IOC: No federation badges on the shirts

Frankie

This topic was addressed in another thread, but the anxiety over this hasn't seemingly affected most people on this forum.

What do you guys think about the IOC essentially telling teams that they can't have the sports logos of the federations (eg: soccer logos of the countries) on their respective uniforms? Brazil and Argentina played their first soccer games with their traditional crests on their jerseys, but were told by the IOC to take them off. If you've seen other countries, they have either covered up their logo, or added the Olympic Committee Logo from their respective country, or simply worn nothing (as was the case with the American soccer teams). In other sports as well (basketball I think), the federation logos have been stripped off, and it seems like the IOC wants every uniform to only have the name of the country and the logo of the Olympic team (rather than that of individual federations).

I bring this up with great angst, because I am a huge hockey fan, and one of the things that I admire about hockey are the individual crests on the front of all the jerseys... Are you telling me that in Vancouver 2010, Team Canada won't have its logo on the front? Are you telling me that we'll have the Canadian flag on the front instead? I just hope this doesn't happen, and that this only applies to the Summer Games.

Given these new rules by the IOC, I'm surprised that more people here haven't been outraged by this. Am I really the only one who is concerned at this news?!? :cursing:

Juventus.png

Well, I put this way.... who are you representing? your sport federation or your country?

My country never uses sport federation logos on any teams shirts at all, its always the coat of arms, the country logo. I kinda like it that way.

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Given these new rules by the IOC, I'm surprised that more people here haven't been outraged by this. Am I really the only one who is concerned at this news?!? :cursing:

I thought all competitors' apparel had to have the country's Olympic logo on it?

Hockey jerseys are a different creature to soccer shirts - you can have a main logo on a hockey jersey and still have room for the country's Olympic logo on the breast or the shoulder. Soccer shirts really don't allow for multiple logos if you've already got an apparel sponsor and a number on the front.

I thought all competitors' apparel had to have the country's Olympic logo on it?

Hockey jerseys are a different creature to soccer shirts - you can have a main logo on a hockey jersey and still have room for the country's Olympic logo on the breast or the shoulder. Soccer shirts really don't allow for multiple logos if you've already got an apparel sponsor and a number on the front.

As far as I can remember, federation badges have always been on the shirts of the teams, even at the Olympics. That's why Brazil and Argentina were in such an uproar that they had to get rid of the badges. It really is a shame.

Check these out:

r3616741833.jpg

r3975604.jpg

capt.f2e43e3bf9564f9aae9235743f2e20ad.beijing_olympics_soccer_men_oly1051.jpg

Are you kidding me? These teams look like pub teams out there without the badge on their jerseys. This is the first time that this happened, and you can bet that the IOC will want hockey teams to leave out the federation logos in 2010. The games in Vancouver will look like a intersquad practice game, considering that many of the countries have the same colour scheme. What a joke.

Juventus.png

I don't know if they will for 2010. The money involved with fans wanting to buy them is big. There would be a HUGE drop in sales if that was going to happen and I don't think Nike would be too happy about that one. I think Canada's new tops would look pretty dull and boring at the games if they were blank, this is assuming they are using the ones they used at the recent World Champs in Quebec City/Halifax...and imagine how ugly those Swift designs would look if they were blank or had the country flag on it.

I don't know if they will for 2010. The money involved with fans wanting to buy them is big. There would be a HUGE drop in sales if that was going to happen and I don't think Nike would be too happy about that one. I think Canada's new tops would look pretty dull and boring at the games if they were blank, this is assuming they are using the ones they used at the recent World Champs in Quebec City/Halifax...and imagine how ugly those Swift designs would look if they were blank or had the country flag on it.

Or they could mandate just a large country name and/or front number, which would be more likely than a blank front or a flag. Perhaps the Dallas Stars are ahead of the curve on this one.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Either way, it's crap! I think the USA BAsketball crest looks 1000 times better then the flag by itself. I am surprised Nike wouldn't have rolled out soccer jerseys with the USA Olympic logo on them. But the US Soccer crest is 100 times better then the winged star would look. Baseball didn't really change since they have a flag on the sleeve and USA across the chest.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Well, I put this way.... who are you representing? your sport federation or your country?

Who actually makes that distinction, as if they're mutually exclusive? It's implied that when someone is playing for their sport federation that they're representing their country.

Apparently this doesn't apply to baseball, 'cause Canada has been wearing the Baseball Canada logo on its cap all games.

Same thing with USA baseball.

I hope this doesn't extend to hockey as all of the teams use the "federation" logo as a crest.

I'd been wondering about this! Why in the world would the IOC make such a decision? It just makes all the uniforms look too plain and, well, not like the teams they're supposed to represent.

Does this have something to do with Great Britain hosting the 2012 Summer Games, since they do not have a united soccer federaton?

Apparently this doesn't apply to baseball, 'cause Canada has been wearing the Baseball Canada logo on its cap all games.

If you look closely, it's not the Baseball Canada logo; it's close, but not right on.

The Baseball Canada logo is as such:

top_left_corner.gif

The logo the Canadian baseball players have been wearing has the maple leaf and the swoosh-C, but not the baseball. Click here to see what I mean.

It may be kind of a cheap way to skirt around it, but it's definitely not Baseball Canada's logo.

Hockey will have their normal logos on most deffinately because the Olympics uses the IIHF rankings for the Olympics to seed the teams.

Well the IIHF runs the Olympic Tournament. Similarly I believe FIFA runs the Olympic Football/Soccer tournament thus why the age rules.

Which is even more reason why this decision of the IOC is dumb. If you are going to have the organizations, such as FIFA, run the tournaments then their federation logos should be allowed to appear on the uniform.

But manufacturer logos are okay. Those Argentine players aren't representing their national soccer federation, they're representing Argentina. And Adidas.

That makes sense.

Even that doesn't make full sense, since Argentina and other adidas wearing nations were forced to take off the 3 stripes from their jerseys. But apparently, the logo is kosher!

The whole thing is a joke IMO. Just let the countries keep their official uniforms. The IOC has gone the extra yard to help dispel any political debate about the location of the games, but uses its own political power to alter national symbols and tokens. What a shame.

Juventus.png

My country never uses sport federation logos on any teams shirts at all, its always the coat of arms, the country logo. I kinda like it that way.

It's a little off topic, but I always wondered why your country dresses in yellow and green when those colors aren't on your flag.

I don't know, there just our national colours. Holland doens't have orange on their flag nor does new zealand have black. It's just one of those things. Green and gold looks better anyway.

Btw, can't remember who mentioned it, but Great Britain don't participate in Olympic football competitions (I think).

I really don't see it as much of an issue. Why don't you have a Olympic team logo to cover this? I mean, we have a logo and wordmark for all our uniforms, plus a coat of arms.

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Yeah you are right on Great Britain not competing in the Olympic soccer events. Recently at the Euro under-21's I think, they had to have a playoff because I believe it is the top 3 or 4 from UEFA that get spots into the Olympics and England occupied one of those spots, so a playoff had to happen to determine who would take England's place in the Olympics.

Archived