David Baker resigns as AFL commish

Tannerman

Given the timing the day before the ArenaBowl, and coming out of the board meetings, there is obviously more going on here than meets the eye...

AFL Commissioner Resigns; Deputy Policy Takes Over

New York, N.Y. (AHN) - Arena Football League (AFL) commissioner David Baker decided to step down from his post Friday, two days before the ArenaBowl championship game between defending champion San Jose and Philadelphia in New Orleans.

The 55-year-old Baker, who assumed the position of commissioner 12 years ago, told the board of directors of his intention to resign saying it was "time."

Under Baker's watch, the Arena league franchise then valued at $300,000 achieved phenomenal growth increasing its revenues substantially, enticing ESPN to invest as part time owner.

Since then the AFL has had 17 expansion teams, some either relocated or closed shop. Today, an expansion team is expected to cost at least $20 million.

Aside from the increase in attendance, the league's TV ratings shot up to a high 58 percent during this year's playoffs.

The Arena Bowl is slated Sunday featuring the defending champion San Jose SaberCats and the Philadelphia Soul.

Last year, Baker was rewarded with a contract extension by the league. His decision to step down ends a productive 12-year tenure.

Deputy Commissioner Ed Policy is expected to take over while a committee decides on Baker's replacement.

Source

Good.

...well, until John Elway gets his grubby little mitts on it.

Please no, that will be the end of the NF.....Er I a I mean AFL as we know it. "First order of business lets lengthen the field to 100 feet, no one will know the difference" -John Elway if he becomes commissioner

Please no, that will be the end of the NF.....Er I a I mean AFL as we know it. "First order of business lets lengthen the field to 100 yards, no one will know the difference" -John Elway if he becomes commissioner

Fixed.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Well, I'm concerned.

And not because of the NFL Lite crew.

The last time something like this happened, the league in question folded a couple of weeks later.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Something in that article caught my attention: 17 expansion teams during Baker's tenure as Commissioner.

Now, knowing that when he took the position franchises were going for $400K apiece and today they allegedly fetch $20M, let's say for sake of argument that the average expansion franchise during his tenure has required - conservatively - an $8 million investment per club.

That works out to $136,000,000 placed in the hands of the other owners without selling a ticket, without reaching a radio deal in their local market, without network television money, etc., etc.

And franchises are folding/relocating on an almost annual basis. Wow. Knowing what I know about franchise operations, the AFL's CBA and business practices, how is that even remotely possible save GROSS mismanagement on the part of literally hundreds of people league-wide?

Baker will go down in the annals as a decent AFL commissioner, but if you ask me, all he managed to do was pump up the overall revenues of the league while at the same time leaving it in just an unstable a position as when he came in. Expanding league-wide revenue is great. Expanding the cost of expansion franchise, also great. But doing so while having franchise after franchise come and go, or come, relocate, rebrand, then go, is simply bad business practice.

nav-logo.png

Archived