Colorado Rockies

McCall

No thanks, their current set is much better.

Care to elaborate? I fail to see how their boring logo and serif font with an inset path is better than this.

umm lets see.... the mountain actually looks like a mountain not a folded piece of paper. The font is trying to hard to be ultra modern and the the CR looks about 1000 times more classy than these do.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Life-long (or at least since '93) Rockies fan here, and I have to say that this is an AWESOME set. Thoughts...

I think that, on the primary logo, the word "ROCKIES" should be in white. It looks a lot better on a dark color, which is where it'd be presented most often (since I doubt that the primary logo would be used on a jersey or anything). I also think that, since you have it outlined in grey/silver and black, having a dark color like purple sinks it in too much - the white pops more, and is much more noticeable. Also, since the mountain is already in purple, I don't think that the word needs to be purple either.

I LOVE the new wordmark. It's simple enough of an update to not be overbearing, but it's very very needed. The current serifed design is classy (as the poster above me said), but dated. The team doesn't use it anywhere anyway - all of the advertising uses a boring lower-case font that looks like a variation of Arial, and is very blocky. At least your version would lend itself to advertising, since it'd be recognizable.

I can't wait to see an interlocking CR logo and some uni sets.

Oh, and MG said that these are 1038.9% better than what they have now. I'd say it's 5280% better :) .

2011 Colorado Rockies | Season from Hell

sig_11.png

Care to elaborate? I fail to see how their boring logo and serif font with an inset path is better than this.

umm lets see.... the mountain actually looks like a mountain not a folded piece of paper. The font is trying to hard to be ultra modern and the the CR looks about 1000 times more classy than these do.

Well, he's just trying to fit in with all the other cool fonts. You remember what it's like to be in high school, right?

First of all, McCall's typeface choice reflects the Western culture of the Rocky Mountain region, and the current typeface is completely dated. The rendering of the mountain is an improvement over the current, which looks like a flat piece of paper, colored in with a baseball slapped over the top. McCall's logo has an attitude, while the current logo doesn't say much of anything. I could see the font looking kind of like the Angels, but is that such a bad thing? No, not at all. Overall, every aspect of McCall's concept is an improvement. The one critique I would give is that some of your letter spacing is off ,like slapshot suggested.

Here is the wordmark, with both Colorado and Rockies, on the team color backgrounds.

Rockies-Wordmarks.png

And here's variations for on black, because I couldn't decide which I preferred. I actually like the purple outlined in silver then white, but didn't know how well it would actually look on a black jersey, so I did these as other options.

Rockies-Wordmark-on-Black.png

I think you need the double outlines (or at least a thicker outline) around both wordmarks to reduce some of the letterspacing. The spaces between the R and A of Colorado and K and I of Rockies draw my eye. Those letters really need to be spaced tighter together. Maybe even fuse the two in each set to each other to make the wordmark a bit more custom.

I do in fact have double outlining around all letters in both wordmarks. If you're referring to the bottom on black, it may be because those have the purple as the outermost outline and I just don't think it shows as well against the black. Which leads me to believe I will not be using those outline color orders on anything black. Would probably use silver or white as the outermost one.

But for those who notice the spacing (and believe me, I did too) is it pretty prominent on the primary? Do you think I need to tweak it there? I tried connecting the 'K' and 'I', but then the 'I' is hardly distinguishable.

It seems more noticeable when the outlines are thinner, or on the single color versions. I would say bring the I in a little closer to the K, but not a lot. And use the white letter / silver outline version of the primary, so that space is less noticeable.

Archived