Oklahoma City Thunder concept

McCall

I had done some OKC logo concepts in the past; Drillers, Twisters. Ever since we learned that it would probably be Thunder (since confirmed, as we nightmarishly recall), I've been trying to develop an idea for them. I'm still working on actual logos, but had wordmark and uniforms in mind already, so that's what this is. The wordmark is the same style as my previous Twisters one, but I liked it and figured it worked well, or at least I hope so. The colors were supposed to be maroon and a gold, but it looks more brown and tan. Either way, any combo, the colors were still basically what I thought would work for a team in OKC. Even though I don't have the actual logos done yet, I thought I'd go ahead and post these to kind of guage everyone's opinion on whether or not I'm going in the right direction. Once I have logos ready, I will update the uniforms accordingly. Thanks.

Credit to AAO for the awesome uniform template.

OKC-Thunder-set-Large.png

My biggest problem with this is that the wordmarks would essentially be just one large patch, as opposed to individual letters. It's just personal taste, but I prefer when there is actual jersey material in between the letters. An example of this would be the original Sixers uniforms from '97 - the wordmark was just one big patch, with the letters in gold outlined in black. Then when they updated it, it was still a patch, but the letters were just black with no outline and you could see the jersey mesh in between them. 100% upgrade IMO.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Sorry about posting in this thread, but can anyone help me here.

What do I have to do to start a new thread?

Also when I click on a members name it comes up with an error saying - Sorry, but you do not have permission to use this feature. If you are not logged in, you may do so using the form below if available.

Thanks

Byrnezy

My only beef is that darned color scheme; brown and gold just never seem to go for me; Wyoming told me that a long time ago.....Other than that; it's all good, though I'd suggest some sort of logo on the butt section, instead of script.....

Right now my only problem is the one thing that everyone seems to like. The wordmarks. They seem to be arched slanted lettering. That look never works IMO. Lose the arch or the slanting, or both. IMO they never ever work together. The rest looks okay. My favorite part is the shorts, and how the uniform looks as a whole.

UPDATE: Ok, I took the advice mentioned and re-did the wordmarks. They're now seperate letters and just arched, straight up and down, no slants or anything. I left logos off of the shorts and back of neck, because I'd rather have a logo than just the OKC one, which may still end up being used on one of those 2 parts. Also, I don't know how the colors appeared to everyone else, but when I posted them, on the monitor I'm currently using, the maroon/brown looked very much like lighter straight brown, which is not how it looked on the laptop monitor I did the artwork on. So I've adjusted the colors on here this time so that they should appear more closely to how I intended. Of course, they may appear different to everyone depending on your monitors, so it may only satisfy my viewing of the colors. Kinda tricky to figure out. Oh well, here's the updated:

OKC-Thunder-Set-v02.png

Brown is THE most underrated color in sports. Right now, only one pro team in the major four sports, and a handful of college teams use it. Considering the monotonous blue/black scheme OKC currently has, this is a major improvement. Great job.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Can someone pleeease help me out by showing me how to make the outline around the text like McCall has with his 'Oklahoma City' text in the brown box in his original post! Also how does he get the stroke effect inside the text??

Regards

Byrnezy

The double outline text you use an offset path.

The OKC highlights he did with the pen tool.

Yeah, thick outline is just that, then merge the individual outlines together to make them a solid "background".

However, the "highlights" aren't pen tool. I did a negative offset path, depending on the size of letters and how far you want them off the edge. I then took the letter again (not the inner one created by the negative offset), and do a dropshadow with negative values (-X, -Y) for a distance greater than the negative offset (so that it's not the same distance off the edge of the letter. I make sure the drop shadow is on top of the inner letter, and simply subtract the drop shadow from it. This gives you what's left of the letter, and forms a highlight. You can have them right on the edge of the main letter, or however far in you want. That's the only way to determine how to do the negative offset. Depending on where you want the highlights (bottom right as I have them, upper right, upper left, bottom left) is what would determine the values of the drop shadow.

Clear enough? ^_^

The double outline text you use an offset path.

The OKC highlights he did with the pen tool.

Yeah, thick outline is just that, then merge the individual outlines together to make them a solid "background".

However, the "highlights" aren't pen tool. I did a negative offset path, depending on the size of letters and how far you want them off the edge. I then took the letter again (not the inner one created by the negative offset), and do a dropshadow with negative values (-X, -Y) for a distance greater than the negative offset (so that it's not the same distance off the edge of the letter. I make sure the drop shadow is on top of the inner letter, and simply subtract the drop shadow from it. This gives you what's left of the letter, and forms a highlight. You can have them right on the edge of the main letter, or however far in you want. That's the only way to determine how to do the negative offset. Depending on where you want the highlights (bottom right as I have them, upper right, upper left, bottom left) is what would determine the values of the drop shadow.

Clear enough? ^_^

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!! Sorry guys I'm still only learning Ai. I might have to google a tut on offset paths! Thanks for the replies tho.. very much appreciated! Everyone here so is helpful!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived