Philadelphia MLS Team Name Finalists

Brian in Boston

God save them, those are all terrible. Philadelphia Union, which is at least somewhat neutral and inspired compared to the others, would actually work the best since it would only be a matter of weeks/days/hours before the team became unofficially known as the Onions.

Go Onions...

JerseyDatabase.com - I'm that guy...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They could have always gone back to the Swedish and picked out any combination of letters:

PIK

PIF

Philadelphias FF

IFK Philadelphia

Philadelphias IF

Philadelphias BK

IF Philadelphia

Philadelphia SK

IFK Philadelphia FK

You pick it they all mean pretty much exactly the same thing...

För vi är PIK och vi är överallt...

JerseyDatabase.com - I'm that guy...

What's an AC? Athletic Club? Fail!

Although I strongly think that football (American term for soccer) should be known as football in America, and American Football should be called American Rugby, the fact is that it is called soccer in america.

I like Philadelphia Union.

I've got the good lord is going down on meeeeeee.....

Remember that a "generic" club name like AC Philadelphia or Philadelphia FC/SC allows for a myriad of nicknames. They can get a contrived nickname like "Freedom" or a more organic name given to the team by the fans and based on their play on the field, uniform colors, local industry/culture, or anything else you can think of.

Meh,I've always hated this excuse. The fans could come up with a name right now (like how we're doing) but they're not bothering to. This is just a sneaky way to get a european sounding "city fc" name.

Your club is called DC United. Just like West Ham United (The Hammers) or Manchester United (The Red Devils) your club could be known among the supporters as any number of names (The Eagles for instance). Would you have been happier if the ownership had elected to call the team "Washington Wombats" because alliteration is cool? Or perhaps the DC Lions/Tigers/Bears/Warriors//Knights/etc?

I'm cool with a team being called the Magic, Bears or whatever. I just like the convention of soccer team nicknames being earned by the team and not assigned by the ownership before the team ever takes a kickoff.

In any event, this is the system we have so I suppose it's not worth debating.

I don't even know why you brought up the ownership. By the looks of it, they are letting the fans decide. What I'd like to see is the FANS decide on the nickname NOW and not go with a boring euro sounding 'official' name just 'cause and then pick one two games in. All the names you offered seem to be inferring that some idiot will throw something together but, like I said in my original post, the FANS would be deciding. Yes, I know the owners have the final say but, again, by the looks of it, they are leaving it up to the FANS to come up with the choices. With these choices they could come up with something that represents the local area, culture...etc.

My club is DC United. Our name is unoriginal and a blatant knockoff but luckily it has worked out for us to gain a real meaning.

Remember that a "generic" club name like AC Philadelphia or Philadelphia FC/SC allows for a myriad of nicknames. They can get a contrived nickname like "Freedom" or a more organic name given to the team by the fans and based on their play on the field, uniform colors, local industry/culture, or anything else you can think of.

Meh,I've always hated this excuse. The fans could come up with a name right now (like how we're doing) but they're not bothering to. This is just a sneaky way to get a european sounding "city fc" name.

Your club is called DC United. Just like West Ham United (The Hammers) or Manchester United (The Red Devils) your club could be known among the supporters as any number of names (The Eagles for instance). Would you have been happier if the ownership had elected to call the team "Washington Wombats" because alliteration is cool? Or perhaps the DC Lions/Tigers/Bears/Warriors//Knights/etc?

I'm cool with a team being called the Magic, Bears or whatever. I just like the convention of soccer team nicknames being earned by the team and not assigned by the ownership before the team ever takes a kickoff.

In any event, this is the system we have so I suppose it's not worth debating.

I don't even know why you brought up the ownership. By the looks of it, they are letting the fans decide. What I'd like to see is the FANS decide on the nickname NOW and not go with a boring euro sounding 'official' name just 'cause and then pick one two games in. All the names you offered seem to be inferring that some idiot will throw something together but, like I said in my original post, the FANS would be deciding. Yes, I know the owners have the final say but, again, by the looks of it, they are leaving it up to the FANS to come up with the choices. With these choices they could come up with something that represents the local area, culture...etc.

My club is DC United. Our name is unoriginal and a blatant knockoff but luckily it has worked out for us to gain a real meaning.

I'll concede the point, but only because it isn't worth arguing about any further.

Untitled-1-1.gif

Sig by TalktoChuck

Archived