Sleeves and the modern football uniform

Ted Cunningham

Not a bad idea....anything that could get us away from this!

Photo-CHovan.jpg

I hate when QB's especially wear long sleeve shirts under their pads and they have actual sleeved jerseys it looks crazy. Jason Campbell is a prime exampell of that but it'd be different if the shirt was the color of the jersey, the eye wouldn't catch it as fast. It'd be even better if his sleeves were cuffed to mask the apperance but Michael Vick used to do the same thing.

Photo-JCampbell3.jpg

And I also hat how Washington and Jacksonville has stripes that cut-off at the top yet wrap around to the bottom.

Photo-JCampbell.jpg

whats being missed here is whether or not a player wants to wear sleeves at all. i imagine they all wear some sort of undershirts, but not sleeves. especially tighter fitting under armour style shirts. if its cold and they wear long sleeves, i dont think it'll read as jersey sleeves, but stripes on a shirt. matching colors also presents a problem because different fabric, although close in color, can reflect light differently. as i said before, im a grey facemask, block numeral, tan pant, card carrying football traditionalist, but this has been a gradual change and it just seems natural to me. i think teams that have sleeve stripes and numbers should move the numbers to the shoulders, giving the stripes more room to expand. personally, the stripes read as stripes. today, they are more of an adornment than a traditional stripe. maybe im an idiot, but this:

apvikings.jpg

trumps this:

Chuck_Foreman-Vikings.jpg

^that's a good point. If teams like the Bears and Redskins would just get over the fascination with having the numbers on the sleeves then they would be able to define the stripes on the sleeves a lot more. I know that would mess with the tradition of their jerseys, but there is simply not enough room anymore to house a thick sleeve stripe, which the Skins used to have, and a number.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Awh, the way it's going they're going to look like Aussie Rules players from the waist up in a few years anyway. I'm sorry to say it, but the only sleeves we're going to see in the future is on the old classic games on the NFL network..

Bring back the Whale!

"Sleeves" will never be completely lost because they still have to cover the shoulder pads, and I don't see those going anytime soon.

Right. I hate to sound like the other side of the tradition/new school argument, but why not go back to full length sweaters? It went from sleeves to the wrist to 3/4 sleeves to elbow and has creeped up to the shoulder. i think Hovan's cut is ridiculous, but to think they're gonna disappear completely is nuts.

It's one thing to want and strive for a decent uniform look, but we shouldn't change back to long sleeves because a few fans long for the good ol' days. I see no problem with reducing excess material for opponents to grab onto. Designers should be able to accommodate both. Hovan's look is god-awful, but he's been around how long? Uniform suppliers should have addressed this already.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

I think that it's possible to accomplish both style points just based on Spearhead's photo. If this was possible back in the day's and with modern technology I think it can and should be done now. I don't like when numbers encroach the sleeve stripes and it's even worse having the Reebok logo there because then it has to get fitted into the stripes like the 49ers' throwbacks. I'm not a fan of letters or logos mixed into stripes anyway to me it looks tacky and out of place. 'GSH', 'AL' and the 49ers and Cowboys throwing their logo ontop it just doesn't fit!

Seriously....how many players tackle by grabbing the jersey anyway? Most of these guys are too scared to do so and want to throw a shoulder in disregarding the basic principals of tackling 101. And even if they do get in 'clean' hits they get fined for it because it's the No Fun League! I don't want to see 1/2 of your man boobs while playing football and I don't care to see laces of your shoulder pads from your plunging non-collared jersey. Dude should just wear a wife beater with his number on it and call it a day!

Photo-CHovan.jpg

There's no way that should be legal. I would rather see a thousand sock violations than see this guy go week after week unpunished. Look a professional for crying out loud. I would love to see one of his game worn jerseys without pads on just to see how it's really cut.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Here's one of the game pix so you can view the sleeves. I am not a fan of the stripe(s).

UtahUtesUniform.jpg

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Archived