PANTONE names?

Conrad.

i'm about 95% sure that those "nicknames" are just names companies give to the pantone values....

the official "name" for a pantone value is pms 1111 c or pantone matching system - number - coated, uncoated, etc.

the "names" aren't reconized by pantone...thats the whole point in the numbers.

but i might be totally off

footer_helmet.gif

i'm about 95% sure that those "nicknames" are just names companies give to the pantone values....

the official "name" for a pantone value is pms 1111 c or pantone matching system - number - coated, uncoated, etc.

the "names" aren't reconized by pantone...thats the whole point in the numbers.

but i might be totally off

I think you are correct roxstarmedia, majority of colours don't have names they just have codes, including Pantone/BS/Ral etc

logo.png

Obviously, Colorwerx is the guy who knows about this. If I'm not mistaken, the "standard" print colors are identified by numbers. The textile ( home and interior, et al) colors do have both names and numbers. As others have said, most of the names used by teams are what they call the colors.

It's my understanding that the color "names" are designated by the company that uses them. Coca-Cola for example uses PMS 484, or "Coca-Cola Red" as it has been coined.

My school, SVSU uses PMS 288 ("SVSU Blue") and PMS 187 ("SVSU Red"). I'm sure nobody in the world outside of SVSU calls in "SVSU Blue", so different colors could have many different names.

Obviously, Colorwerx is the guy who knows about this. If I'm not mistaken, the "standard" print colors are identified by numbers. The textile ( home and interior, et al) colors do have both names and numbers. As others have said, most of the names used by teams are what they call the colors.

He mentioned this on one of the Detroit Lions threads. The fabric/textile version of the Lions' Honolulu Blue is called "Daphne" by Pantone.

i'm pretty sure the Pantone system is numerical only.

here's a brief rundown of their offerings

http://www.pantone.com/pages/pantone/Panto...=20051&ca=1

(btw, for print we use CMYK colorspace and PMS Solid Coated palattes)

Yeah, but look down the list on that link:

FASHION + HOME

(examples PANTONE 14?4510 TPX or Aquatic, PANTONE 15?1247 TC or Tangerine):

Color reference numbers in this system contain two digits followed by a dash and four digits with either a TPX or TC suffix. TPX indicates that that the reference was printed on paper, the TC indicates that it?s a dyed cotton reference. Each color also has an alpha name reference as a secondary identifier.

PAINTS + INTERIORS

(examples PANTONE 14?4510 TPX or Aquatic, PANTONE 15?1247 TC or Tangerine):

Color reference numbers in this system contain two digits followed by a dash and four digits with either a TPX or TC suffix. TPX indicates that that the reference was printed on paper, the TC indicates that it?s a dyed cotton reference. Each color also has an alpha name reference as a secondary identifier.

Emphasis mine, natch.

Some of the Color Systems use names in addition to the number designations. Now, the teams (or companies, or anybody else who uses this) can apply their own names to colors as well, as in the case of the Lions and "Honolulu Blue"/"Daphne".

Archived