Japan WBC Concept

TwoRsAndTwoLs

JapanWBCSet.gif

Major influences:

Past Olympics/International baseball

Yomiuri Giants (Japanese Professional Baseball's "Yankees")

Player Numbers from WBC

NB: Forgive the graphite-looking hat. It is meant to be black, but I feared that black would make the cap's lines disappear.

C&C?

You can add The Bad News Bears Go To Japan as a referance as well:

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2162859264/tt0077199

Japan to me is red and white, not black and red. Also, the font doesn't say Japanese to me, I feel that a more modern font would work better. I understand where you came from, and considering the influences, its not a bad concept, but I'm not sold yet.

McCutchen6_zps336cbf93.png

Japan to me is red and white, not black and red. Also, the font doesn't say Japanese to me, I feel that a more modern font would work better. I understand where you came from, and considering the influences, its not a bad concept, but I'm not sold yet.

How's this for a quick mock-up?

JapanMk2.gif

In case it's not clear, the home jersey has a silver stroke on the numbers and name on the back. I generally like one color design, but I wanted to keep some accent going on here.

Every Fifth Day is a

HappyFelixDay.gif

To me this looks better than the original. I like the use of red more. Great job.

I spent an hour or two on the original concept trying to get the "J" and the "P" to look like I wanted, so I'm a little happier with that personally. On the other hand, I only worked with this one for a short time, but I think the "J-circle" looks pretty solid. Sometimes you need simple design.

Every Fifth Day is a

HappyFelixDay.gif

The first looks great, but why not try navy blue in place of the black? That's what Japan has used as long as I can remember. Maybe you could also try one of those unique pinstripe patterns they've used in the past, like the one in the first picture you linked.

RE: Navy/red instead of black/red on the first concept...

My major concern with using navy is that so many teams will be some version of blue and red. Just quickly, I count Chinese Taipei, Cuba, the USA, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, and Panama with those colors. If they all go that way, that's already 6 teams in a 16 team tournament with blue and red, before we put Japan in that column. The only other team I wager would use red and black is Canada.

However, I am aware that Japan used a navy blue last time out in the WBC and also their national teams in soccer wear blue, so I'm a bit torn.

I guess it comes down to what color of navy you want to go with. I did some quick paintbucket work with the wordmark:

JapanWordmarkMk11.gif

Which do you prefer? I like the top one a little more, but I think the blue of the bottom more closely matches the last Japan WBC entry. And of course I like the top one more, because it's closer to black, which is what I'd really prefer to do. :P

Every Fifth Day is a

HappyFelixDay.gif

Archived