow. That's awful.

They use a better one here (p 368).

LOL - first page of the all-time roster in that link. Second column, first name.

Anyway, I corrected the problem in a final version - hopefully the team will notice. I think he'd make a great sleeve patch.

2688526073_5d3dbb13e0_o.jpg

It would make a great sleeve patch, except the shoes need to go back to blue.

Reminds me of the Brew Crew's "Turn Ahead the Clock" caps. The only truly beautiful thing to come out of the whole TATC moment. Maybe the Brewers could bring back the beer-barrel-man caps for the tenth anniversary of TATC next year. Using Gotham's improved version, of course.

20082614447.png

Okay, I can see blue shoes, if only because the Brewers have never used black, even as a secondary logo color.

Best case, I was hoping for something along the lines of the Padres' Swinging Friar patch, used only on their blue alternates. Caps would be cool.

While I hate them as primaries, I love mascot caps as alternates. If the Cardinals can wear this:

pMLB2-1484909t130.gif

then surely the Brewers can wear this with their alt blues:

2692266907_01b011d9b5_o.jpg

While I hate them as primaries, I love mascot caps as alternates. If the Cardinals can wear this:

pMLB2-1484909t130.gif

then surely the Brewers can wear this with their alt blues:

2692266907_01b011d9b5_o.jpg

Add the Braves tomahawk alt caps to the list. That Brewers cap would be freakin' awesome, especially if it replaces the ball-in-glove alternate. (The author ducks.)

I've been working for like a year to create alternate mascot cap concepts for the Nats, using each of the Racing Presidents. It would be the perfect way for the Lerners to phase out the DC caps, and possibly add a road alternate too. This kind of thing is what "alternate" uniforms should be about, not just wearing a solid-color jersey instead of white.

20082614447.png

Archived