Philadelphia MLS Team Name Finalists

Brian in Boston

I was really hoping Keystones would be on that list. The best one on there is Union, but that name sounds more suited for a team in the Rust Belt.

I guess I could live with Phily SC. At least it would lend itself to an organic nickname from the fans.

FC Keystone has a nice ring to it. And it lends itself easily to a (horrible) shirt sponsor!

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember that a "generic" club name like AC Philadelphia or Philadelphia FC/SC allows for a myriad of nicknames. They can get a contrived nickname like "Freedom" or a more organic name given to the team by the fans and based on their play on the field, uniform colors, local industry/culture, or anything else you can think of.

Untitled-1-1.gif

Sig by TalktoChuck

I'm not a fan of any four of those names. The AC and SC monikers indicate that there's an actual athletic club or sporting club in Philadelphia where the team derives from. Both are too Euro-wannabe for my tastes.

Philadelphia Union does indeed sound like a bank. Philadelphia City isn't bad.

What would have been wrong with Philadelphia FC? D'uh!

I'm not a fan of any four of those names. The AC and SC monikers indicate that there's an actual athletic club or sporting club in Philadelphia where the team derives from. Both are too Euro-wannabe for my tastes.

Out of curiosty, why are the AC and SC monikers "too Euro-wannabe" and FC isn't?

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

Air Conditioner Philedelphia? What the hell does AC stands for?

ac-slater-232x300.jpg

that got a laugh out of me. :D

anyways, all these are horrible. i didnt think the "lets use european soccer club naming" fad would last in MLS, but here we are with Real Salt Lake, Toronto FC, FC Dallas..... gawd not another one.

Union is I guess the most tolerable.

My thoughts on each of the candidates...

Philadelphia AC - A lame attempt to get around the fact that this franchise would love to be officially called Philadelphia Athletic, Philadelphia Athletic Club or Athletic Philadelphia, but Major League Baseball's control of the historic Philadelphia Athletics trademark stands in the way of such a branding. The problem is exacerbated by the fact that most Philadelphians think of Atlantic City when they hear the abbreviation "AC".

Philadelphia City - Generally speaking, a soccer club carries the "City" sobriquet to identify itself as the one team of several in a single metropolitan area to actually play within the core municipality. Given that there will be just one MLS franchise calling Greater Philadelphia home, and it won't actually be based within the City of Philadelphia, this name makes no sense whatsoever.

Philadelphia SC - I will give it credit for utilizing "SC", short for Soccer Club, as the abbreviation. After all, soccer is the preferred term for the sport here in the United States. That said, it is boring in the extreme.

Philadelphia Union - The best of a decidedly bad lot... provided that team management plays-up the idea that the name pays homage to Philadelphia's role in bringing together a union of the original thirteen colonies, as well as the fact that the franchise will bring together a "union" of soccer supporters from throughout Southeastern Pennsylvania, Southern New Jersey and Delaware.

Frankly, I'd have opted for something along the lines of Keystone Athletic Club or Philadelphia Keystone AC.

Remember that a "generic" club name like AC Philadelphia or Philadelphia FC/SC allows for a myriad of nicknames. They can get a contrived nickname like "Freedom" or a more organic name given to the team by the fans and based on their play on the field, uniform colors, local industry/culture, or anything else you can think of.

Meh,I've always hated this excuse. The fans could come up with a name right now (like how we're doing) but they're not bothering to. This is just a sneaky way to get a european sounding "city fc" name.

Out of curiosty, why are the AC and SC monikers "too Euro-wannabe" and FC isn't?

Because the prefix "AC" stands for "athletic club", which, traditionally, indicates that the club also has other sports. AS Roma (the club) didn't just offer soccer football as a sport- the club also had cricket and other sports teams. Will the new Philly franchise offer basketball, cycling and cricket as well as soccer? If they will, I stand corrected.

I make the same argument for "SC", within the context of "sporting club." However, if you designate "SC" as "soccer club", it makes more sense, although I think Soccer Club sounds alot more forced than Football Club. I just think, personally, that "AC" and "SC" sound much, much too contrived for an MLS club, unless those monikers are truly accurate. That's all.

Because the prefix "AC" stands for "athletic club", which, traditionally, indicates that the club also has other sports. AS Roma (the club) didn't just offer soccer football as a sport- the club also had cricket and other sports teams. Will the new Philly franchise offer basketball, cycling and cricket as well as soccer? If they will, I stand corrected.

I make the same argument for "SC", within the context of "sporting club." However, if you designate "SC" as "soccer club", it makes more sense, although I think Soccer Club sounds alot more forced than Football Club. I just think, personally, that "AC" and "SC" sound much, much too contrived for an MLS club, unless those monikers are truly accurate. That's all.

There already is a Philadelphia Cricket Club as well as clubs for... well pretty much anything (like most big cities have.) I agree that the AC implies that the organization will be sponsoring more than just soccer, which is why it fails.

I still wish they went with "Sons of Ben" but that obviously ain't happening.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Meh,I've always hated this excuse. The fans could come up with a name right now (like how we're doing) but they're not bothering to. This is just a sneaky way to get a european sounding "city fc" name.

Your club is called DC United. Just like West Ham United (The Hammers) or Manchester United (The Red Devils) your club could be known among the supporters as any number of names (The Eagles for instance). Would you have been happier if the ownership had elected to call the team "Washington Wombats" because alliteration is cool? Or perhaps the DC Lions/Tigers/Bears/Warriors//Knights/etc?

I'm cool with a team being called the Magic, Bears or whatever. I just like the convention of soccer team nicknames being earned by the team and not assigned by the ownership before the team ever takes a kickoff.

In any event, this is the system we have so I suppose it's not worth debating.

Untitled-1-1.gif

Sig by TalktoChuck

Archived