Philadelphia MLS Team Name Finalists

Brian in Boston

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Soccer journalist/columnist Ives Galarcep is reporting that Philadelphia's MLS expansion team has settled on four finalists for the club's name. Supposedly, the candidates are:

Order of Finish:

1-AC Philadelphia

2-Philadelphia City

3-Philadelphia Union

4-Philadelphia SC

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

They may have to pick "Union" to get their facility in Chester built.

PHL owner's thoughts last week:

"I wish we could give you hard commitments today, but we're not even sure the stadium is going to be built," he told the Delaware County Times. "If the [financial] markets tank next month, then we won't build this thing. We'll be out $15 million and everyone goes home."

Philly MLS owner talks to Seattle P.I.

His thoughts two days later:

?The market?s fine,? he said. ?We feel that we?re in pretty good shape. Every day?s a new day, but today we feel pretty good about it.?

He speaks to a local suburban paper

I was hoping they'd follow their fan club and adopt the "Sons of Ben", but I guess that's a little strange even by MLS standards.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think Philadelphia SC (although everyone in this thread seems to hate it) is the best choice. It satisfies the Eurosnobs by not assigning the team an American style nickname, and it satisfies the American sports fan who calls the sport "soccer" and not "football".

Untitled-1-1.gif

Sig by TalktoChuck

Philadelphia City SUCK

Philadelphia SC FAIL

Philadelphia Union LOL

AC Philadelphia WINNAR

Make that AC Filadelfia..the GREEK Spelling

Don't the Greeks have different letters? And isn't "Philadelphia" in Turkey nowadays anyway?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Philadelphia City SUCK

Philadelphia SC FAIL

Philadelphia Union LOL

AC Philadelphia WINNAR

Don't the Greeks have different letters? And isn't "Philadelphia" in Turkey nowadays anyway?

Upon further review, the ruling on the field has been overturned --

"Philadelphia" (now called Alaşehir) is now located in Turkey, and the Greek spelling for the city would be "Φιλαδέλφεια."

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Philadelphia City SUCK

Philadelphia SC FAIL

Philadelphia Union LOL

AC Philadelphia WINNAR

Or AC Filly... the Charlie Day spelling. ^_^

or AC File' ... with the accent on the e. but I like Philadelphia Union like someone said it reminds me of DC United name.

Philadelphia City SUCK

Philadelphia SC FAIL

Philadelphia Union LOL

AC Philadelphia WINNAR

Upon further review, the ruling on the field has been overturned --

"Philadelphia" (now called Alaşehir) is now located in Turkey, and the Greek spelling for the city would be "Φιλαδέλφεια."

I'd totally be in favor of "FC Φιλαδέλφεια."

I was really hoping Keystones would be on that list. The best one on there is Union, but that name sounds more suited for a team in the Rust Belt.

I guess I could live with Phily SC. At least it would lend itself to an organic nickname from the fans.

Archived