2009 MLB Season Thread

Gary

I don't know what it is, but I just have the feeling Strasburg's going down as one of the biggest flops in MLB history.

Right along side of this guy:

brien%20taylor.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Even if Strasburg chokes, the owners will never learn.

Learn what? Despite the possibility of him being a flop, had the 'Nats' ownership decided to pass with that being the reason, they'd have been crucified in the media, by their fans, and (I'm sure most importantly!) by us. Yet, if they do what it takes to sign him, and he fails, then they get crucified by the media, the fans, and (I'm sure most importantly!) by us.

Kind of a crappy situation to be in...

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Baseball is different though. In every other sport, the top draft picks will get a chance to help their teams right away. But in baseball, there is still a ton of development to do before they are Major League Ready. Yes the Nats are gonna put him out there next year and it will be too soon. Then he will have about an 8.00 ERA after April but they will keep him around anyway instead of letting him work it out in the minors because they are paying him so much. Even coming out of college, baseball players have a long way to go to compete in the Majors. Of course there are always going to be special cases, but pushing even the best up to the Majors too soon can hurt them in the long run.

So then you would have passed on him...

So then you would have passed on him...

Like you said, there is a good chance that things would not work out so good either way the Nats went. Pitchers are tricky because so much can go wrong with them before they even reach the Majors. You are taking a gamble any time you draft a pitcher that has not faced anyone higher than college level.

They were in a position where they had to draft him. If I was in charge of that in the Nats organization, I would probably feel that way too. So no, I wouldn't pass on him. But by not passing on him, they had to throw all of this money at him to even get him to sign, then they are going to run him out there next season when he isn't ready and potentially mess him up.

If he had gone to a less desperate team, he would probably be in the minors for at least a year doing the normal developmental stuff that the kids down there do. But the Nats need him so badly that they are gonna run him out there when he's not ready.

It's one of those situations like you said; if they don't draft him they are screwed. If they do draft him, they are screwed. Strasburg is one of those guys that a team with the first pick has to take. Otherwise, I would go with a position player. That still doesn't make it right that they had to give him all that money right off the bat because now they are almost obligated to run him out there before he's ready and then we will have another draft bust to talk about.

Since all of you guys have the ability to see the future, can someone find me 2 stocks that will increase their price 10 times in the next oh...month or so?

I could really use the money, thanks.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Wow, don't think I've ever seen a pitcher pulled in the first inning, with a 3-0 count on the opposing pitcher! That's just the manager showing him up. Why not let him at least finish pitching to that batter?

EDIT: Of course the reliever comes in, comes back and Ks the pitcher, so what do I know?

WTF???

A ball gets stuck under the padding, the outfielder throws his hands up and just stands there, and the umpires just sit there and let the guy run around the bases for an ITP HR? What happened to ground rules???

Since all of you guys have the ability to see the future, can someone find me 2 stocks that will increase their price 10 times in the next oh...month or so?

I could really use the money, thanks.

My sentiments exactly. There's a lot of bastardization that Strasburg will never pan out and it's all speculation at this point. It's not like the Nats are throwing him into the rotation come Monday. As a fan of a moribund franchise, we've desperately needed the positive press as much (making Rizzo the permanent GM helped this past week too) as possible as it has been quite a roller coaster season, from the front office stance. At this point, the Nats cannot do any worse than the product they've trotted out onto the field the past few seasons.

Wow, don't think I've ever seen a pitcher pulled in the first inning, with a 3-0 count on the opposing pitcher! That's just the manager showing him up. Why not let him at least finish pitching to that batter?

EDIT: Of course the reliever comes in, comes back and Ks the pitcher, so what do I know?

Good question, although I think the fact that Philly got through the order in one half inning is reason enough to pull the starter.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Good question, although I think the fact that Philly got through the order in one half inning is reason enough to pull the starter.

With a 3-0 count on the batter?

With a 3-0 count on the batter?

If the reliever starts slow, you could be looking at another run or two. He almost gave Pedro a base.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

WTF???

A ball gets stuck under the padding, the outfielder throws his hands up and just stands there, and the umpires just sit there and let the guy run around the bases for an ITP HR? What happened to ground rules???

Apparently, in Citi Field, the ground rule states that balls under the pad are in play, but balls stuck in a vertical gap in the pad are ground-rule doubles. That's different than most parks, and I'm not sure if the umpires didn't explain the rules to the players, didn't know the rules, or if Shane Victorino is just an idiot. All three are distinct possibilities.

I think the Tigers did it in 1927 too

What a day for Eric Bruntlett

-- 3 hits to raise his average 29 points in a span of 5 innings

-- loses a 4th hit because the umps overturned a catch by Francoeur that was ruled a trap

-- back-to-back errors in the 9th to continue another Brad Lidge meltdown and bring the winning run (Francoeur) to the plate

-- runners take off....line drive caught, steps on 2nd, tags Murphy

GAME OVER :wacko:

WTF???

Apparently, in Citi Field, the ground rule states that balls under the pad are in play, but balls stuck in a vertical gap in the pad are ground-rule doubles. That's different than most parks, and I'm not sure if the umpires didn't explain the rules to the players, didn't know the rules, or if Shane Victorino is just an idiot. All three are distinct possibilities.

Blame it on the a-a-a-a-a-alcohol, blame it on the a-a-a-a-a-alcohol...

shane-victorino-beer-cup.jpg

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I think the Tigers did it in 1927 too
Not quite, but they said it on the broadcast as a first... not quite. Pirates did it in 1925.

EDIT: Upon further research... no, you're right on the Tigers - though this is the first time in NL history and the first time it's been in the bottom of the ninth.

LvZYtbZ.png

Archived