West Virginia Football

TalktoChuck

Quick Overview of the Program

With 663 wins, West Virginia is the winningest team in the FBS to have never won a national championship, ahead of Miami and Virginia Tech. They joined the Big East in 1991, since then they have won 5 conference titles. In the years 2005, 2006, and 2007 the Mountaineers record three consecutive 11-win seasons.

Why Mountaineers?

West Virginia is located in the heart of the Appalachian Mountains. So it makes perfect sense that the West Virginia University sports teams use the nickname Mountaineers. A mountaineer is a person who participates in mountain sports, such as: hiking, walking, trekking, and/or climbing mountains.

Now onto the Uni?s, Lately the Mountaineers have been subject to the huge ?piping? craze going around the world of sports. Their current look now, while unique is a little too much IMO. Before these they had a Bronco style uniform. So what I wanted to do is use their identity of ?Mountaineers.? What I did is I tried to incorporate mountains into the design somehow. You guys may remember the old Colorado Avalanche hockey uniforms that utilized a mountain type design. Well I used those as a reference for these. For the pants though, a mountain design didn?t work well for the pants. So I just stuck with a plain yellow and blue set of pants.

C&C Please.

Logo Sheet

W-VIR.gif

Uniforms

TexasAMAggiesHome-Copy.png

jNTsTyQ.png

With 663 wins, West Virginia is the winningest team in the FBS to have never won a national championship, ahead of Miami and Virginia Tech. They joined the Big East in 1991, since then they have won 5 conference titles. In the years 2005, 2006, and 2007 the Mountaineers record three consecutive 11-win seasons.

Why Mountaineers?

West Virginia is located in the heart of the Appalachian Mountains. So it makes perfect sense that the West Virginia University sports teams use the nickname Mountaineers. A mountaineer is a person who participates in mountain sports, such as: hiking, walking, trekking, and/or climbing mountains.

Now onto the Uni?s, Lately the Mountaineers have been subject to the huge ?piping? craze going around the world of sports. C&C Please.

What? Well that is a creative way to put it. But I don't think that was the reason they were called the Mountaineers has any thing to do with Mountain sports. Especially since they have been called the Mountaineers since 1890. It is a better guess they went with the first meaning in the dictionary-an inhabitant of a mountainous district.

As for the unis...you are going in the right direction, but the "mountains" are to symetrical. Also it doesn't work across the board, just on the blue and white jerseys. But the overall I would give it a 73/100.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

• 2 weeks later...

With 663 wins, West Virginia is the winningest team in the FBS to have never won a national championship, ahead of Miami and Virginia Tech.

I have no idea what you were trying to say. I'm pretty sure Miami has won a national championship. Several, actually.

Why is the West Virginia script different, more italicized, than on the white and blue jerseys? Maybe it's my eyes playing tricks.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I'm sorry, I just don't like the look of these at all. It looks like it's just angled lines and not mountains. I really don't see ant way you could put a mountain design on a football uniform and make it work. It might look good as a helmet or shoulder logo but not for the whole uniform.

roqymbou.pngfx32axau.png

Archived