IOC: No federation badges on the shirts

Frankie

Yeah you are right on Great Britain not competing in the Olympic soccer events. Recently at the Euro under-21's I think, they had to have a playoff because I believe it is the top 3 or 4 from UEFA that get spots into the Olympics and England occupied one of those spots, so a playoff had to happen to determine who would take England's place in the Olympics.

Great Britain has never entered the Olympic football competition because of the potential threat to England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland's representation in FIFA and UEFA competitions.

This arrangement arose from the fact that Briton's invented the game - along with just about every other individual and team sport. :D

Bring on the Lions of soccer then...Although pending on who you have as a coach, the same problem might come up as did with the 2005 British and Irish Lions Rugby team that toured New Zealand. Most of the team was made up from the England World Cup team that won because they had the England coach. And look how well that worked out. I think there was 2 Scots on the team, a few Irish and a few Welsh players. Wasn't much of a Lions team at all.

Rest assured that if this continues, Nike, Adidas, Reebok, Puma, Atletica and all the other manufacturers will be tinkering with how to represent these great teams in 2010 and 2012. Nike's USA font has looked really good and although most all the teams are wearing the same template, they are doing things ot make them look unique, much like the old ice hockey olympic days with Straka or whatever. I would write this off as a China thing. Alot of things are going on that make people scratch their heads and no one is really acting on it.

Bring on the Lions of soccer then...Although pending on who you have as a coach, the same problem might come up as did with the 2005 British and Irish Lions Rugby team that toured New Zealand. Most of the team was made up from the England World Cup team that won because they had the England coach. And look how well that worked out. I think there was 2 Scots on the team, a few Irish and a few Welsh players. Wasn't much of a Lions team at all.

They should have representation based on population. If England accounts for 70% of UK population they should get 70% representation on the Great Britain Olympic soccer team. Same goes for Scotland, No. Ireland and Wales.

They should have representation based on population. If England accounts for 70% of UK population they should get 70% representation on the Great Britain Olympic soccer team. Same goes for Scotland, No. Ireland and Wales.

Not if they actually want to win anything.

I can see a certain number of guaranteed roster slots, having coaches representing each national FA, but not a player quota.

Archived