Italian soccer strategy gets a racy look

roxfan00

capt.feaddca8cbf64ed581c10e3947d8f83a.italy_soccer_shorts_down_goal_cat101.jpg

ROME (AP)?In the latest fashion statement out of Italy, soccer players are dropping their shorts to score goals.

Catania, a team in the country?s top division, unveiled the new look while taking a free kick. The players lined up in a wall and dropped their shorts in an effort to block the goalkeeper?s vision.

The Sicilian team carried out the maneuver to perfection Sunday. Three players dropped their shorts practically to their knees so Torino goalie Matteo Sereni couldn?t see the kick by Giuseppe Mascara, who scored during Catania?s 3-2 victory.

Catania is coached by Walter Zenga, a former goalkeper on Italy?s national team.

?This is a strategy that Zenga tries continually in training,? Pietro Lo Monaco, the club?s chief executive, told RAI state radio Monday.

Former referees coordinator Paolo Casarin called the move ?unsportsmanlike and in bad taste.?

?It?s a trick that should not be tolerated anymore by the referees,? he said.

Lo Monaco replied: ?A trick? I wouldn?t say so. It?s up to the referee to decide if it should be penalized, otherwise I don?t see where the problem is. ? Good taste is relative.?

Yahoo Sports

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

That is literally the dirtiest tactic in the game. Showing your ass to the other team as a distraction?! Wow.

But considering the bad reputation for Serie A...I think I have a new favorite team in Serie A. :lol:

If they wore pants like basketball players then they wouldnt need to drop shorts to block the goalies view.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

That is literally the dirtiest tactic in the game. Showing your ass to the other team as a distraction?! Wow.

But considering the bad reputation for Serie A...I think I have a new favorite team in Serie A. :lol:

Actually, the genius of this strategy goes alot farther than just showing your hiney. When the players line up and drop their shorts to their knees, it creates a makeshift curtain, which blockes the goalie view of the stationary ball. Imagine a bed skirt hiding the garbage under your bed... it's the same idea...

To be honest, I don't think it's that big of a deal. The keeper can still see the shooter, and then see when he is running up to kick it. It just prevents him from getting a glimpse of the ball for a split second longer... It actually may be more distracting for the shooter, seeing your teammates junk as you try to concentrate...

Its a yellow card offence. If players can be cautioned for having their shirts untucked (it still happens) they can be for dropping their shorts.

liverpool-1.png

Actually, the genius of this strategy goes alot farther than just showing your hiney. When the players line up and drop their shorts to their knees, it creates a makeshift curtain, which blockes the goalie view of the stationary ball. Imagine a bed skirt hiding the garbage under your bed... it's the same idea...

To be honest, I don't think it's that big of a deal. The keeper can still see the shooter, and then see when he is running up to kick it. It just prevents him from getting a glimpse of the ball for a split second longer... It actually may be more distracting for the shooter, seeing your teammates junk as you try to concentrate...

:lol:

It's hilarious but genius. That split second is obviously enough of a distraction. I saw video if it, and Torino's goalie was LIVID. I haven't seen a keeper that mad in a long time.

Archived